The Test People

Updated October 14, 2014
4.2

CEO

Fast Paced Promotion for Talented Staff

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at The Test People full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company grows at a rate of knots meaning new opportunities open up frequently. The technical team gets very substantial R&D time, sometimes 50%, to work on interesting problems relating to fields like big data, image matching and data visualization. There is great training and learning provision with internal courses and a healthy budget for external courses. Consultancy work genuinely takes into account personal circumstances - though one may be sent to Coventry at a days notice good planning and ethical leadership means that is very very rarely the case.

Cons

The company grows at a rate of knots meaning the structure is evolving all the time. Some people like a dependable and fairly fixed structure which is often a challenge to find at the company.

Keep at it!

Rapid personal development for those who want it

Current Employee - Lead Test Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Test Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at The Test People full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No limits placed on your potential and career, whether your direction is technical, testing, leadership or a mix, great autonomy for learning and development if you wish to pursue it.

Cons

Learning and people development is sometimes neglected for client delivery work, being distributed across many sites can make communication hard.

Maintain the small company community while transforming into a larger one

The Test People Response

Sep 16, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thanks for the feedback, with the recent creation of an employee committee and other new events coming up we hope to keep the culture we have in place and keep it growing.

A very exciting place to work right now

Current Employee - Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at The Test People full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firstly, the Culture is great, and there is a good Community feel, has internal social media and lots of social activities on a monthly basis. Every quarter the directors stand up and tell you whats going on too!
    You work on Great Projects with Big Companies many of which have hard interesting problems to solve.
    Its easy to enjoy going to work as although you need to deliver you aren't pressurized to do so which confusingly make you work harder!
    We have been winning awards so that makes you pretty proud

Cons

With any growing company there are growing pains (but they get addressed)
    Need to make sure more people get involved in the culture side
    Training whilst there maybe needs pushing a little harder

Keep listening and don't get too big company focused

A very vibrant company to work for.

I have been working at The Test People full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a recent Graduate, working at The Test People has been a really great start to my career.

The company has very strong values, and works hard to make sure employees feel supported and appreciated.

There are also very good opportunities for career progression, with investment in training, and the flexibility to try out different areas and follow the path which interests you the most.

There is also a great social side to working here, with social events at least once a month, which contributes to the strong feeling of being part of a 'community'. The Directors are also always available to talk to and get advice from, and have regular events to keep you informed about what's going on in the company.

The company has also won lots of awards recently, and there is a real sense that it's going places. It's a very exciting place to be working!

Cons

Have not yet come across any.

Fantastic opportunities at a fantastic growing company

Current Employee - Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at The Test People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Better opportunities to progress than most places as the company grows (providing you put the work in)
     - Great working environment
     - Modern outlook on testing / always looking at new ways of working

Cons

- If you are client based you don't get to see a lot of the good things, unless you look for them yourself

Need to find a way of engaging client based staff more in the good things happening at HO

The Test People: A highly professional and focused approach to working, with a relaxed and trusting atmosphere...

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at The Test People full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Test People, situated in Leeds City Centre, couldn't be more convenient for me in terms of getting to work. I can walk there in 45 mins, or get the bus on lazy Fridays, within in 10 mins. And what more could I ask for in terms of a sometimes unnecessary list of immediately nearby amenities.

The premises and office itself is spacious, clean and open plan, and for me, this works. Communication is easy and going to talk to people isn't an issue at all. In fact, the MD sits with us and can be often heard chatting away (to himself). This really all adds to the main point with working for the The Test People - the positive, friendly and focused atmosphere. You cannot help but abide by it, as doing otherwise would simply result in you casting yourself overboard. There is a genuine feeling of 'in it together'ness here and and it's a pleasure to be a part of that.

When it comes to my role, I am working as part of a small team on a current test project. As a new comer, I have learnt a great deal on the job and have found encouraging to get my hands dirty and involved in the work itself, right from the word go!

In February, I will be undertaking the full time Training Academy role. This is a great opportunity in which I will be formally learning all the techniques, practices, terminologies and procedures involved in software testing, which is accredited with an internationally recognised exam and certificate. This kind of in-house career enhancement is something I've not experienced before, and is priceless in terms of work experience and skills for the future.

Even if software testing has not been your forte so far, an analytical and intelligent mind, a willingness to learn, and a positive and friendly attitude are the winning criteria for this brilliant company to put trust in your abilities. Get stuck in and the rest will come naturally.

Cons

Being situated in Leeds city centre, I am often tempted by the many material objects sold in nearby premises, ranging from chocolate bars and coffee to iPads and DSLRs.... (hardly their fault though?!)

They could do with some more desk space to allow every staff member to have their own personal desk, and unfortunately I personally find the office is a tad warm. They really could do with better ventilation or air-conditioning (but I hear they're working on that one!).

The Test People Response

Sep 16, 2014Head of Recruitment

Hopefully moving in to our new offices with air conditioning and plenty of extra desks has solved your issues... Sorry about the fab location though.

Too much diplomacy for small company

I have been working at The Test People full-time (less than an year)

Pros

struggle to find any during my time

Cons

As this company is growing the advice around the management is as worse as it can get. Management people have their favorites in this company. So you could be doing nothing and still be getting paid where else others could be doing a lot and still no sign of appreciation.

Be considerate of employee situation. Stop making false promises you cant keep

Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at The Test People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to start up a career in testing.
    Company gives you space to learn well.

Cons

Still a growing firm , may not get