The University of Massachusetts Amherst

Reset
4.0
The University of Massachusetts Amherst Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy
Kumble Subbaswamy

Pros
  • Great school, flexible hours, solid pay, excellent management (in 4 reviews)

• Good health care, scheduled raises, and time-off (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • not very good for students who has much more courses (in 3 reviews)

• Graduate stipend could be higher (in 3 reviews)

1. Research Assistant Review

Pros

Professors are helpful and generally supportive. There is a good amount of intellectual autonomy and freedom.

Cons

Sometimes there is academic bureaucracy and the opportunities for future research are limited unless you have a PhD or equivalent.

Advice to Management

None

2. Customer Service Associate

I worked at The University of Massachusetts Amherst part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment,friendly co-workers and if you're lucky a great supervisor.The job is pretty easy and allows students to see how things work behind the scenes.

Cons

The communication between offices is unsatisfactory, so there is a lot of assuming involved in the job. Managers sometimes expect you to know what you are doing even if the instructions are unclear.

Advice to Management

My advice tot hem would be communicate more between each other and their employees. Management needs to be less strict when it comes to accidents.

3. Residential Assistant

I have been working at The University of Massachusetts Amherst part-time

Pros

RA program is well organized and fair. Benefit of having room and board payed as well as a stipend is very much appreciated.

Cons

Administration can get a bit bogged down and bureaucratic. Some policies that we have to enforce make little/no sense, which can get frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Involve students in decisions about living standards. Working with students will help reduce housing stress, etc.

5. Graduate Researcher (PhD), Department of Cheimcal Engineering

Pros

The people in the Chemical Engineering Department really make Amherst a great place to work and live while pursing a graduate education. The course work is challenging and rewarding, and the research projects are on the cutting edge of technology. The research faculty are extremely good and concerned for the students needs while promoting advancement and conference attendance.

Cons

The university is not in a large city but within driving distance for weekend trips to NYC and Boston.

6. Not sure I would do my Ph D here again

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at The University of Massachusetts Amherst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Proximity to NYC and Boston. Grad student population can be nice. Nearby areas are beautiful in fall and spring

Cons

Poorly run school. Professors don't seem to care about graduate student development. Surprisingly high cost of living (my groceries from S&S cost more than from Whole Foods in Boston). School folds to undergraduate student demands a lot. Undergraduates are entitled and this is a party school.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to fail the undergraduates. The policy of grade inflation to allow weaker students to pass just dilutes the talent pool of alums and negatively impacts future recruiting here.

7. Nice place, nice department

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at The University of Massachusetts Amherst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PSE at Umass Amherst is a very cooperative and warm department with excellent professors and students.

Cons

There is a series of exams before you finally get your degree, CUME, ORP, etc.. It takes time and efforts.

8. Not bad, not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holyoke, MA

I worked at The University of Massachusetts Amherst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great co-workers, some people who really care, some who make the stereotype of the state worker true. Lots of time off Benefits.

Cons

Overworked. Too many responsibilities put on a single person. High stress on a regular basis. Poor planning creates unneeded emergencies.

Advice to Management

Plan things better. Create more career opportunities to continue upward mobility/change every 3-4years. Prepare internal staff to move up through new career ladders.

9. IT Developer

I worked at The University of Massachusetts Amherst part-time

Pros

Easy and relaxed work.

Cons

Low pay. Some people can be rude.

10. Research Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA

I have been working at The University of Massachusetts Amherst part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have enjoyed the flexible work schedule and ability to work from home. The research I do is interesting, and it's nice to have some ability to direct my own work and research.

Cons

The hiring process is a real bureaucratic slog, it took me over two months of work before I got my first paycheck.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I feel things are a little too relaxed, and management should set clearer rules and standards. However, as a research assistant this will depend a lot on who you work with.

11. Good for some...

Pros

The Professional development opportunities are amazing; whether its teaching, program development, assessment, committee involvement or simply working with other agencies there is always a chance to grow as a professional.

Cons

There is a negative climate that exist in many institutions of higher education however at UMASS Amherst the issue is systematic and supported in ways that have become part of the culture. Credit for ideas and initiatives are not always given to the ones who developed the concepts and many times that intellectual property is taken and altered under the guides of the "betterment of the student body" yet is later found to be use for personal gain by those publishing the altered work.

Advice to Management

Due to the fact that UMass-Amherst is so large, there are many different facets of management that allow people to be passed through to advancement of various positions due to nepotism and relationships with those in high management positions within the University. I believe that the University would be more cohesive and functional if the processes for advancement were closely regulated to allow advancement to those with experience, knowledge of the culture of the University and the surrounding areas, as well as those who have longevity in their given departments and fields; rather than being given a position because of inter-departmental relationships which exist behind closed doors.

RSS Feed </> Embed