The Vermont Country Store

Updated October 10, 2014
3.5

Eliot Orton

Great Place to work

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company that cares about it's employees. Have been there for more than 3 years and have had ups and downs but over all it is a fun place to work. Supervisors are willing to listen (most of them anyway) and help work out schedules and help you keep a work/life balance. Also the Orton family is generous with the financial programs they have put in to place including bonuses and hardship help

Cons

Company values when I started there were high. It seems over the last couple of years things have been starting to change. One change that has a lot of people upset is becoming numbers instead of names. When we pack a package for a person we are proud and want that person to know who did this for them. But to save money we are going to use numbers. Another thing is activities seem to be coming a thing of the past. Employee sales used to be a big thing but they don't seem to be happening. Promotions are not forth coming if you are a person that speaks your mind, We are told to come forward with issues but when we do we are later told we are being "negative"

Remember that in order to get the best out of people you need to treat them with respect and not like robots. taking away something as small as a name on a package can upset someone more than saying we can't pay a bonus this year. Listen to what people are buzzing about and not close your minds and say "be open to change".

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Telephone Services Representative in North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Telephone Services Representative in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to choose your shift. Employee sales/discount. Nice experience to chat with some of the older customers when it's slow enough to do so.

Cons

Supervisors aren't always the most helpful (depends on who you have). Frustrating that when it's slow your only option is to separate/tear return labels instead of being given a meaningful task. It's as if they don't trust you or don't think you can handle doing other work while waiting for that beep in your ear. For someone who has to stay busy like myself, that can become annoying. Some of the elderly customers are downright rude and will speak to you in a mean manner and you have to take it.

Management needs to be trained better. Give the employees that want more to do a better list of options so they feel like they're contributing when it's slow.

My 2nd year of seasonal work.

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Supervisors are usually very accommodating about schedule changes, within reason. Often there are samples of food to try. They do supply fruit and coffee, etc.

Cons

This year, (so far), and last year I've enjoyed working with the other employees. Trainers are very thorough. However, when the trainees are working some trainers seem to have nothing to do. Compensation, I'm thinking this year, isn't quite up to what I thought it would be. For a second year employee I thought I'd get a small raise for returning but I didn't. All year I've been thinking of the awesome employee sale that will happen later in the season. But, after weighing the pay and all the other 'benefits' it's not worth it to me. I am looking for other employment. Why did I go back? The employee sale. But ,like I said, it's just not worth it. Also, I've been reading other reviews and I have to agree that there are too many supervisors, coordinators and trainers. If someone is going to be in a position like that they should be able to show a bit of leadership. If there isn't already, there should be a class for leadership, or at least a hand- out explaining how their actions affect others.

Rethink salaries. I'd rather bring in my own candy and fruit, etc and receive a higher pay. Trainers should have something to do, instead of literally standing and watching people work. To me, that is not a good example of leadership any employee should see or want to emulate!

VCS provided invaluable training and skills.

Former Employee - Intern in Manchester, VT
    Former Employee - Intern in Manchester, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

This local company gives the feeling of a close knit work space while providing the opportunities needed to grow a career. The company values are unbeatable and employees treated with the utmost respect.

Cons

If you're looking for a fast paced city to live in, this will not meet the requirements. It's a lovely Vermont town but there aren't a lot of recreational opportunities without travel.

Great company in Vermont

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

WAS very employee-centric company with great perks and benefits! Great training programs

Cons

Culture was changing and becoming more "corporate".

Look at salaries for retail, CS & DC-they are in need of an overhaul. Get better at communication across the whole business.

A Family run company that cares about the people who work for them.

I worked at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Solid company, Care about employees, growth ooprtunities if you let it be known. Very much into health and wellness to include vending machine options, a workout room and nutritional/health advice.

Cons

Work/life balance sometimes is hard

Keep doing what you are doing

its a great seasonal place to work

Former Employee - DC Packing in Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - DC Packing in Rutland, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

the people who work there are great people to get to know and become friends with employee discount on things you buy emplotee sale is over the top !

Cons

the end of the season

maybe look at starting vermont country store ll where you sell things for the now generation younger people,if you dont change you will be left behind on the side lines

Will join the ranks of Polaroid, Blockbuster and Kodak

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester Center, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discounts at the stores are good.

Cons

Sharing a better way to do something (unless you are a highly paid outside consultant) will most certainly get your job "eliminated." This organization chases away talent time and again in favor of veteran automatons who know how to "play the game". It is better to lie, maintain the status quo and compliment the "Emperor's New Clothes" rather than point out the naked truth. This organization is on a crash course with disaster and will soon join the ranks of failed companies like Polaroid and Blockbuster because of its inability to adapt to change and embrace technology.

Organizations are flattening. Your old-school, top-down, under-your-thumb, fear-mongering management tactics only serve to kill the good ideas that might actually ensure your sustainability and/or survival. Consider cleaning house of the managers that enjoy demoralizing hard-working bright employees because they might know a thing or two that the senior technologically inept manager doesn't (you know who you are!). Owners if you continue to leave those kinds of Luddites in their positions of power, you will surely speed up your own demise sooner than later by keeping employee morale at an all-time-low.

And guess what... you can't control what people say about you in today's social media driven environment no matter how hard you try!

Amazing Transformation: a Good Company Becomes Great

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Incredible dedication to employees and customers. Bonuses higher than anywhere in the industry- for all employees, not just top management. Now that the next generation of owners has taken over and made significant investments in people and technology, the business is taking on new life and becoming a world class company. One of the most authentic brands in America just waiting to be discovered by millions of new customers.

Cons

Location makes it hard to find top talent in key positions. Could still use more help with technology. Would be nice to have more seasonal employee events and company outings- helps team spirit!

Keep investing in great people and systems- the efforts so far are paying off in a huge way. Love that the sons are more involved and running the show. Ignore the few nasty posts on this site from bitter former employees- we all know who they are and why they had to go!

Great employer - great family!

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

Great opportunities for growth through cross function teams.
    Bonus program is very generous and not many companies offer it to all employees anymore.
    Work/life balance has kept me at VCS.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility at the leadership level