The Trade Desk

Updated February 6, 2015
4.9

The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Hands down, the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Design Director in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience/UI Design Director in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Although the company is growing quickly, there is a strong family feel here. The people are truly the nicest I have ever worked with. There is true life/work balance: everyone works hard but plays hard too, taking spontaneous days off to surf or ski. The company motto is "Take your job seriously but not yourself," which translates into working with innumerable talented, dedicated, intelligent but humble people. I could seriously go on and on... I am a professional with 25 years of experience in everything from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, and the experience here is truly unique. This is a special place and I consider it a privilege to be a part of it.

Cons

Downtown Boulder location has it's commuting and parking challenges. The frenetic pace of growth means some business and product processes are ill-defined or in their infancy.

Continue being present in the day-to-day; your "in-the-trenches" leadership is motivating and inspiring.

Like Microsoft was 16 years ago...

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk

Pros

The benefits and salary are great - the people and the culture are phenomenal. The working environment reminds me of when I first started at Microsoft 16 years ago. The company is close-knit and you'll make great friends at the same time as you work together to change how advertising is done now and in the future. I've worked here for less than a year now, but I'm excited to see what we will be able to get done.

Technical work involves dealing with more than 1 million requests per second in the lab and testing and development are constantly moving the lab forward on a weekly basis. Definitely a fun experience engaging in all components from the web UI to logging, bidding, caches and data analysis.

All of our meetings are distributed between Boulder, CO and Ventura, CA in small groups, so you get to know both sites well. We use Skype and GoToMeeting with video to stay in touch so working from home is never an issue.

Next week everyone in the company will be getting together in Ventura, CA - the company and leadership really work hard to make this company an experience and not just a job. Come and enjoy the journey!

Cons

Boulder parking lots are full so we have parking permits on the street, but a 2 block walk has actually been really enjoyable through Boulder side streets off Pearl Street.

401k contributions aren't matched (yet), but options in the company more than compensate for this.

Keep doing what you do! Keep hiring skilled people that are great to work with and continue to drive thought leadership in advertising.

Mar 3, 2015Director, People and Culture

Thank you for your comments and feedback! Effective January 1, 2015 we implemented an employer match in the 401k.

Best Family I've ever joined

Current Employee - Partnership Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Partnership Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

We're a family here. We have fun, we have quirks, and we accept each other. Our Boulder office is dog friendly and full of great people. We spend time outside of the office together, and we work really hard when we're here. You put all of this together with a company that's growing as the business grows and venturing into new area's of technology, and you have a great place to work.

Cons

none at the Boulder office.

Keep up the amazing work!

The most fun I've ever had.

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, talented people, outstanding product, great vision, tons of opportunity, great pay and benefits, feels like family.

Cons

A lot of work, the price of success :)

Keep culture king and keep it fun; it's why we love where we work and why we keep doing so well. Continue growing and expanding career development, and be sure people understand how they can progress; the process has started, just keep it going as we scale so we can continue to succeed.

Dec 16, 2014VP People and Culture

Thanks for the great review and the advice! We will absolutely continue to passionately protect this culture and keep moving forward with our work on career development across the organization!

Best place to be in Ad Tech

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company full of the smartest, most driven people I’ve ever worked with. When it comes to product, I really feel like we are at the center of innovation—something new and exciting comes out literally every other week, so there’s no shortage of things to talk about with your clients, and the communication loop between product and those on the front lines is excellent—product prioritization is both transparent and responsive, and when something gets pushed back, you understand the strategic reasons why. Also, the products actually work, and don’t get released until they do, which is a rarity in this industry that routinely sells the sizzle. Senior management is strategic and smart, and when it comes to our CEO, he is held is such regard that it almost feels cult-like, but the weird thing is it’s entirely deserved. He’s just one of those people who hires well and gets out of the way of his employees so he can focus on the big picture and where we should be headed next, and that’s a rare thing in a world where CEOs constantly micromanage their startups. We don’t really have politics, but that might be a function of our size. Overall, everyone feels extremely lucky to be here.

Cons

We’re moving so fast that ongoing and initial training is vital, but it’s not yet consistent across departments or offices. It’s definitely a sink or swim mentality, so if don’t have the motivation to actively train yourself and look for ways to contribute, you will definitely start to feel left out, because everyone else here is so driven.

Continue to keep politics to a minimum, and allow for more team outings, so that people can get to know each other outside of the office. Keep it up and don’t lose touch with what has been working as we scale up, and continue to be what everyone working here believes we are: the best team in ad tech.

The Trade Desk is a phenomenal team leading the way on programmatic buying and building the best of breed to do so.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture is awesome and forefront of all our hiring, and it shows in the quality of the work environment and people in it. We have a flat structure that focuses on contribution over process. Management has the best vision of any company I've worked for, not just for the company, but the market. From an engineering perspective, we are pushing the limits of technology and working with the bleeding edge, making every day a ton of fun.

Cons

Training and mentoring is not super extensive or in-depth, which means that you need to swim or sink.

Keep on trucking! We are winning and I'd credit management's excellent guidance with a large part of that.

Finally, a home within media

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am inspired, challenged and learning every single day. The whole team is gifted and I feel lucky to be a part of it. I can honestly say that we're all working towards the same goals and go the extra mile to get there daily. We work hard, play hard and love coming to work every day. Our business is growing every day because of our product and team.

Cons

The only thing that I could ask for is more training. The product advances so often that more training would be great!

A wonderful working environment of motivated and friendly individuals

I worked at The Trade Desk

Pros

The best thing about working at The Trade Desk is definitely the people. Everyone is supportive and collaborative on projects. People want to help you succeed and ultimately have the company succeed as well.

Cons

I think can be hard to distinguish one's self because everyone is so busy working hard on various projects. It can be a challenge to make your success known among a group of such hard-working and devoted people.

Optimistic, confident, funny, and driven people will love this company!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work! The Trade Desk is all about hiring the right people to maintain the AWESOME culture that has been established the past 4+ years. Everyone is nice, an expert at their position, and are passionate about the company's vision - and lets face it, these are the people who you will spend more time with than family, so they've got to be fun!

Since the ad tech space has been growing quickly, the company has a great onboarding (ie. training) process. They created informative videos of what The Trade Desk is all about and how our platform fits into helping power agency media buyers.

If you're looking for a long-term fit and a challenging position, apply! The company is growing, so there is plenty of opportunity for career advancement.

Exceptional benefits (health care, vacation, etc.).

Cons

There are minimal 'processes' in place, which is a good thing, but a con for me since I came from a large company- the King of processes/form. Also, they don't match any 401k.

Keep being transparent with us on numbers and vision as a company. I thoroughly enjoy the weekly meetings learning about our current and future roadmap goals; nationally as well as globally.

Aug 20, 2014VP People and Culture

Thank you for the review! We definitely understand that our weekly meetings are a central part of keeping everyone focused on the big picture and clear on how they can contribute to our success.

Fast paced company, get to work with people who love what they do, fantastic culture

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The industry is growing, which means the company is growing. Lots of opportunity to make an impact even at a very junior level, and learn from the industry's smartest people. Get to work with friendly, caring and genuine people, feels very much like a family.

Cons

No 401K matching (yet), sometimes work life balance is tricky

Keep doing what you are doing, maintaining the highest levels of transparency allows us builds respect and trust for senior management. Continue to build a culture where there are opportunities to contribute to the business other than from a pure revenue perspective.