The University of Kansas Hospital

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
3.4

Bob Page

Overall, my experience working for the University of Kansas Hospital was wonderful.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent staffing, management seems to care about employees, excellent benefits, and ability to work overtime if desired.

Cons

Some pay decreases recently due to national reimbursement changes.

anonymous

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great healthcare. Great place to learn and be a part of multidisciplinary team.

Cons

Work is often not divided equally; different expectations for different people in the same job and department. HR is not good at communication.

Middle management needs more training.

Good company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

company value, benefits, learning environment

Cons

pay, management, unit culture, holiday time off policy

A Place to be Proud of

Former Employee - Clinical Analyst in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Clinical Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at the University of Kansas Hospital. It's a wonderful institution and generally a great place to work. They strive to put patients concerns and cares as first priority and for the most part, they live up to this goal.

In my position, the pay was acceptable, certainly neither in the upper or lower ranges for the this clinical specialty.

It is exciting to be a part of a growing corporation and at this time, UKH is growing. The place is getting good press and is admired in the community and the country. Having that underlying pride and admiration for the organization in which you work is really uplifting and makes you want to go to work every day.

There are many opportunities to get into committees and nursing practice governance. In these committees you get to know other people throughout the organization, and that can be fun and helpful to your career. There is support for advancing your education such as getting a master's degree or a doctorate.

Many direct care positions work 12 hour shifts, and some areas have other schedules. There are a (relatively) few professional positions for nurses and they work standard hours (M-F 0800-1700) most of the time. Some positions require flexibility and will require working early mornings, evenings, or weekends for specific activities or events.

Volunteer opportunities abound, such as participation in charitable events, fundraisers, staffing events for affiliate organizations (Kauffman Stadium, Arrowhead, etc.)

Cons

There is a lot of emphasis on degrees and certifications. This is the cultural norm for the department of nursing and by my observation, you are thought less of if you don't have a certifications, but you are not thought more of (or given more opportunities, autonomy, or pay) if you have them. This kind of emphasis on certification and degrees is probably common in academic institutions and magnet institutions.

The culture of the institution has a physician emphasis, regardless of expertise. That is, physicians' opinions on non-medical business practices can outweigh business specialists' knowledge and expertise. Decisions are sometimes made thusly.

It's possible to "lay low" and quietly do your job. Tread carefully if you decide to get involved in all the governance and committee work. I observed bullying and favoritism from time to time among those who hold power in the organization.

Parking at the main campus is annoying - there isn't enough available nearby for the staff and the patients. Prepare for a hassle, especially when you are newly hired (unless you are special, and some people are special).

Continue to improve managerial style as a new generation of workers comes on board. The patriarchal model will not withstand the test of time.

Do not discourage nurses who quietly do their jobs without getting involved in committees and such. These people are the meat-and-potatoes of running your organization day to day, so value them and reward them. Recognize the value in skilled and experienced individuals and make an earnest effort to keep them. Understand the true cost of turn over, in the loss of organizational knowledge. In such a complicated large organization, this constant loss of knowledge is a risk.

Increase consistency in performance and accountability standards among the major business units of the organization.

I loved working at the hospital. However, there is no loyalty among senior leadership.

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best hospital in metro Kansas City to work for providing you get in the right department. I am a strong believer in loyalty, and there isn't any in the department I worked in. Top management is hiding behind his title as VP and the senior management of the hospital is letting him get away with it. The nurses are great and have great leadership. I would recommend working there if it's the right fit for you.

Cons

Ensuring your boss has your back. I use to tell people I was proud to work there. However, now I hesitate to say this. Their benefits package is second to none. My only grip is senior leadership let me down. I made a mistake, however, I wasn't given a warning. I had 13 years of honorable time I gave the hospital with outstanding evals, and they just tossed me to the curve.

Hold your senior leader's accountable as well as middle management. You should not allow folks to hide behind their title. A certain VP has fired 3 Director's and hasn't had to answer for any one of us. I gave this man and the hospital my life for 13 years and now I am trash. UNSAT!

Great place to work but not much room for growth.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mission, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My boss is wonderful. She let's you be independent but still has rules.

Cons

There is no where to gain promotion. Lots of positions to move sideways.

Look elsewhere

Pros

Good benefits in general but don't expect to use them.

Cons

No time off, no appreciate, upward mobility is a slow almost non-existent trudge. This is where your career goes to die.

Spend some time with your employees instead of trying to impress each other.

Proud to work here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In these questionable days of healthcare and economy, The University of Kansas Hospital uses strategic vision to continue to position our services for the highest quality care of our patients and the best employer for our employees. While other hospitals are laying employees off, University of Kansas Hospital continues to grow and HIRE! It is an employee-friendly culture where our top execs and leadership maintain open door practices. They have an Employee Relations team to advocate for employees and helps them address any concerns with their managers. It's an overall great place to work and I am very proud to say I work there!

Cons

It would be forward thinking to have HR at the executive table in a more strategic role. Hr wants to learn the business so they can help support the business and human resources needs of the company.

Partner strategically with you were human resources representative!

KUHA Experience

I have been working at The University of Kansas Hospital

Pros

Benefits, hours, flexible schedule, free parking

Cons

Far away parking, shuttled in from parking lots

Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Used to be flexible, have great benefits, and decent service. Decent PRO accruals and it is nice working for such a well known hospital.

Cons

Management is horrible. They care little about you although they put on a good face. My manager discusses my reviews, personal medical problems, personal home life, and write up with my coworkers. She carries out personal vendettas against other staff members and goes through people's emails. Human resources is disinterested and upper management doesn't want to be bothered unless they are losing money.

Benefits started great, but have seriously declined. Their excuse is being able to afford it, but they build new multi - million dollar buildings every other year. The company is broken up into many smaller companies and the benefits differ along with company perks. They don't care for their clients until they threaten to pull their business and then only long enough to calm them down and then forget them again.

Pull yourselves together. Upper management needs to take an active role in managing and regular managers need to stop ding petty children and stop acting inappropriate.