The Territory Ahead Reviews

1 Rating

1. A lot of standing around

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The Territory Ahead part-time (less than a year)

Pros

When the manager was not there, I would bring my homework so that I wasn't just mindlessly walking around the store all day. The commission was pretty standard, but when I made big sales i felt it on my pay check.

Cons

The manager was inexperienced and was having a power trip. He also insisted on making sales to receive commission, even though he was already making significantly more then the sales associates and key holders. Also, since the brand only attracts a small niche of customers, we made very little sales from day to day.

Don't be greedy, treat your employees right.

2. Good brand lost their way

Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at The Territory Ahead full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual, work-life balance. Great products and overall quality. Loved living in Santa Barbara and near the ocean.

Cons

The company was struggling to survive and losing money. There didn't seem to be any sort of urgency to fix problems. The biggest problem was the constant attempts to "fix" womens merchandising.

Focus on the brand. Reconnect to things like the Journey and recapture the soul of what made The Territory Ahead stand out from the pack of competitors.

3. Will the last one leaving please turn out the lights?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at The Territory Ahead full-time

Pros

Once was a great company that had a thriving culture based on hard work, creative expression, and support for new ideas. The people made the company and their dedication and hard work paid off in the ability to grow a brand that filled a rather unique market niche. The customers loved the quality / off beat designs of the clothing and the vendor base was loyal and committed to excellence.

Cons

Over the years, there has been a definate loss of vision and direction. The life and soul of the company was lost under the HSN corporate business structure and it has been a slow and steady death of the brand since 2008. Management has had little insight of how to turn the brand around in order to make the company profitable again. 2012 has been a horrific year of constantly changing game plans, lack of leadership / vision, alienating the workforce as well as customers and overall lack of concern for all things that made the brand successful in the first place.

Because of your lack of leadership, inability to connect with the TTA customer and failed financial planning, you have basically killed the company.

5. Great people, bad management practices

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

Despite their lack of real leadership and company direction, they tend to attract great people.

Cons

Lots of change all the time with upper management. no clear plan for the future

Hire some good managers and give everyone a reason to stay.

6. No Longer the Cool Little Local Homegrown Clothing Co. from SB But Still A Great Place to Work With Lots of Great People

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

If you have to work for a living in Santa Barbara (most of us do) it's pretty cool to work for a company that designs their own clothing and catalog and website. That means lots of hard-working creative types and lots of hardworking analytical and number crunching types.

By and large, The Territory Ahead is filled with really great, smart and dedicated people who want to see the company succeed. There has been quite a bit of turnover in senior management. One VP is fabulous - a really good manager. Hard working, unflappable, warm-hearted, creative. Someone who cares about his people and is excellent at sharing company direction and communicating other pertinent information with the team.

Cons

As the company has grown from its roots as a small local operation, it has lost most of the heart and soul that made it such a great place to work. It's lost many loyal and dedicated employees that used to really enjoy the work environment because they felt like part of a family and that senior management acknowledged and appreciated their contributions and treated them well in many different ways. But that often happens as a company grows and the folks who started the business move on or get replaced with new people who lack the vision, passion and charisma of the original founders.

It has become a challenging place to work with fewer people having to do more and more work on an unrelenting and grueling pace. True for lots of companies out there these days, but it is impossible to have motivated employees if they feel constantly under the gun.

Find visionaries who can grow the company in a new direction without sacrificing the core identity of the Territory Ahead brand.

If you can't acknowledge employees' hard work, dedication and results with pay increases, you still must find tangible, concrete ways to reward and motivate them or you'll lose more and more smart and talented people. Some short and long-term positive motivation has to be layered in to foster a more productive and happy work environment.

7. Too many chefs in the kitchen

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

The company is located in beautiful Santa Barbara right on State Street and just Blocks from the beach. You can bring your dog to work and the culture is pretty relaxed. There are some really solid individuals at the company.

Cons

The company seems to be going in numerous different directions. They can't decide who the customer is- young or old, loud or subdued, man or woman. Some of the stronger personalities are really driving the business in different directions based on their gut instincts which may be out of touch. This causes a contentious work environment.

Fire the few rotten seeds that are destroying any possible chance of following a single strategic direction. Then return the company to the premium brand it used to be and make clothes that meet the customers needs. The Territory Ahead is NOT J. Crew!

8. A fun and relaxed place to work

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

Certainly there is something to be said about location. The Territory Ahead is located in down Santa Barbara, which is a very fun and enjoyable place to be. It also allowed for the company culture to thrive. There were many roof top BBQ’s, happy hours with coworkers and curbside celebrations during the parades on State Street. The attire is casual and they even allow you to bring your dog to work (If you have an office)! The size of the corporate headquarters was not too big and not too small. It allowed for some structure yet comfortable communication. It was also interesting to see the entire life cycle under one roof. The clothes were designed there, the catalog was designed there, it all happened in one place.

Cons

It was a pleasant working environment but like any other place there was always some sort of corporate politics and gossip going on. There sometimes seemed to be double standards when it came to work ethic depending on your position, like how many hours you worked, for example. After The Territory Ahead was purchased by IAC (Inter Active Corp) the culture did change a bit. Things began to feel far more corporate, certain holidays disappeared, new rulebooks appeared and a new president was brought it that just didn’t seem to fit the laid back culture the company was founded on.

I would tell senior management to pay attention to the gossip because it can be toxic. Keep the lines of communication very open. Such a small place will breed negativity especially when rumors begin to spread. Also, people didn’t seem to relate to senior management at all. That seemed to be a significant problem when I was there.

9. Not a very inspiring or motivating place to work.

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

The store was beautifully merchandised, with creative graphics and displays.

Cons

When I look back on my time with this company, I can only shake my head and wonder that I ever worked there. This was a strange company to work for and for the most part, store management was never treated like management by corporate - we were just there to run the store for corporate and carry out their orders.

Let the managers manage and feel ownership of the store. More positive feedback or recognition of work well done does wonders for morale when sales are not where you want them to be AND WE KNOW IT.

10. Change came too late.

I worked at The Territory Ahead

Pros

As a whole employees are incredibly passionate about the brand. There is a sincere sense of friendship & community amongst the teams.

Cons

Upper management has no clue how to lead the teams in apparel manufacturing functions. There is a lack of direction and expertise in this arena.