The Toro Group Reviews

1. Best product, best marketing I have seen in my 30+ years in industry

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at The Toro Group full-time

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working with the CEO in an outside sales capacity for years and I have to say this agency's work is the best I have ever seen in my 30+ years in this industry -- and getting better. Great creative, packaged right, priced right. It's an easy sale for me as an outside salesperson in my territory. My experience is that commissions are paid same day so there has never been a problem receiving my checks.

Not sure why there is an attempt to slander the company by this other reviewer, but my experience is great company, great product, great pay plan. Everything I have seen is above board.

Cons

On bigger projects turnaround sometimes can take too long - maybe get more artists to turn things around faster.

Expand outside of the east coast. Hire more artists to help managers.

2. Worked at The Toro Group as Account Coordinator Out of College

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at The Toro Group

Pros

Worked on different projects directly with clients and media reps. Most clients would contact me directly to work with them on projects. I personally worked with about 10-15 clients so work was overwhelming at certain times of the month. Met with CEO every morning to review work for the day and had professional rapport with him.

If you are looking to learn about the advertising or marketing industry this is a good place to be because you will be involved in many different aspects of the industry day to day (digital and traditional).

Cons

Smallish company but learned a lot about digital marketing (website design (and basic HTML), marketing, pay-per-click campaigns, search engine optimization, mailers). Most clients were easy going , but some were demanding at times when they needed work done quickly. No bonuses for entry-level managers.

Offer bonuses for entry level people (graphic designers and account managers). Wanted more involvement in marketing conceptualization and planning.

Excessive use of Futura/Impact fonts, primary colors, and "KW"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Reston, VA

I worked at The Toro Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great group of co-workers who performed well under extreme pressure
    - Walking distance to Silver Line metro and less than 5 minute drive to RTC
    - Learned a lot about the automotive industry and established DMV dealership connections

Cons

- Revolving door of employees. There were never more than 6 employees working with company on staff at one time
    - Work-life balance was tricky. Leaving at 5 was frowned upon, regardless if work was completed in 8 hours
    - CEO delved into employees' personal lives and gossiped with family and the office ("mean girl" mentality)
    - Bringing up concerns about working environment could be used as grounds for termination
    - Difficult getting reimbursed for job-related expenses
    - Lack of originality in design. There were only so many ways one could make something "POP" by "COB"
    - Benefits didn't kick in until after 3 months of employment. Pay scale was also extremely low for designers

The Toro Group (now known as Dealer 360 Marketing) has taught me to never underestimate my value as a designer and working professional in the advertising/marketing industry. Though I had an unfortunate experience working with the CEO, I did walk away from his company more sound and determined to never settle for a position out of desperation. There is a reason why the majority of the employees are in their early to mid 20's and leave less than 2 years after working with this company. These individuals are green, talented, and will always look for the light at the end of the tunnel no matter how often the CEO tries to invent new ways to black it out.

My advice to current and prospective employees: Know your worth and follow your gut instincts! If needed, seek guidance from past employees! We will find a way to help you!

My advice to CEO: The issues you have with retaining client relationships, current and past employees, and business practices... they aren't going to go away by merely changing your company name. Get to the root of the issue by seeking professional help from a therapist and investing in a good business partner with experience in maintaining good business relationships and hiring staff members who can help rebuild a fallen company. Pay these employees fairly and reward them for excelling and sticking around!

Feb 20, 2015Vice-President

The review is appreciated but we would like to address several inaccurate comments made in the above post, but before we do we would like address an important point: This review was not written by a ... More

Micro Managed and Outdated; Horrible Place to Work

I worked at The Toro Group

Pros

The co-workers are great and KW does have an eye for hiring eager, loyal and driven young professionals. Less than 10 employees allows all workers to become close and familiar with each other creating a family environment. CEO is charming and a great salesman as the company will seem great for the first few months. Benefits aren't bad but insurance companies and providers change frequently for best deal.

