The Trade Desk Reviews

1. Killer Tech Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer, DevOps in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer, DevOps in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Trade Desk is an awesome company in so many ways. Their technology is some of the best and most challenging I've seen in the industry. I've worked for four tech companies in my 15-year career, and The Trade Desk is hands down my favorite. As a software engineer, I love working for a company that drives technology and moves incredibly fast.

When I interviewed, I was told a lot about the company's culture and how they aim to protect it. Having heard that from other companies, I didn't think much of it. However, after working here, I understand why. Everyone is incredibly friendly and incredibly good at what they do. Everyone I've talked to loves working here. It's a very positive and motivating environment. The leadership at all levels is constantly praising the employees and crediting them with the company's success.

To top it off, the company pays 100% of employee benefits, offers equity, pays for lunches, has snacks and a ping-pong table, and offers many other comforts and freebies. To me, these are secondary to being able to work on great technology, but it shows how much the company values its employees.

I couldn't be happier working for The Trade Desk. It's an outstanding company, and I look forward to coming to work here every day.

Cons

I have yet to find any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Stolz dabei zu sein und den Wachstum des Unternehmens voranzutreiben.

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at The Trade Desk

Pros

Tolles Unternehmen, globale Zusammenarbeit und ein Team das unvergleichbar ist. Inhaber mit großer Liebe zum Produkt und toller Vision. Sehr gutes Management - Spannendes & forderndes Umfeld. Alle Mitarbeiter erhalten Unternehmensanteile und werden am Erfolg des Unternehmens maßgeblich beteiligt.

Cons

Wandel von Start Up mit 50 Mitarbeiter zu globalem Unternehmen mit mehreren hundert. Produkt Individualisierung in den einzelnen Märkten.

Best company ever, really excited to go to work everyday!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, feels like a family, technically challenging, fast growth, working on a system that has to scale to above a million queries per second, great snacks, awesome benefits, 401k matching, medical is better than we had at Microsoft, many offices and locations to choose from, great opportunities as it is still growing fast...

Cons

Some locations are still very small, but the team is growing fast on all fronts.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

5. Betting big on The Trade Desk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk

Pros

This is a talented group of passionate individuals. Everyone contributes and there is an operational rigor within that fuels our success forward. Everyone strives, thrives and adds value to our founders vision of transparency, high caliber service and technology at our core.

Cons

Depending on your background and skill set, be prepared to work hard to accelerate your on boarding. This is a complex landscape that our company operates within and it is important to put in the time and pay attention.

Advice to Management

Keep disseminating our value to the world and strengthening our culture and product at its core.

Love coming into work every day

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture, team-oriented environment, trusted product and great compensation. I have never been surrounded by such smart, motivated and generous people in my life. I truly love coming into work every day because I am challenged and fulfilled.

*We now have 401(k) matching, which was previously a "con" is several reviews.

Cons

Because you tend to care so much about the success of the company and your clients, it is difficult to separate work from your personal time, so I'm typically emailing with coworkers/clients when I'm not in the office. It can get stressful at times, but because it's a team oriented environment you always have the necessary support.

Advice to Management

Continue to share feedback to help employees grow and try to promote more from within when possible.

7. Hands down, the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Design Director in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience/UI Design Director in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although the company is growing quickly, there is a strong family feel here. The people are truly the nicest I have ever worked with. There is true life/work balance: everyone works hard but plays hard too, taking spontaneous days off to surf or ski. The company motto is "Take your job seriously but not yourself," which translates into working with innumerable talented, dedicated, intelligent but humble people. I could seriously go on and on... I am a professional with 25 years of experience in everything from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, and the experience here is truly unique. This is a special place and I consider it a privilege to be a part of it.

Cons

Downtown Boulder location has it's commuting and parking challenges. The frenetic pace of growth means some business and product processes are ill-defined or in their infancy.

Advice to Management

Continue being present in the day-to-day; your "in-the-trenches" leadership is motivating and inspiring.

Like Microsoft was 16 years ago...

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk

Pros

The benefits and salary are great - the people and the culture are phenomenal. The working environment reminds me of when I first started at Microsoft 16 years ago. The company is close-knit and you'll make great friends at the same time as you work together to change how advertising is done now and in the future. I've worked here for less than a year now, but I'm excited to see what we will be able to get done.

Technical work involves dealing with more than 1 million requests per second in the lab and testing and development are constantly moving the lab forward on a weekly basis. Definitely a fun experience engaging in all components from the web UI to logging, bidding, caches and data analysis.

All of our meetings are distributed between Boulder, CO and Ventura, CA in small groups, so you get to know both sites well. We use Skype and GoToMeeting with video to stay in touch so working from home is never an issue.

Next week everyone in the company will be getting together in Ventura, CA - the company and leadership really work hard to make this company an experience and not just a job. Come and enjoy the journey!

Cons

Boulder parking lots are full so we have parking permits on the street, but a 2 block walk has actually been really enjoyable through Boulder side streets off Pearl Street.

401k contributions aren't matched (yet), but options in the company more than compensate for this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do! Keep hiring skilled people that are great to work with and continue to drive thought leadership in advertising.

The Trade Desk Response

Mar 3, 2015Director, People and Culture

Thank you for your comments and feedback! Effective January 1, 2015 we implemented an employer match in the 401k.

Best Family I've ever joined

Current Employee - Partnership Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Partnership Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're a family here. We have fun, we have quirks, and we accept each other. Our Boulder office is dog friendly and full of great people. We spend time outside of the office together, and we work really hard when we're here. You put all of this together with a company that's growing as the business grows and venturing into new area's of technology, and you have a great place to work.

Cons

none at the Boulder office.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

The most fun I've ever had.

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, talented people, outstanding product, great vision, tons of opportunity, great pay and benefits, feels like family.

Cons

A lot of work, the price of success :)

Advice to Management

Keep culture king and keep it fun; it's why we love where we work and why we keep doing so well. Continue growing and expanding career development, and be sure people understand how they can progress; the process has started, just keep it going as we scale so we can continue to succeed.

The Trade Desk Response

Dec 16, 2014VP People and Culture

Thanks for the great review and the advice! We will absolutely continue to passionately protect this culture and keep moving forward with our work on career development across the organization!

11. Best place to be in Ad Tech

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company full of the smartest, most driven people I’ve ever worked with. When it comes to product, I really feel like we are at the center of innovation—something new and exciting comes out literally every other week, so there’s no shortage of things to talk about with your clients, and the communication loop between product and those on the front lines is excellent—product prioritization is both transparent and responsive, and when something gets pushed back, you understand the strategic reasons why. Also, the products actually work, and don’t get released until they do, which is a rarity in this industry that routinely sells the sizzle. Senior management is strategic and smart, and when it comes to our CEO, he is held is such regard that it almost feels cult-like, but the weird thing is it’s entirely deserved. He’s just one of those people who hires well and gets out of the way of his employees so he can focus on the big picture and where we should be headed next, and that’s a rare thing in a world where CEOs constantly micromanage their startups. We don’t really have politics, but that might be a function of our size. Overall, everyone feels extremely lucky to be here.

Cons

We’re moving so fast that ongoing and initial training is vital, but it’s not yet consistent across departments or offices. It’s definitely a sink or swim mentality, so if don’t have the motivation to actively train yourself and look for ways to contribute, you will definitely start to feel left out, because everyone else here is so driven.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep politics to a minimum, and allow for more team outings, so that people can get to know each other outside of the office. Keep it up and don’t lose touch with what has been working as we scale up, and continue to be what everyone working here believes we are: the best team in ad tech.

RSS Feed </> Embed