The Washington Post

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

The Washington Post Publisher and CEO Katharine Weymouth

Katharine Weymouth

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture(in 4 reviews)

• Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed(in 8 reviews)

• The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet(in 4 reviews)

Overall, a pretty good experience.

National Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsPros: Decent Middle management, working for a World Class Brand and excellent sales support. Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture.

ConsCons: Lacking in the technology and Programmatic department, slow on the uptake and staying relevant/competitive in the marketplace. Salaries are not very competitive and opportunities for growth are non-existent. Lack of Brand Identity: too Washington DC focused and not enough of a national New site focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job on the re-org, more focus needs to be on bringing up the top performers and getting rid of the dead weight. Need to Re-energize company values and company culture.

not so many opportunities

ProsGreat people to work with, flexible, gym is available in the building

ConsAdvance career opportunities are limited. Company does not make me feel that the employees are valuable.

National Account Manager

ProsGreat people and good environment.

ConsInnovation and research and developement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reporter for Washington-Post Station

Talent (Current Employee)

ProsIt is an independent station so the news was hyper-local which is great at a time when news stations must compete with the internet for eyeballs. The weather is lovely and most of the employees are easy to get along with.

ConsI found it difficult to get promoted, the hours were absolutely grueling and the moral pretty low, though that captures the sentiment of the entire community.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater compensation and room for upward mobility. It seems like promotions were harder for African-American employees.

New but Happy

ProsCollaborative, intelligent coworkers, meaningful work, clear strategies, potential for growth, great location, good perks, lots of training and development, etc.

ConsIf you come from a small org. you need to get used to a bigger environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe reviews on Glassdoor are a lot more negative than the experiences I have had first-hand. It would be a shame to deter talent from joining the organization based on these negative reviews!

Great place to work for hard working individuals, but needs position itself for the future

Human Resources (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Post has a very collegial environment. Hard-work and performance are rewarded. The Washington Post is a great brand that is recognized internationally. It's nice to mention your employer and have people recognize it. Increased investment in technology is promising for the future.

ConsIt has a very strong legacy business, which is declining. The future mission is not clear. However, it is clear that The Washington Post is investing a lot of time and energy in the future of the company trying "crack the code" of the media industry/newspaper/technology dilemma and where it wants to place its self.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery much a classic business model hierarchy. Need to figure out the company's new mission. Share the mission with employees. Be transparent. Need to re-structure for the future and try some more modern workplace initiatives.

Good place to work

Assignment Editor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIts a well-respected publication, and carries prestige.

ConsThe newspaper industry is iffy.

Great place to work - enjoyable, challenging & interesting.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat co-workers, great location, work is meaningful, challenging, interesting and valued. Opportunities for growth and learning. My management team is terrific.

ConsSome areas are stuck in past - this is changing, just needs to be faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease tele work and flex work schedules. Make it easy for work to be done form any location - we all need work cell phones and tablets. A good amount of dead weight has been cut. There needs to be salary increases for people who are left who are top performers. Continue to cut dead weight especially within the mgmt ranks.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a talented and energetic staff throughout my entire tenure at the newspaper, which is popular with Metro riders.

ConsThe hours are challenging for someone looking to raise a family, as is the case with all jobs in the journalism field.

Fabled news organization, now owned privately, disruptive times for print

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere is a well-funded pension plan here.
    The history of the company is interesting. Watergate, Pentagon Papers, Unibomber papers, all the news about NSA and CIA, anything to do with elections.
    The projects can be very exciting and unusual.
    There is a good discount on newspaper subscriptions for employees.
    A strange new Guaranteed Savings contribution type of thing instead of a large 401(k) match.

ConsThe news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet.
    Many cuts have left morale in the dumps, but our new owner (Amazon's founder: Jeff Bezos) is inspiring some hope here. The new owner is NOT Amazon itself, but taken private from the Graham family's publicly traded company (now known as Graham Holdings Inc.).
    The 401(k) match (not counting the Guaranteed Savings contribution piece) is only against the first 1% of the employee's contribution.

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!