Cons

- He forces current employees to write great reviews on Glassdoor (hint, hint all the 5/5 stars on here)
    - Comp days have to be earned by KW World standards meaning working 10 hour days 4/5 days a week and agreeing with his gossip and not defending yourself or others will grant you a vacation day
    - Production artists and account managers are given impossible tasks that he will gladly admit he set them up to fail to "bring them down a notch" (or because he's just annoyed with them that they came in late the day before due to ice or illness)
    - VERY slow to adapt better practices (they still used Corel Draw as of 2013 and just starting using social media recently)
    - Creative ideas are welcome but never executed (same template for everything)
    - Forced to get "fake" ads approved by the automotive manufacturer for their money and then non-compliance ads would run (very unethical)

It's no coincidence that the reviews range from really low to really high. Clearly the high ones are faked (constructive cons are a dead giveaway) and the low ones are actually provided by former employees. After the first negative review received on here (which he reported to get it taken down), the CEO forced all 5 of his employees at the time to write positive reviews or lose their job.
    In defense to me and all past coworkers: please stop fabricating why no one at your company has been there more than 3 years - there is only one reason and that is you. Also, please stop lying about why past employees left and how terribly they are doing now like working at Target or ran off with a boyfriend. We all left for one reason...
    To the response this is bound to get: why would someone fake a bad review with so much detail? You need to work on making your responses less defensive; it confirms the company is guilty.

Mar 3, 2015Vice-President

This review has been posted by the same person who is claiming to be a production artist, graphic designer, and an account coordinator (she held none of these positions in this office).

Instead
    ... More

A micro-managed, under appreciated position at an extremely small company.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reston, VA

I worked at The Toro Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive starting salary, great location in the heart of Reston

Cons

Outdated equipment/software, Micro managing company owner, extremely long hours, no benefits package, small work space, no work/life balance, very little guidance

You need to establish multiple departments within your organization lead by professionals within their respected fields. Also, you need to establish a work/life balance, otherwise you will have constant turnover and a steady decline in business.

Feb 20, 2015Vice-President

The review is appreciated but we would like to address several inaccurate comments made in the above post:

1. There is no micro-management at this company. Though there is always a ramp-up period
    ... More

Love the advertising industry, great experience

I worked at The Toro Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked for The Toro Group for about 2 years and found there to be a good balance of interacting with Clients, vendors, and media contacts on a regular basis and having the opportunity to carry out projects from beginning to end.

Most days are very busy with a variety of projects to get out for Clients, or the Agency. Hard working, diligent group of professionals that take their work seriously and are focused on getting the job done.

Cons

Though there was some overlap week-to-week with responsibliities, every day was unique with different projects to get out (print ads, radio, tv, direct mail, collateral, digital-related marketing).

Always busy, excellent opportunity for career advancement

Former Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA

I worked at The Toro Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work was never boring, and I was always challenged with interesting projects. Because it is a full-service ad agency, I learned a lot about all components of advertising (internet and traditional), marketing, media, and Client relations. Overall, excellent opportunity to advance a career and a major catalyst for me professionally.

Cons

Hours were sometimes heavy, but they were balanced with comp days and time off.

None

A great way to gain advertising experience and learn to manage a multitude of projects.

Current Employee - Production Artist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Toro Group

Pros

Working at the Toro Group, you will gain plenty of experience - learning to manage a multitude of tasks and projects- while working side-by-side with co-workers who are very willing to help out whenever possible. This is a good place to help further a career in advertsing and will prepare you for just about anything.

Cons

This isn't an easy job, and will require someone who can handle a multitude of tasks and projects without stressing easily.

Decent salary but poorly run w little clients

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at The Toro Group

Pros

salary, exposure to different types of media, good group of coworkers, good bonuses, manage all parts of accounts, learn automotive world

Cons

poor management, asked to do things uncomfortably, cannot be promoted, management puts personal a head of performance, unattainable sales numbers w/ few bonuses or benefits I never knew if i was going to get my cut of a sale

The Toro Group has allowed me to merge from my knowledge in sales to growth in the advertising/marketing field.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Toro Group

Pros

As an account executive, you are entrenched in dealing with all aspects of advertising and CRM- graphics, selling, accounting, project management, relationship management, and brand compliance management.

Cons

Much of the training is based on on the job experience. Although it was tough at first, learning the business through trial and error on my own has really helped me work as an independant employee allowing me to take my manager out of the equation.