The UPS Store

Updated September 19, 2014
3.4

The UPS Store President Tim Davis
Tim Davis

Pros
  • I had a great experience at the UPS Store as a part time job during college (in 4 reviews)

• Laid back atmosphere, lots or free time, lots of F2F interaction if you like that sort of thing (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, long boring hours, deal with some interesting people (in 10 reviews)

• No benefits as independently owned (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for right out of high school.

I worked at The UPS Store

Pros

Flexible hours. Locally owned franchise. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Unless you are in high school, or fresh out of high school, the pay probably isn't enough. That said, they don't advertise it to be. I had very few complaints working there. Getting enough hours was probably the biggest issue.

Great for students always off sunday!!

Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Off Sundays go home as early as 7:00 pm
    Individually owned and operated. Feels like working for mom and pops. Off most major holidays.

Cons

Lots of repetition on returns for DVR's and Modems. Corporate is really dumb about stuff most of the time.

I love the work and customers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Gallatin, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, multitasking haven which I love, almost never the same job throughout the day, no Sundays, family like workplace, teamwork utilization, etc!

Cons

No benefits, not much room to move up without buying the store itself

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The UPS Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

owner would give Bonus at the end of the year

Cons

do not have any benefit

Franchise stores are all dependent on owner.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at The UPS Store full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, many aspects in the store (shipping, packing, printing, notary, livescan etc. ), awesome team environment.

Cons

Small franchises can make it difficult for time off and vacations. Pay is a little above minimum wage (all depends if you work at a high volume store or not and the owner)

Depending on which store you work for depends on pay and benefits. I have worked for 3 stores and they are all different. Some owners know how to take care of their employees and other's can be cheap and not care. Corporate needs to weed out owners that don't care and aren't looking to grow business.

The UPS Store, Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible Hours.
    OK job if you are in college.
    25% shipping discount
    You gain knowledge about shipping

Cons

The job kind of sucks at first, there is a lot of crap that you have to remember and it takes about a little over a month until you feel comfortable with everything.
    Have to be a decent people person, the biggest factor in the success and growth of a store might be the level of customer service you provide.
    You don't just do a few things at UPS stores. The job can be very simple at times but other times there are so many different things you will be required to do. There is shipping stuff, printing, faxing, notary, mailbox, packing a bunch of crap.
    UPS Stores are franchised and individually run, but lot of people confuse UPS Stores being the actual UPS.
    Not a lot of incentive to work hard, unless you work at a store that makes a lot of money.
    If you work under a cool Owner/Manager, the job will suck a lot less.
    Not a job that you want to be at for more than a year.

If you can multi task this is the job for you.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the interaction I get with all my Customers, The hours are great for me Banker hours and no weekends, Plus I do make OK money. My schedule can be very flexible if need be. My Owner is OK about that. I do receive 5 sick day and 7 paid holiday's if they land on my work days, I also negotiated for 1 week paid vacation instead of a raise one year. Plus I only have to work with 1 or 2 other people which takes the " I'm going to steal your job" stress away.

Cons

There is just to much stuff that the Company wants you to learn and do. Also because the Stores are Franchises theres no real peaks, no medical, dental, and the least amount of employees as possible, to keep down overhead. for 10 yrs it was the owner and I, now both of my shoulders and wrist are messed up from all the repetitive work of sorting and distributing of boxholder mail, now there are more employees so I don't do mail anymore. And I know this is not the case at all stores but at mine, other employees speak the same language, so now I constantly have to hear them and it can be very distracting and hard to concentrate while working. But basically I find it very rude. When your all sitting in a small area and they talk around you. like your not there.

Show loyalty, Because when you give loyalty your employees will work harder for you. Show appreciation for the hard work employees give you, because we really do work hard, tell them when they're doing a good job. And alway show respect to employees and their feelings, even if you don't understand. Because in the end your employees are the backbone of your income. Nowadays Owners and upper management forget that little aspect.

Ah Ship!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dickinson, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dickinson, ND

I worked at The UPS Store part-time for less than a year

Pros

- For a part-time position, the workload was very manageable.

- Employee discount on in-store services and items.

- Flexible schedule thanks to the other employees.

- The opportunity to build rapport with customers is very high.

Cons

- The biggest challenge encountered was an incompetent manager. Their "bi-polar" management style was anything but attractive and inspiring.

- Turnover at this store was incredibly high. Within a few months, I was considered the most senior associate.

- Also, tacking on extra expenses here and there is something that did not sit well. I understand that the "best deal" may not yield the highest profit margins immediately, but repeat customers equals sustainability.

My only advice is that district management needs to be sure to do their homework on people they consider for store management. Not every friend/family member is qualified to be a manager, no matter how much you like them.

My experience was interesting, my boss was rude but employees and clients were nice.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rochester Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester Hills, MI

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with the other employees they became very good friends of mine.

Cons

My boss was rude and demanding. She blamed her employees for all problems even when not their fault.

Maybe do a background check before letting someone perchase a store.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

time to yourself
    Customers
    working with few people
    owners

Cons

working with few people
    owners sometimes

Worked for The UPS Store? Contribute to the Community!