The Washington Post

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

The Washington Post Publisher and CEO Katharine Weymouth

Katharine Weymouth

Pros:
  • "Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Company has a great work-life balance, family friendly-understands when you have to deal with health or family issues"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New but Happy

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

ProsCollaborative, intelligent coworkers, meaningful work, clear strategies, potential for growth, great location, good perks, lots of training and development, etc.

ConsIf you come from a small org. you need to get used to a bigger environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe reviews on Glassdoor are a lot more negative than the experiences I have had first-hand. It would be a shame to deter talent from joining the organization based on these negative reviews!

Great place to work for hard working individuals, but needs position itself for the future

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Post has a very collegial environment. Hard-work and performance are rewarded. The Washington Post is a great brand that is recognized internationally. It's nice to mention your employer and have people recognize it. Increased investment in technology is promising for the future.

ConsIt has a very strong legacy business, which is declining. The future mission is not clear. However, it is clear that The Washington Post is investing a lot of time and energy in the future of the company trying "crack the code" of the media industry/newspaper/technology dilemma and where it wants to place its self.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery much a classic business model hierarchy. Need to figure out the company's new mission. Share the mission with employees. Be transparent. Need to re-structure for the future and try some more modern workplace initiatives.

Great place to work - enjoyable, challenging & interesting.

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers, great location, work is meaningful, challenging, interesting and valued. Opportunities for growth and learning. My management team is terrific.

ConsSome areas are stuck in past - this is changing, just needs to be faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease tele work and flex work schedules. Make it easy for work to be done form any location - we all need work cell phones and tablets. A good amount of dead weight has been cut. There needs to be salary increases for people who are left who are top performers. Continue to cut dead weight especially within the mgmt ranks.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere was a talented and energetic staff throughout my entire tenure at the newspaper, which is popular with Metro riders.

ConsThe hours are challenging for someone looking to raise a family, as is the case with all jobs in the journalism field.

Good place to work

Assignment Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIts a well-respected publication, and carries prestige.

ConsThe newspaper industry is iffy.

Fabled news organization, now owned privately, disruptive times for print

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is a well-funded pension plan here.
The history of the company is interesting. Watergate, Pentagon Papers, Unibomber papers, all the news about NSA and CIA, anything to do with elections.
The projects can be very exciting and unusual.
There is a good discount on newspaper subscriptions for employees.
A strange new Guaranteed Savings contribution type of thing instead of a large 401(k) match.

ConsThe news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet.
Many cuts have left morale in the dumps, but our new owner (Amazon's founder: Jeff Bezos) is inspiring some hope here. The new owner is NOT Amazon itself, but taken private from the Graham family's publicly traded company (now known as Graham Holdings Inc.).
The 401(k) match (not counting the Guaranteed Savings contribution piece) is only against the first 1% of the employee's contribution.

Great co-workers and when you call people, they answer.

Reporter (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to be a part of one of the greatest legacy newsrooms on the face of the planet. The people here are whip-smart and very willing to teach you. D.C. can be a great town if it's the kind of place that fits your personality.

ConsDon't be a journalist if you want work-life balance. Especially at The Post, you have to mindful of where you are and the standards that the company name implies. The newsroom can be a bit chaotic, but if you know what you want and you do good work, that rises above all.

Advice to Senior ManagementYounger people tend to be overlooked in the newsroom a bit -- and not just because they aren't willing to put in their dues. A lot of the upper management, and some of the older reporters, are still having a problem with the shift to digital news and all that implies, so in some quarters you may have trouble finding respect for new ideas. That said, there are definitely people who will listen to you, have clout, and are willing to get things done. You just have to find them.

The Washington Post is a vibrant organization open to change.

Assignment Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSenior management is open to new ideas and willing to allow employees to experiment and try new ideas. The prestige and history of the Post is hard to replace.

ConsI wish there was more diversity in upper management and those identified as "star" reporters, but the organization is aware of those issues and is attempting to address is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fall victim to the star system.

Great brand, but that was about it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Washington Post

ProsGreat brand. On site gym if you like to work out. Great on boarding process.

ConsWork/life depends on department management. Some departments slow to change and adapt. Very pen and paper- slow to embrace new technologies to support business processes. Little comraderie within department. Little cross training within department and knowledge sharing. Most people only knew how to do their job and would be unable to backfill other colleagues in department. Just come to work, do your work and go home.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people are better senior individual contributors than managers. Hold people accountable not just on deliverables, but how well they manage others. Turnover can be high some areas. Glad that Bezos took over. Perhaps he can infuse some new thinking into organization about future of newspaper publishing.

Salary

Manager, IT (Former Employee)

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany cares for its employees

ConsJust bought out by Amazon. Future unknown

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!

The Washington Post – Why Work for Us?

Make The Headlines. Every Day. Want to work for an organization whose impact and reach are respected around the world? Want a job where you actually make a difference instead of just show up? At The Washington Post… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Washington Post reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Washington Post CEO Katharine Weymouth. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by The Washington Post employees.