The University of Kansas Hospital

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Page

Good place to work, great co-workers.

ProsGreat benefits! Pretty good pay.. and fun enviroment for a hospital! People leave only to come right back.. there is truly nothnig like it :)

ConsOutdated policies, dinosaur software. Innovative with healthcare but not employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate policies allow more time off for overwork employees it will trickle down to patient care.

No longer proud to say I work at KU Hospital

ProsHealthcare benefits are good as long as you are seeing a KU physician

ConsThey talk a good game in orientation, but have no follow through for employee support. Employee relations is there to support management at all times. There is no room for individuality and I am not talking about uniforms. Parking is HORRIBLE. How is it in Kansas I have to leave home 45 minutes earlier so I can park my car and get on a shuttle to my place of work? And if I don't park 'correctly' I can get a $90 ticket--in a lot where only employees park. There is no life-work balance. I have to plan a vacation day a month in advance and then wait until the beginning of that month to find out if it's been approved? The point system is antiquated. Forget your badge=1/3 point, a missed punch on the time clock=1/3 point. So if I get to work on time (or early because the shuttle only runs every 15-30 min) and forget my badge in my car I will get 1 whole point because of the missing badge and not being able to clock in or out. How in the world does this make sense? From there it just goes down hill...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing. Replace the dead weight in departments and stop overworking your employees. If you are having to hold a job fair for nurses because of the revolving door in a world class hospital you need to take a closer look. Provide training for management and put innovated thinkers and problem solvers in these positions instead of mouth pieces that listen to idle gossip and think they need to re-invent the wheel every time a patient voices a concern or inconvenience.

Great benefits but management is questionable...

Patient Accounting (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsHEALTH BENEFITS cannot be beat. The supplemental at KU basically ensures you only pay a small copay when visiting KU docs and everything else is paid by the hospital. The hospital is also highly ranked and sees some of the most challenging cases in the area, meaning you will constantly be growing and expanding your skill set on a daily basis. In general, the staff is also extremely friendly.

ConsParking leaves a lot to be desired but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be. The points system is also an annoyance, as KU has a 24 hour notification policy for time off, which includes occasions when you are ill. Sure they say it's only for PTO related absences, however my department won't let you take time off without pay so I basically can't ever be sick without getting dinged for it. Real life happens, KU... accept it. However, my real issue is actually with how upper management treats its employees. Lack of communication and support have been rampant lately, with employees hardly being informed about mandatory training or job changes until the last minute. Half of the time lower-level management doesn't even know what's going on, making it seem like a very 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants atmosphere'...hardly what you'd expect from a nationally recognized hospital system. Support is also hard to find within a department, as half of management can't be bothered to answer your questions or even point you in the right direction. So good luck finding an answer...hope you figure it out before review time comes around! Advancement opportunities are also hard to find as management often promotes based on the length of your relationship with the institution, rather than actual work ethic and the ability to do the job. Sure, as with most places it's who you know but it's a real shame because management is starting to become overrun with people who really don't understand how to support or manage their employees properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to really take to heart the concept of an employment contract. I signed a form upon hire stating I would show up to work on time every day and perform my job duties as assigned, always with a smile on my face and always with the patient in mind. I am willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the Patient has an exemplary customer service experience, and I do that all while abiding by the values and policies of the institution as outlined. I am rarely absent, I present on bad weather days and I am constantly offering myself up for extra duties when other departments need a hand. As a result I should at the very least be treated with respect. I should be allowed to take the occasional sick day without being penalized or depend on my manager to assist me with any questions or concerns I might have during the daily performance of my job. And oh, yeah...I should be given a FAIR chance to advance. After all, you told me I'd have all those things when I interviewed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treated like a robot!

ProsYou're given the opportunity to use all your skills and develop constantly. Work-life balance is great. Health benefits are fantastic. Compensation is average.

ConsThere is no room to advance and you need to dumb yourself down to not threaten those above you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain mandatory on-going management education and cull out managers with consistent poor employee satisfaction.

Challenging and interesting - the best hospital in the region

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsMany opportunities for nurses to be involved throughout the organization.
    Patients are sent here when their cases are too complex for other hospitals, so there are often very interesting and/or extremely complex cases.
    Ranked in top 50 hospitals in the nation.

ConsNo such thing as calling in sick without getting "points" against you. 3 points = formal write-up.
    Hospital does not negotiate with nurses's union; therefore, union is powerless.
    All premium pay for night shifts and weekend shifts is being eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that how much you pay nurses reflects how much you value them. Refusing to increase pay while continuing to build and build and build new offices demonstrates a lack of appreciation for nurses.

Great place

Patient Care Tech (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome opportunities, teams, people. Great benefits and insurance coverage. Loved my time there.

ConsExpensive salads ;) little less pay than other hospitals

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about not cutting nurses wages than landscaping

World Class

Human Resources (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsGenerous employer, employee friendly, caring and patient/customer-focused.

ConsVery large hospital, a lot of layers to navigate

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work, stay employee/human resources savvy!

Great place to work!

ProsGood benefits, great work life balance & positive culture.

ConsVery hard to get promoted within.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn

ProsGreat Docs, NPs, and coworkers

ConsTaking on all of the responsibility without the pay.

Great experience..but don't try to get through a temp agency

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsI had great opportunity of working with great pharmacists, co-workers, patients at the hospital. Hiring process take about 2 weeks process. Fast pace. Open to new opportunities to doors.

ConsI went through a temp agency (Aerotek) and they say you work 40 hours a week. It is only a temp-to-hire position. Position lasted only 3 months. Employer will not notify your last day without a week notice unless recruiter contact you on your last day. Likely you will work overtime. No promises. Hours will shift. No PTO. Temp agency say they will pay you for holiday pay, but it is a LIE.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of communication between both parties ( KU and Temp agency). Micro-management in work environment.

Worked for The University of Kansas Hospital? Contribute to the Community!