The University of Massachusetts Amherst
www.umass.edu Amherst, MA

The University of Massachusetts Amherst Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
The University of Massachusetts Amherst – US – “Dorm room”

The University of Massachusetts Amherst Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy

Kumble Subbaswamy

great place to work

Research Fellow (Current Employee)
    Amherst, MA

Prosgreat area, benefits, lots of different types of work available

Consparking, my windows don't open, supervisor is rarely around, but accessible if needed

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)
    Amherst, MA

ProsGreat way to help pay graduate school tuition.

ConsNot many hours. Not much guidance/training provided.

Very fair

Aux Crew Member (Former Employee)
    Amherst, MA

ProsStudents are nice to work with and the environment is very laid back. You will find that it can be a great place to work if you aren't too itchy to get your work done at the gestest place possible.

ConsLeadership can be lax sometimes. You may find one day you appreciate that the boss isn't getting down your throat but the next day when your trying to do your best and others decided to be a bit lazy it can be rather frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive about getting results. A consistent manager is key to getting consistent results. The amount of people working is over kill at best, which is understandable as they need to fill up positions with students, but get them working and give them responsibilities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome School

Intern (Former Employee)
    Amherst, MA

ProsThe education that one is able to receive is outstanding, the people are generally very helpful, and my supervisor wanted me to succeed. It is expansive enough to be able to have many different challenges in the one day that it would be very hard to ever find it boring to work there. I loved UMass Amherst, the Flagship campus! Anyone would love it too.

ConsI did not find any cons when I was there. If they were there, I was fortunate to have experienced them.

Good benefits and job security, disheartening advancement prospects in the library

(Current Employee)

ProsAmple time off from this state university, compared to what I've heard about private employers. In addition-- I'm sure this isn't the case throughout all offices in the university, or even all parts of the library--my department's management is extremely accommodating in terms of time off, both for vacation and for family sickness and emergencies (the latter seems like basic decency to me, but I've heard enough horror stories about other workplaces and one of the former managers at one of the branch libraries here--to be very grateful that the office I work in is humane in this regard.) NOTE: I gave four stars, but "Satisfied" really isn't correct. But, neither is "Neutral" (three stars.) It's really 3.5: I'm frustrated as I describe below, under "cons," but deeply grateful to have a job with a middle-class salary from a workplace that doesn't feel like a sweatshop or an asylum. Such is America in 2014.

ConsDisregard for educated suggestions of front-line staff in favor of buzzwordy fantasies of upper management. Lip service is paid to fairness, but work and contributions of existing staff are ignored. As long-time upper-level paraprofessional and librarian employees have retired, their positions have been eliminated and lower-level staff left to pick up their work with no recognition of increased expertise they're required to obtain to continue to do the work that needs to be done.

Excellent research environment

Senior Research Fellow (Former Employee)
    Amherst, MA

ProsUMass Amherst really lives up to its fame. People are open-minded and were very welcoming. Even the salary was competitive with higher-ranked places such as MIT and Stanford

ConsAmherst is a really small town and UMass is the only game in town.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Graduate Student

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Amherst, MA

ProsI enjoy the small-town setting, and the opportunity to spend time in the woods when the weather is nice.

ConsI had a hard time finding an adviser experienced in the career path I was interested in pursuing, thought to be fair, my interests are very different from most others in my field.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear expectations about time management.

Nice place

ProsThey can admit more students, maybe.

ConsFaculty and students are very nice and helpful.

Not a bad place for a postdoc.

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe group allowed postdocs to pursue their own research and encouraged outside collaboration.

ConsThe research group was fractured and did not work together on many (if any) projects. Little interaction between profs and postdocs or students.

Great choice for graduate school

ProsSeamless transition from undergraduate to graduate studies. Great advisement.

ConsMust be able to remain self-motivated.

Worked for The University of Massachusetts Amherst? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The University of Massachusetts Amherst reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The University of Massachusetts Amherst CEO Kumble Subbaswamy. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by The University of Massachusetts Amherst employees.