The University of Kansas Hospital

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

Bob Page

Great place to work but not much room for growth.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mission, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My boss is wonderful. She let's you be independent but still has rules.

Cons

There is no where to gain promotion. Lots of positions to move sideways.

Look elsewhere

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits in general but don't expect to use them.

Cons

No time off, no appreciate, upward mobility is a slow almost non-existent trudge. This is where your career goes to die.

Spend some time with your employees instead of trying to impress each other.

Proud to work here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In these questionable days of healthcare and economy, The University of Kansas Hospital uses strategic vision to continue to position our services for the highest quality care of our patients and the best employer for our employees. While other hospitals are laying employees off, University of Kansas Hospital continues to grow and HIRE! It is an employee-friendly culture where our top execs and leadership maintain open door practices. They have an Employee Relations team to advocate for employees and helps them address any concerns with their managers. It's an overall great place to work and I am very proud to say I work there!

Cons

It would be forward thinking to have HR at the executive table in a more strategic role. Hr wants to learn the business so they can help support the business and human resources needs of the company.

Partner strategically with you were human resources representative!

KUHA Experience

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital

Pros

Benefits, hours, flexible schedule, free parking

Cons

Far away parking, shuttled in from parking lots

Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Used to be flexible, have great benefits, and decent service. Decent PRO accruals and it is nice working for such a well known hospital.

Cons

Management is horrible. They care little about you although they put on a good face. My manager discusses my reviews, personal medical problems, personal home life, and write up with my coworkers. She carries out personal vendettas against other staff members and goes through people's emails. Human resources is disinterested and upper management doesn't want to be bothered unless they are losing money.

Benefits started great, but have seriously declined. Their excuse is being able to afford it, but they build new multi - million dollar buildings every other year. The company is broken up into many smaller companies and the benefits differ along with company perks. They don't care for their clients until they threaten to pull their business and then only long enough to calm them down and then forget them again.

Pull yourselves together. Upper management needs to take an active role in managing and regular managers need to stop ding petty children and stop acting inappropriate.

Great doctors and nurses. IT needs some work!

Pros

They have excellent medical benefits. The medical staff is second to none.

Cons

The HITS department needs an overhaul. They use terms like transparency and alignment then have secret meetings and secret reorgs. Recently, an entire team (6 people) were let go. At the staff meeting, upper management was joking and laughing like it was business as usual. Understandably, morale is very low right now. There is not a week that goes by that there is not announcement of an early retirement or someone leaving for greener pastures. It would seem like this is a red flag (or white depending on your perspective) to management that something is very wrong. It will take only one oops from IT to crumble all the accolades the hospital has worked hard to get.

Transparency and alignment should be more than empty buzz words or marketing scheme. One business dictionary defines transparency as a “lack of hidden agendas or conditions, accompanied by the availability of full information required for collaboration, cooperation, and collective decision making.” The same source describes it as an “essential condition for a free and open exchange whereby the rules and reasons behind regulatory measures are fair and clear to all participants.” This is not happening at all.

Great benefits, confused management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance, employees are appreciated, lots of OT, relaxed environment.

Cons

Having to schedule pto a month in advance and watching management scramble to get it approved two days before. Evaluations are scarce, pto unavailable during training (this is a teaching facility, we are always training) and it's hard to transfer within. Tolerance for disrespect is high.

Keep employees informed (are they working to your expectations?) implement a plan to retain employees, schedule training in a way that it will be beneficial and less hectic and stressful for under-staffed departments. Go to bat for your employees; we all work for the same entity and interdepartmental tension between individuals and/or divisions should not be visible to the public.

Good place to work, great co-workers.

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital

Pros

Great benefits! Pretty good pay.. and fun enviroment for a hospital! People leave only to come right back.. there is truly nothnig like it :)

Cons

Outdated policies, dinosaur software. Innovative with healthcare but not employee turnover.

Update policies allow more time off for overwork employees it will trickle down to patient care.

No longer proud to say I work at KU Hospital

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are good as long as you are seeing a KU physician

Cons

They talk a good game in orientation, but have no follow through for employee support. Employee relations is there to support management at all times. There is no room for individuality and I am not talking about uniforms. Parking is HORRIBLE. How is it in Kansas I have to leave home 45 minutes earlier so I can park my car and get on a shuttle to my place of work? And if I don't park 'correctly' I can get a $90 ticket--in a lot where only employees park. There is no life-work balance. I have to plan a vacation day a month in advance and then wait until the beginning of that month to find out if it's been approved? The point system is antiquated. Forget your badge=1/3 point, a missed punch on the time clock=1/3 point. So if I get to work on time (or early because the shuttle only runs every 15-30 min) and forget my badge in my car I will get 1 whole point because of the missing badge and not being able to clock in or out. How in the world does this make sense? From there it just goes down hill...

Stop micro-managing. Replace the dead weight in departments and stop overworking your employees. If you are having to hold a job fair for nurses because of the revolving door in a world class hospital you need to take a closer look. Provide training for management and put innovated thinkers and problem solvers in these positions instead of mouth pieces that listen to idle gossip and think they need to re-invent the wheel every time a patient voices a concern or inconvenience.

Great benefits but management is questionable...

Current Employee - Patient Accounting in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Patient Accounting in Kansas City, KS

Pros

HEALTH BENEFITS cannot be beat. The supplemental at KU basically ensures you only pay a small copay when visiting KU docs and everything else is paid by the hospital. The hospital is also highly ranked and sees some of the most challenging cases in the area, meaning you will constantly be growing and expanding your skill set on a daily basis. In general, the staff is also extremely friendly.

Cons

Parking leaves a lot to be desired but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be. The points system is also an annoyance, as KU has a 24 hour notification policy for time off, which includes occasions when you are ill. Sure they say it's only for PTO related absences, however my department won't let you take time off without pay so I basically can't ever be sick without getting dinged for it. Real life happens, KU... accept it. However, my real issue is actually with how upper management treats its employees. Lack of communication and support have been rampant lately, with employees hardly being informed about mandatory training or job changes until the last minute. Half of the time lower-level management doesn't even know what's going on, making it seem like a very 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants atmosphere'...hardly what you'd expect from a nationally recognized hospital system. Support is also hard to find within a department, as half of management can't be bothered to answer your questions or even point you in the right direction. So good luck finding an answer...hope you figure it out before review time comes around! Advancement opportunities are also hard to find as management often promotes based on the length of your relationship with the institution, rather than actual work ethic and the ability to do the job. Sure, as with most places it's who you know but it's a real shame because management is starting to become overrun with people who really don't understand how to support or manage their employees properly.

My advice to management is to really take to heart the concept of an employment contract. I signed a form upon hire stating I would show up to work on time every day and perform my job duties as assigned, always with a smile on my face and always with the patient in mind. I am willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the Patient has an exemplary customer service experience, and I do that all while abiding by the values and policies of the institution as outlined. I am rarely absent, I present on bad weather days and I am constantly offering myself up for extra duties when other departments need a hand. As a result I should at the very least be treated with respect. I should be allowed to take the occasional sick day without being penalized or depend on my manager to assist me with any questions or concerns I might have during the daily performance of my job. And oh, yeah...I should be given a FAIR chance to advance. After all, you told me I'd have all those things when I interviewed.