The UPS Store Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.4

The UPS Store President Tim Davis
Tim Davis

Pros
  • I loved the flexible hours and the small staff that I worked with (in 7 reviews)

• It is a laid back environment during non-holiday seasons and great for college students (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, long boring hours, deal with some interesting people (in 10 reviews)

• No benefits, not much room to move up without buying the store itself (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good college job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (more than an year)

Pros

very customer based, easy to learn, training, sales, very flexible.

Cons

only long hours during December.

Give more training in person not just online.

It can go Either way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Multiple daily job requirements that keep the monotony down. Small crew which can help you stand out and with many owners having multiple store perhaps rise quickly to a new position.

Cons

Pay is mediocre considering you are basically running the store as in my case. My owner made promises that he failed to keep on multiple occasions leading to a very uncomfortable work environment. I fulfilled my end of the bargain but when the time came for my raise and promotion he "changed his mind". I gave this job 110% and EARNED my PROMISED Raise and Promotion just be caution with this particular store employer.

Follow thru with promises to your employees.....Period.

They have good business system.

Former Employee - Owner
    Former Employee - Owner

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable revenue, brand recognition all helps, and the corporate takes care of marketing, strategy, and so on.

Cons

Since it is a franchise, profit can be less than what you have expected, but it is stable and I regard it as a trade-off. Also, you have to deal with a lot of customers every single day.

Ended up doing graphic design for the store I worked at. A lot of fun!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington Township, MI
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington Township, MI

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work doing graphic design and I always loved seeing customers happy about my designs. You get to learn everything that you'd learn in an office setting and more. You learn a lot of different things that the ups store offers which would good to another employer.

Cons

UPS cares little about the franchise owners. Every store is a franchise so management may vary from store to store. If you don't make your services known to customers they'll never come there. Not many people look at the ups store as a printing business.

Fair experience with low pay is a very kind way to describe my employment with this franchised company.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The store was in a hotel so the atmosphere and professionalism were great. I was included and treated as a department manager and that was great.

Cons

The owner made me feel like a pee-on, gave me the leeway to operate in a way that works best for me, then scream at me for doing so. The owner promised bonus' and raises based on sales but reniged and then fired me when I addressed my concerns.

Corporate should mandate something formal in regards to mangers sales bonus.

Private Job, Not UPS but satisfying work area

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are it's a private owned store so they are lax about many things, taking days off, learning the curves of selling, and great 1v1 teaching(management is great). It benefits the owners directly depending on how you operate, if you do well they treat you well, if you don't, don't expect the best. You get what you work for. Small bonuses at the end of the year. Great for highschool students, not so good for a career.

Cons

No room for promotions, no raises per year/semi-annual/quarters, no paid time off, no holiday pay, no incentives for selling, no benefits(unless you're full time). Of course all of these depends on your area/store and depends on the owner if they want to give incentive for selling. I've seen the numbers/profit rise over the years I've been with them, never once have I've seen a raise even when I asked for a raise, it was never given.

Management is great in terms of empathy, it'll be nice to give raises/bonuses for doing a great job and for staying with the company for years. Feels under appreciative for the amount of work put into helping the owner succeed.

ok job for starting off

I have been working at The UPS Store

Pros

good hours, work around your schedule

Cons

low pay for the work, no way to advance

Good job for right out of high school.

I worked at The UPS Store

Pros

Flexible hours. Locally owned franchise. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Unless you are in high school, or fresh out of high school, the pay probably isn't enough. That said, they don't advertise it to be. I had very few complaints working there. Getting enough hours was probably the biggest issue.

Great for students always off sunday!!

Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Off Sundays go home as early as 7:00 pm
    Individually owned and operated. Feels like working for mom and pops. Off most major holidays.

Cons

Lots of repetition on returns for DVR's and Modems. Corporate is really dumb about stuff most of the time.

A good stepping stone

Former Employee - Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer

I worked at The UPS Store as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Access to a big named employer, education on the workings of how to train a franchise business, insight into what a huge corporation does when it put instructional designers under human resources.

Cons

Interesting management styles, projects are limited in scope, and peculiar hiring methods that may result in a lack of a job at the end of the internship.

The UPS Store Photos