The University of Kansas

www.ku.edu

The University of Kansas Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
The University of Kansas – US – “KU Edwards Campus”

The University of Kansas Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little

Bernadette Gray-Little

Pros
  • The benefits were all right, and work/life balance was great(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits and management has a understanding of work life balance(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There were no cons with working at the Admissions office in college(in 4 reviews)

• Lazy co-workers, low salary, can get tedious as there is not much in the way of new innovation(in 3 reviews)

Great experience!

Career Coach (Former Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsGreat work environment and awesome tradition and culture! I really enjoyed all of my colleagues in this endeavor!

ConsIt is a larger institution which comes with it's cons. It's harder to change something as it goes through the right reporting lines.

Great place to work.

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsPersonal interested in R&D and to pursue my future career in academic or industry domain. That's why I choose KU. It is a great place to work.

ConsNo comment. Too busy to know company values, promotions, office culture, et.c. I do not know that.

Awesome!

ProsGreat atmosphere, Great people, great town!

ConsNone that i can think of!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Organization in Turmoil

KUIT Staffer (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsLots of great benefits, insanely great retirement, 1 class per semester free, great work environment. Interesting projects (most of the time).

ConsToo many chiefs, often poorly planned initiatives. faculty often perceive themselves as "better" than the non-PhD staff and have no problem showing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude staff into decision making, blind decisions cause more work down the line. Accept new information when making decisions, and don't stick with wrong paths.

Student positions lack appropriate leadership experience & initiative.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsRelaxed environment. Easy to balance school/work schedule.

ConsLeadership lacked experience and initiative. I had to make up for a lot of slack coming from my superiors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter checks and balances for employees in charge of student positions.

Great employer to work for!

ProsGreat benefits, friendly staff, room to grow!

ConsWork can be stressful during busy times (August/January).

Advice to Senior ManagementStay positive and friendly!

Excellent University with areas for improvement

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsExcellent education
    comparable compensation, depending on department

ConsNot enough support for graduate students
    No grad student union to speak of

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to grad students! More career services for those not wishing to continue in academia.

Good place to work

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsFlexible hours! Really found it convenient when I was studying full time and working

ConsIts a college so pay isn't great. But it's worth your time if you wanna make a little extra while going to school

Advice to Senior ManagementIdk my supervisor is a really nice guy. I dont really have any contact with other management. So, no comment

Good place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsOverall good culture with most staff being happy to work in a (mostly) relaxed environment compared to the mostly corporate alternatives.

ConsNo major cons of working here. Due to state (KS) funding dwindling, the average merit salary increases for the last 5 years have been low.

Good Executive Leadership, great direction, mediocre VP level management.

IT Engineer (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsAmazing environment. Incredibly smart working atmosphere. Educating the next leaders, teachers, and scientists of the world is a great reason to get up and head to work each day.

ConsVP level management is poor. Most of them come up from the ranks with little to no formal management training. HR needs major MAJOR overhaul to get out of the 1960's. Sr. Leadership is really quite good and understands what changes need to happen. They are just often glacially slow at identifying poorly performing management and addressing it. Financial management skills and tools are poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out any leadership position that isn't moving the University forward everyday. Seek ONLY the best leaders and carefully measure their areas productivity and employee feedback. Too many poor middle/upper management just make their staff work half to death to cover for their lack of planning, vision, and oversight.

Worked for The University of Kansas? Contribute to the Community!