The Vermont Country Store

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
3.5

Eliot Orton

VCS provided invaluable training and skills.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Manchester, VT
    Former Employee - Intern in Manchester, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store as an intern for more than a year

Pros

This local company gives the feeling of a close knit work space while providing the opportunities needed to grow a career. The company values are unbeatable and employees treated with the utmost respect.

Cons

If you're looking for a fast paced city to live in, this will not meet the requirements. It's a lovely Vermont town but there aren't a lot of recreational opportunities without travel.

My 2nd year of seasonal work.

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Supervisors are usually very accommodating about schedule changes, within reason. Often there are samples of food to try. They do supply fruit and coffee, etc.

Cons

This year, (so far), and last year I've enjoyed working with the other employees. Trainers are very thorough. However, when the trainees are working some trainers seem to have nothing to do. Compensation, I'm thinking this year, isn't quite up to what I thought it would be. For a second year employee I thought I'd get a small raise for returning but I didn't. All year I've been thinking of the awesome employee sale that will happen later in the season. But, after weighing the pay and all the other 'benefits' it's not worth it to me. I am looking for other employment. Why did I go back? The employee sale. But ,like I said, it's just not worth it. Also, I've been reading other reviews and I have to agree that there are too many supervisors, coordinators and trainers. If someone is going to be in a position like that they should be able to show a bit of leadership. If there isn't already, there should be a class for leadership, or at least a hand- out explaining how their actions affect others.

Rethink salaries. I'd rather bring in my own candy and fruit, etc and receive a higher pay. Trainers should have something to do, instead of literally standing and watching people work. To me, that is not a good example of leadership any employee should see or want to emulate!

Great company in Vermont

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WAS very employee-centric company with great perks and benefits! Great training programs

Cons

Culture was changing and becoming more "corporate".

Look at salaries for retail, CS & DC-they are in need of an overhaul. Get better at communication across the whole business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Family run company that cares about the people who work for them.

I worked at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Solid company, Care about employees, growth ooprtunities if you let it be known. Very much into health and wellness to include vending machine options, a workout room and nutritional/health advice.

Cons

Work/life balance sometimes is hard

Keep doing what you are doing

its a great seasonal place to work

Former Employee - DC Packing  in  Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - DC Packing in Rutland, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store as an intern for less than a year

Pros

the people who work there are great people to get to know and become friends with employee discount on things you buy emplotee sale is over the top !

Cons

the end of the season

maybe look at starting vermont country store ll where you sell things for the now generation younger people,if you dont change you will be left behind on the side lines

Will join the ranks of Polaroid, Blockbuster and Kodak

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manchester Center, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee discounts at the stores are good.

Cons

Sharing a better way to do something (unless you are a highly paid outside consultant) will most certainly get your job "eliminated." This organization chases away talent time and again in favor of veteran automatons who know how to "play the game". It is better to lie, maintain the status quo and compliment the "Emperor's New Clothes" rather than point out the naked truth. This organization is on a crash course with disaster and will soon join the ranks of failed companies like Polaroid and Blockbuster because of its inability to adapt to change and embrace technology.

Organizations are flattening. Your old-school, top-down, under-your-thumb, fear-mongering management tactics only serve to kill the good ideas that might actually ensure your sustainability and/or survival. Consider cleaning house of the managers that enjoy demoralizing hard-working bright employees because they might know a thing or two that the senior technologically inept manager doesn't (you know who you are!). Owners if you continue to leave those kinds of Luddites in their positions of power, you will surely speed up your own demise sooner than later by keeping employee morale at an all-time-low.

And guess what... you can't control what people say about you in today's social media driven environment no matter how hard you try!

Amazing Transformation: a Good Company Becomes Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manchester Center, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Incredible dedication to employees and customers. Bonuses higher than anywhere in the industry- for all employees, not just top management. Now that the next generation of owners has taken over and made significant investments in people and technology, the business is taking on new life and becoming a world class company. One of the most authentic brands in America just waiting to be discovered by millions of new customers.

Cons

Location makes it hard to find top talent in key positions. Could still use more help with technology. Would be nice to have more seasonal employee events and company outings- helps team spirit!

Keep investing in great people and systems- the efforts so far are paying off in a huge way. Love that the sons are more involved and running the show. Ignore the few nasty posts on this site from bitter former employees- we all know who they are and why they had to go!

Great employer - great family!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manchester Center, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Great opportunities for growth through cross function teams.
    Bonus program is very generous and not many companies offer it to all employees anymore.
    Work/life balance has kept me at VCS.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility at the leadership level

Micromanagement and favoritism

Former Employee - Clerk  in  North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Clerk in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Flexible schedules, that's about it

Cons

Absolutely no chance of promotion based on the merits of your performance. After working for several years, I lost several responsibilities, instead of gaining as expected. Micromanagement is ridiculous. They'll admonish you to save the company money by using the proper size box to pack an order, yet sometimes you'll stand around for several minutes with no work. They treat you like children. In the busy season, they use regular folks to be 'supervisors' (a money-saving ploy), but these people know no more than regular clerks. You may be told to do one thing by one person and another thing by another person. The people who are year-round managers - Oh my God - ego city. They are also the type to stand there and watch you do something wrong, then get mad because you've done something wrong. Instead, they may try saying "you're doing that wrong."
    They have eliminated all bonuses, saving themselves thousands upon thousands of dollars every year. These bonuses in the past gave them a great reputation as a wonderful place to work. They no longer enjoy this reputation. They've also made it so that if you work the phones, you now have to sell sell sell to the customers. They brag in daily meetings how much $$ in sales this brings in, and how they've had record munber of sales overall, yet again, all bonuses have been eliminated. I agree with the prior comment about the culture - it's all about money now, not the people who work there. When I started, their little 'buzz' phrase was "We want to be the employer of choice." Funny, haven't heard that for awhile.
    Having Bill Shouldice enter as CEO in 2005 was their number one biggest mistake. The Ortons need to open their eyes and realize this. Every year they have an employee survey - that you have to do by computer (and put your name so you're easily identified)!! Obviously, they are not interested in keeping their employees happy any more.

Rethink your choice of CEO. LOOK at what he has done to employee satisfaction!! You cannot continue to deny this! I doubt if it has even saved you very much money in the end. If so, is it worth it now that pretty much everyone hates to work there? You WILL reach the end of available work force.

Reader beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manchester Center, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

The business is located in a beautiful part of the country. Like all comapnies, it has some very nice people sprinkled around the various departments.

Cons

This comapny is the poster child for a disfunctional "family business". All the jokes made about family businesses apply to VCS; i.e. rude/iracible owner, out to lunch family members, they are in it for the money - not the love of the business, have only "yes men" as managers, micro-manage the smallest detail, all employees are taught they are to jump when the family sneezes and the owner is never wrong.

The worst IT systems I have encountered in my catalog business career. Getting information you can use is quite hard and very time consuming.

The middle managers do not stick up for their employees. It is every person for themselves.

The hours can be crazy. Why live in such a beautiful place if you are not able to enjoy it. The company claims they have an appreciation/understanding of work/home life balance, that is a joke.

They do not want anybody who will not conform to the companies rigid mold. If you are an intelligent, creative, free thinker; run in the opposite direction. The people that servive at VCS are the ones that just conform completely.

Hire someone who knows how to run a catalog and who has experience doing just that. Tell the family to get in or out. Stop interferring from the edges.

Worked for The Vermont Country Store? Contribute to the Community!