The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A gem - or a lump of coal?????

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are still awesome, but I expect that we will have to start paying more for them. Small-ish company - opportunity for getting involved in lateral projects and tasks.

Cons

Extremely high turnover amongst upper management. No career path or room for advancement. Managers are allowed to make their own rules and/or choose to ignore corporate standards.

Strong organization with a history of week leadership

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Great benefits and stability. Lot's of opportunities to move around in the organization to find something you like.

Cons

Advancement to management positions isn't easy unless you have a Ph.D. The organization values Ph.D.'s over anything else, which means that they overlook leadership qualities. This inevitably means they end up with leaders who are great at science and not much else. Ultimately, it stifles the growth of the organization and has a tendency to cultivate a passive-aggressive culture.

Looking up

Pros

Very good benefits, smart and valuable middle management and staff level employees. New CEO seems to want to increase knowledge between departments, but it is too early to see if he truly does.

Cons

Still too much silo mentality; staffing changes seem arbitrary. Some SVP and long standing VP level who contributed too previous poor culture are still in positions of power.

Advice to Management

Give more than lip service to values of transparency, shared decision making, and respect. Lower level employees appreciate being heard and involved.

Organization in for lots of change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, and important mission. Looks like things are changing for the better with new CEO, but need to repair relationship with FDA and other stakeholders. Many new change initiatives underway.

Cons

Previous CEO burned a lot of bridges, and new management might be trying to do too much too fast to repair. Little to none opportunity to advance for young professionals. Some of the senior management that did not function well under last CEO still here.

Advice to Management

Listen to the lower level employees. Take advantage of the momentum currently created, and don't let it disappear in fluffy strategic plans. Get rid of the yes-men and women from last CEO.

Senior scientist

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

International and diverse workforce, great benefits, competitive salaries. Significant analytical resources and good possibilities.

Cons

Organization still recovering from the disarray it was left by the previous CEO, and slowly progressing into a positive change. Hopefully it changes before people loose hope.

Advice to Management

Changes are needed! So, just do it before we loose hope.

Waited for the old CEO to leave so we could get a good one. Still waiting......

Pros

USP staff at my level are the best people I have ever worked with. Sadly, the higher you go, the worse it gets.

Cons

We went from poor leadership to no leadership. If the CEO has a vision for USP, he certainly hasn't articulated it to us. All we hear in meetings is consulting firm BS. Maybe if we hire more of his McKinsey buddies, they might come up with a strategy. And forget about meritocracy when it comes to promotions and recognition. Suck ups move up -- it is as simple as that. And if you ever make any mistake -- no matter how small -- the Legal department comes after you and takes over your staff or fires people.

Advice to Management

When will the consultant leave and the CEO show up? And when you hire the new CSO, can you find someone who has actually used their PhD or MD and done real work instead of consulting?

Political Intrigue Abounds at USP

Former Employee - Middle Management in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were this organization's only appeal beyond small pockets of rank and file employees who truly cared about their jobs and the organization's noble mission.

Cons

Top management was primarily interested in playing games--finding fault with one other, derailing each other's projects and initiatives, or attempting to absorb part of each other's groups in an effort to build their empires. Many senior managers were totally incompetent and seemed to possess little or no understanding of their departments' workflows, schedules or goals. There was very little if any fiscal accountability within departments and I witnessed much waste. Bullying was encouraged by senior management in an effort to strong arm or intimidate other work groups to satisfy political agendas. Most alarming to me was the lack of clear goals and measurable goals and outcomes beyond exceeding the previous year's sales numbers for books and reference standards.

Advice to Management

The senior management needs to work together as a unit and not as independent despots. They also need to bridge the divide between science and the rest of the organization.

Politics rather than science and yet going downhill even with a new CEO!?

Current Employee - Senior Level
    Current Employee - Senior Level

Pros

Great benefits is the only perk here!

Cons

Politically driven company, lots of bad decisions due to wrong placement of management positions, crazy directions that can only be linked to lack of expertise by the management assigned to the departments. I don't foresee a good outlook for the company.

Advice to Management

Think twice in your decisions and consult the experts not the current people in management before it is too late. You will soon lose the experts that are competent enough to find other positions outside USP and will be left with the rest of the crowd that can only drive USP to sink even further. The month of July will prove this with a large number of resignation after receiving their portion if any at the end of Fiscal year!

It was a valuable experience but one that I will not duplicate

Pros

You feel like you are making a difference working for such a great cause. They offer great benefits and the salary for most positions is above market level. But make sure to bargain for it a bit. Great team environment too.

Cons

The management was not the best, too much micromanagement. There is very little opportunity to grow, at least in the position and department that I was in.

Great Benefits, decent work

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relative job security due to the nature of the work for the greater good of the health community worldwide at this company is definitive a positive factor. The workload is sufficient and challenging (the day never gets boring). Management knows how to motivate and instill a sense of pride in the work that is being done. The benefits are excellent!

Cons

Sometimes management appears to be too lenient which tends to lead to toxic situations among employees. Negative office culture within other departments spills over and can create bad atmosphere. Very little room for growth within the same department.

RSS Feed </> Embed