The Washington Post

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

The Washington Post Publisher and CEO Katharine Weymouth

Katharine Weymouth

Pros:
  • "Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Happy to be gone

Technical Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat, great people. Cannot say enough about the (regular worker) people!

ConsJournalist side of the house is highly favored over supporting departments (HR, finance, IT, marketing, sales, etc). High-level executives are completely disconnected from those that do the work. There are literally no employee perks left -- no cafeteria, no coffee/tea/water, barely any health benefits, no holiday parties, no tuition reimbursement, no bonuses (for anyone but high-level executive), etc. Many people who have been in the same job for years (decades even). Utter lack of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some charismatic leaders with vision (maybe Jeff Bezos is the guy!). Clean house of executives who do not actively move the company toward mobile and web-based content. Print is a sinking ship, start acting like it. Lip service does not turn companies around. Put your money where you mouth is.

Talented people, working hard toTa convey good vvvvjournalism.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsLots of opportunity for people who are committed and ambitious. A newsroom open to ideas and innovation. Our industry is going through tremendous change, but The Post at least is open to change, and now with the purchase by Jeff Bezos, I'm sure you'll see more change.

ConsQuality of editors varies, some excellent, some not so much. Some editors not adventurous enough, or insightful enough to spot good ideas and implement them or not confident enough to let their reporters run with a good idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing quality journalism, and being open to new ideas.

Don't get stuck here!

ProsIt's great to tell people that you work for an institution. The brand has prestige and that draws really talented people. Our news department still occasionally offers public service such as our series on Walter Reed, breaking news coverage and even some of the daily Metro reportage.

ConsThe newsroom is in serious cutback mode. There are more and more mistakes in our stories -- everything from fact errors to typos. We're constantly told by the publisher to make ourselves "indispensible" by doubling up on more work. However, through a quiet process of attrition, we've been made to feel disposable and that no one can actually be indispensible. The pressure is horrible. When it's time for evaluations, qualified people get pushed out the door as a way to get around 'last hired, first fired.' The newer employees are also leaving because of the bad morale and low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to treating your employees like employees instead of pack mules.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outdated technology and day-to-day processes

Washington, DC

ProsSalary, location, metro-accessible, health benefits and compensation package, overtime, amount of vacation and sick days available and the largest and most-recognized print news source in the Washington, DC area

ConsUpper management and managers are clueless when making decisions, old technology, sales goals are not realistic, trying to hold on to a dying print-based industry, no tuition reimbursement and boring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't get blood out of a turnip.

Just awful...

Web Producer (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe only reason to work here is to get the name "Washington Post" on your resume

ConsThe turnover was insane when I was here. I started in May 2006, by August I was the most senior person on my team (there were only two people left on the entire team!). Everyone left cause my boss was horrible. He was quickly demoted then fired for being so awful and to this day I struggle to provide potential employers with the contact information for a supervisor from the Post since it was such a mess.

I worked the night shift, and the day shift supervisor became our interim manager, but she didn't work at night and she wound up quitting a few months later. Then we had a series of day-shift people alternate taking the helms a few nights a week, and they weren't very happy about it.

It was ridiculous, I had been here only a few months and was pretty much on my own deciding what to feature on the HOMEPAGE seen by thousands (millions?) of people. On Saturday nights when I tried to call people with questions they were typically out drinking; on weeknights they were in bed and angry that I woke them up.

I constantly requested a move to the day shift due to health issues (and that the night team was such a horrible place, I'll get to that more later) and applied for more than a dozen day-shift positions, but every time I was told "But you're so good on the night team! We NEED you there!" That's a great way to treat your employees, punish them for doing a good job. One time they gave a day-side position that I applied for to an intern and I was told it was because she had never worked the night shift and I was so good at it. Yes I took the job knowing I'd have to work nights, but I was also lied to in my interview. My boss said I'd have either Friday or Saturday nights off. I wound up with Mondays and Tuesdays off. How can I meet people or see my out-of-town friends and family working every weekend?!

They could not care less that I had a note from my doctor about how the night shift was causing me all these problems. The HR department was a joke.

Working for the Web site and on the night team was a double blow in terms of lack of appreciation. The people at the newspaper considered everyone at the website to just be button-pushers (not real journalists) and the day-side people treated us like seat-fillers, just keeping their chairs warm while they were in bed or out partying. If we ever made any kind of editorial decision overnight (which we had to do since we had no supervisors and no one wanted us calling them in the middle of the night!), then we were greeted with very mean, insulting e-mails the next morning reminding us that we aren't important enough to make such decisions. Because we rarely saw these people in person, they had no problem treating us so badly, especially the paper people, we were just voices on the other end of the phone to them.

Working at the Post made me a bitter, negative person. It was such a toxic environment and it's taken years for me to shed that bitterness in my inner-office communications. I just got into such a habit of receiving and writing mean e-mails during my two and a half years there. I would never EVER work there again and would never recommend the Post to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't punish someone for a job well done. If you need a person to work in a position they really don't want to then reward them for a job well done by promoting them or giving them a bonus. And teach everyone to respect one another, promote a positive work environment. And value your employees who aren't in upper management, they work really hard and deserve better.

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsNice Colleagues
    Work from home option
    DC Downtown
    Latest Technology

ConsBoring environment
    No onsite cafeteria
    No Coffee

Top Heavy Company, Keep your manager happy

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay for the region

ConsBad Commute if not living in DC

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease connect with your team

Great people, great culture!

ProsThe people at the Post are great to work with! Additionally, the firm is exploring new ventures and is working to advance the synergy of its digital and print products.

ConsAt the same time, the increasing use of tablets and other print substitutes have put a lot of pressure on the firm.

Absolutely zero leadership

ProsThe people that do the actual work are great people. The tech side of the house is actually filled with very intelligent people.

ConsLeadership is astoundingly bad. There's 0 vision for the company, other than trying to maintain what's left of print circulation. Projects are started and killed a year later despite success. There's no rhyme or reason to anything.

Watch massive layoffs to hit the operating income (100's of people), and then the publisher will take a $3million bonus for hitting the target.

The industry is only getting worse, and there are absolutely zero plans in progress to address the downward spiral.

At this point Don is treating the company like a charity, not a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your growth sectors, fire every single one of your executives, cut the middle management, and produce better content. You need ONE person with vision and some people to execute. You currently have around 40 "leaders" with no vision at all.

Myopic organization run like a chaotic family business

(Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosnothing..This organization is a joke for any self respecting ambitious professional

ConsRun away from this. No direction or vision. The executives have no idea what does digital/ mobile world means. Very incompetent and unethical company. I am surprised how it has still been part of Berkshire portfolio. This business should not be in existence since it does more harm than good to the society. Content is produced by third grade editorial team that has no respect for what user wants in the current times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cooking books for making year end bonuses. Face reality. Print is dying. Adapt to mobile/digital world, way other businesses did.

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!

The Washington Post – Why Work for Us?

Make The Headlines. Every Day. Want to work for an organization whose impact and reach are respected around the world? Want a job where you actually make a difference instead of just show up? At The Washington Post… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Washington Post reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Washington Post CEO Katharine Weymouth. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by The Washington Post employees.