The UPS Store Reviews

Reset

1. The store I worked at was AWFUL

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time *stable* work , good places to eat in the neighborhood I worked in The main pro is , we as employees can leave anytime we want to work for something less torturous. The store I worked in was like something from your worst nightmare

Cons

1-Long hours / LOW pay. Pathetic. I make more now doing less lol 2-very tiring work, and it gets so busy nothing gets really done. Things are left laying around all day, and its a pigsty 3-the manager / or owner whatever he was kept trying to pawn off his responsibilities to me even though I hadnt been trained or knew anything yet. One time he told me to get copy paper from his car in the garage. Great, but I didnt know what his car was or where it was parked. He pawned over undesirable customers to me because he didnt want to deal with them. My co-worker wound up training me more than the man in charge 4-UNSANITARY. Everything was covered in dust, and yes I mean everything (even the fridge) ..and when I cleaned it , I got a some kind of 24 hour illness..the packing table was covered in flattened boxes, some of them had spiders crawling in them 5-No PTO, no paid holidays or benefits 6-Disorganized , see 2-4 ABSOLUTELY THE WORST MOST DISGUSTING PLACE I EVER WORKED IN.

Advice to Management

You better hope nobody from the Governnent sanitation department doesnt inspect your place. This manager has no idea how to train someone. Im so glad that Im not there !! I cannot rate the CEO since I dont know that person, but the person who managed the store was awful.

2. Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The UPS Store

Pros

Great company to work for. It's a small business. Learned a lot about managing a team, time management, budgeting, customer service & working as a team. Learned how to properly package items safely so that they arrive to the destination intact. It's not UPS, but The UPS Store. Definitely enhanced my WPM, since using a computer & keyboard is a daily occurrence. Sundays off!

Cons

Extra extended hours during the holiday season, (but that is expected for most retail jobs during this time of year). Only management received medical benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up great work and culture!

3. Busy part time job with A LOT of boxes!

Former Employee - Clerk in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job kept me on my feet; I hardly ever had time to sit down. I was taught how to ship packages around the world and because of that I got to meet some very interesting people. It was not an easy job but I enjoyed it.

Cons

It's a very active and hard job. You have to keep a lot of things in your head and stay on your feet most of the day.

Advice to Management

Try to take a more active role in your stores instead of letting your employees handle things they are not trained to do!

5. A lot to learn

I worked at The UPS Store part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, always learning new things, breaks, you don't need retail experience but you do need to work hard, boss brings in treats, don't work holidays

Cons

A lot of work to do for a low pay, can be alone for 2 hours, boss not reliable for showing up on time

6. Not reccommended!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, MI

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable hours if your looking for full-time.The job however, is relatively easy as its mostly just using the POS(Point of Sale) system and packaging items.

Cons

There is no room for advancement; as the UPS store is a franchise and you will never have the owners job. During my duration I was not offered any lunch breaks or short paid breaks. There are no benefits, no dedicated break room. Shifts were 8-12 hours with mostly walking around waiting for customers. The store I worked at had a very toxic work environment. The owner was rarely present, dumping all the work on an already small staff me and two other people. The employees that I worked with were very rude and unprofessional. Between a lack of solidarity between employees, long shifts with no dedicated time to myself to eat, an absent owner who price gouges customers when she comes in an talks down to them if they don't agree with her rules. I quit this job within a week. However, it should be noted my experience does not reflect the culture of UPS; as the UPS store is truly a franchise. So be careful which location you apply, to as I'm sure they are not all the same.

Advice to Management

If your not passionate about shipping packages then don't open a franchise. This is a customer service position, not a cash cow. You have to be good with working with people. If you maintain an attitude and are not good with working with people ; then don't bother opening a business in customer service.

7. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Orange, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Orange, NJ

I have been working at The UPS Store

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of different responsibilities

Cons

Annoying customers, poor management in my opinion

8. DONT DO IT !!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA

I worked at The UPS Store

Pros

There's nothing good about working here it was a hell hole hated every single thing abou it

Cons

Worst place to work illegal shipping certain items no respect for your hard work

Advice to Management

Some people shouldn't be managing a buisness due to immaturity .

9. Good place to get started

Former Employee - Manager in Westlake, LA
    Former Employee - Manager in Westlake, LA

I worked at The UPS Store (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex Salary Bonus Manage people Small Business Owner Community Involvement

Cons

Pay No security Usually bad management Dealing with employees No benefits package No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Please consider incentive pay for managers

10. Store Manager

Former Employee - Center Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a dream team of employees and our customers made the job a lot of fun. Our UPS Driver and the Mailman were awesome.

Cons

The pay was beyond awful. The owner has no idea how to run a business which resulted in 26 new Employees in 2 years! I have never seen employee turnover that bad. With the amount it costs to train a new employee she could have doubled all of our pay and still saved tens of thousands of dollars every year! Go to work at UPS, not The UPS Store.

Advice to Management

Sell the business, or at least go to school and learn how to run a business. It's clear that you have no idea what your doing.

11. Great first job!

I worked at The UPS Store part-time

Pros

If the store has a good owner/operator/manager, this can be an amazing job. Great experience for a first job. Develops customer service/customer relations experience.

Cons

The only con I experienced (again this is if the store has a good owner), was that there is little chance of going full time or receiving benefits. This may vary from store to store.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right, allow them to run the store and do a good job, but do not give them too much free reign over the store. Check in every now and then.

RSS Feed </> Embed