The University of Texas Medical Branch

Updated December 2, 2014
3.2

The University of Texas Medical Branch CEO Donna K. Sollenberger
Donna K. Sollenberger

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent pay, & they invest in their employees' well-being (in 6 reviews)

• Great people to work with, great benefits, follows mission statement (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not enough support staff assigned to me and others support is overworked (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless about employees and internal workings of the branch (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, cutting edge

Former Employee - Executive Assistant, Fellowship Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant, Fellowship Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the heart of the TMC, the whole area is filled with professionalism, educational excellence and a desire to go next level of care. The university strives to overcome great difficulties, and it shows. Use of modern up to date technology even in their buildings to protect research, patients, the educational process and the whole team is evident. All this because they care.

Cons

Old school attitudes sometimes hinder full on progress. Fully dedicated staff requires care from management. This is difficult for those not trained to value their team.

Keep pushing for the best in leadership. Stay true to the supporters of educational excellence.

Registered Respiratory Therapist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

I have been working at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time

Pros

Great benifits and excellent hospital for training in all areas of the hospital

Cons

None as of yet that I can think of

Good place to work

I worked at The University of Texas Medical Branch

Pros

Great benefits, affordable medical insurance, you can accumulate good vacation and sick time.

Cons

Job promotions and raise are based on the department you are in.

I have been working at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for UTMB-CMC is a daily intellectual thrill ride that provides practical, hands-on training to Mental Health Case Managers in the areas of psychotic disorder treatment and relapse prevention to which no other organization in Texas can compare. The benefits are great, I always have enough clients, and my supervisors never miss an opportunity to teach me something new. Sounds great, doesn't it? The catch? My office is an old cell in a maximum security prison.

Cons

I had to manage my workday expectations when I started to come to the penitentiary 5 days a week for work. I am subject to pat-searches upon entry each morning, and after any time I go to the parking lot for a smoke break or to make a phone call (bringing in a cell phone is a felony). Words took on new meanings and my vocabulary became more colorful. My privacy is more important than ever and I feel strange when I hear someone call me by my first name in public, but all in all, the choice I made to accept a position with UTMB-CMC is one I would make again today if I had to, knowing now what I didn't know then.

Invest in a stronger, more robust EMR for CMC. The university loses untold amounts of money while we wait on PEARL.

Let the people impacted by a policy give feedback before a policy is enacted, at least for CMC. It is more practical than waiting a year for it to be reviewed and then doing away with it because it isn't feasible.

Come visit!

I have learned a great deal at UTMB.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, state and federal holidays, medical, dental and other benefits, 401k and Supplemental Retirement under Teachers Retirement fund. They also have a program to paying for school under a private foundation.

Cons

I worked in Dawson State Jail, a bit corrupttion with correctional officers.

Good job

I have been working at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time

Pros

The relationships amongst employees and benefits

Cons

too many changes in such a short time

Good

Current Employee - Ccso in Richmond, IN
    Current Employee - Ccso in Richmond, IN

I have been working at The University of Texas Medical Branch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Number of week days off in a row

Cons

Good days Bad Days not enough hours in a day

Need more training for Mangement

Excellent place to work

I worked at The University of Texas Medical Branch

Pros

Team work benefits great staff

Cons

None that I can think of

None

Extreme cronyism

Current Employee - IT Professional
    Current Employee - IT Professional

Pros

It is a job that pays regularly

Cons

Very cliquish, it is all about who you know at this place
    Seems to strongly favor promoting/hiring men
    Forced to take a 1 hour unpaid lunch break everyday, even when I would prefer to use only half an hour
    Lack of communication
    You have to go through several levels of management to get ANYTHING accomplished

Get managers who are not going to hire friends and family
    Get flexible with benefits that are not monetary
    Get rid of workers who are bullies and work on promoting a team atmosphere

EKG Technician

Former Employee - Ekg Technician in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Ekg Technician in Galveston, TX

Pros

Great benefit and retirement package.

Cons

Lack of professionalism in many departments.

More standards should be but in place & consequences given to those that don't comply. Peer employees should not be a part of the interview and hiring process.