The UPS Store

Updated December 17, 2014
3.4

The UPS Store President Tim Davis
Tim Davis

Pros
  • I loved the flexible hours and the small staff that I worked with (in 7 reviews)

• It is a laid back environment during non-holiday seasons and great for college students (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, long boring hours, deal with some interesting people (in 10 reviews)

• No benefits, not much room to move up without buying the store itself (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Private Job, Not UPS but satisfying work area

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are it's a private owned store so they are lax about many things, taking days off, learning the curves of selling, and great 1v1 teaching(management is great). It benefits the owners directly depending on how you operate, if you do well they treat you well, if you don't, don't expect the best. You get what you work for. Small bonuses at the end of the year. Great for highschool students, not so good for a career.

Cons

No room for promotions, no raises per year/semi-annual/quarters, no paid time off, no holiday pay, no incentives for selling, no benefits(unless you're full time). Of course all of these depends on your area/store and depends on the owner if they want to give incentive for selling. I've seen the numbers/profit rise over the years I've been with them, never once have I've seen a raise even when I asked for a raise, it was never given.

Management is great in terms of empathy, it'll be nice to give raises/bonuses for doing a great job and for staying with the company for years. Feels under appreciative for the amount of work put into helping the owner succeed.

ok job for starting off

I have been working at The UPS Store

Pros

good hours, work around your schedule

Cons

low pay for the work, no way to advance

Good job for right out of high school.

I worked at The UPS Store

Pros

Flexible hours. Locally owned franchise. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Unless you are in high school, or fresh out of high school, the pay probably isn't enough. That said, they don't advertise it to be. I had very few complaints working there. Getting enough hours was probably the biggest issue.

Great for students always off sunday!!

Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Off Sundays go home as early as 7:00 pm
    Individually owned and operated. Feels like working for mom and pops. Off most major holidays.

Cons

Lots of repetition on returns for DVR's and Modems. Corporate is really dumb about stuff most of the time.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

owner would give Bonus at the end of the year

Cons

do not have any benefit

A good stepping stone

Former Employee - Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer

I worked at The UPS Store as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Access to a big named employer, education on the workings of how to train a franchise business, insight into what a huge corporation does when it put instructional designers under human resources.

Cons

Interesting management styles, projects are limited in scope, and peculiar hiring methods that may result in a lack of a job at the end of the internship.

The UPS Store, Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours.
    OK job if you are in college.
    25% shipping discount
    You gain knowledge about shipping

Cons

The job kind of sucks at first, there is a lot of crap that you have to remember and it takes about a little over a month until you feel comfortable with everything.
    Have to be a decent people person, the biggest factor in the success and growth of a store might be the level of customer service you provide.
    You don't just do a few things at UPS stores. The job can be very simple at times but other times there are so many different things you will be required to do. There is shipping stuff, printing, faxing, notary, mailbox, packing a bunch of crap.
    UPS Stores are franchised and individually run, but lot of people confuse UPS Stores being the actual UPS.
    Not a lot of incentive to work hard, unless you work at a store that makes a lot of money.
    If you work under a cool Owner/Manager, the job will suck a lot less.
    Not a job that you want to be at for more than a year.

If you can multi task this is the job for you.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like the interaction I get with all my Customers, The hours are great for me Banker hours and no weekends, Plus I do make OK money. My schedule can be very flexible if need be. My Owner is OK about that. I do receive 5 sick day and 7 paid holiday's if they land on my work days, I also negotiated for 1 week paid vacation instead of a raise one year. Plus I only have to work with 1 or 2 other people which takes the " I'm going to steal your job" stress away.

Cons

There is just to much stuff that the Company wants you to learn and do. Also because the Stores are Franchises theres no real peaks, no medical, dental, and the least amount of employees as possible, to keep down overhead. for 10 yrs it was the owner and I, now both of my shoulders and wrist are messed up from all the repetitive work of sorting and distributing of boxholder mail, now there are more employees so I don't do mail anymore. And I know this is not the case at all stores but at mine, other employees speak the same language, so now I constantly have to hear them and it can be very distracting and hard to concentrate while working. But basically I find it very rude. When your all sitting in a small area and they talk around you. like your not there.

Show loyalty, Because when you give loyalty your employees will work harder for you. Show appreciation for the hard work employees give you, because we really do work hard, tell them when they're doing a good job. And alway show respect to employees and their feelings, even if you don't understand. Because in the end your employees are the backbone of your income. Nowadays Owners and upper management forget that little aspect.

Ah Ship!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dickinson, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dickinson, ND

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- For a part-time position, the workload was very manageable.

- Employee discount on in-store services and items.

- Flexible schedule thanks to the other employees.

- The opportunity to build rapport with customers is very high.

Cons

- The biggest challenge encountered was an incompetent manager. Their "bi-polar" management style was anything but attractive and inspiring.

- Turnover at this store was incredibly high. Within a few months, I was considered the most senior associate.

- Also, tacking on extra expenses here and there is something that did not sit well. I understand that the "best deal" may not yield the highest profit margins immediately, but repeat customers equals sustainability.

My only advice is that district management needs to be sure to do their homework on people they consider for store management. Not every friend/family member is qualified to be a manager, no matter how much you like them.

I love the work and customers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gallatin, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, multitasking haven which I love, almost never the same job throughout the day, no Sundays, family like workplace, teamwork utilization, etc!

Cons

No benefits, not much room to move up without buying the store itself

The UPS Store Photos