The Washington Post Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.5
The Washington Post CEO & Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture (in 5 reviews)

• Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed (in 8 reviews)

• The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

My only job where I got awesome salary and a lot of challenging work.

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work on cutting edge technologies, lot of projects in latest trends. Two day work from home.

Cons

it took me more than a minute to think of a CON, that means I have none, or are not significant.

2. Good internship experience.

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Good learning environment. great newspaper. The managers and other cowokers were extremely knowledgeble, friendly, and eager to assist you in whatever way you in whatever way they can.

Cons

Can get dull at times. The work can be repetitive - perhaps accounting just isn't for me.

Advice to Management

N/A

3. Talented people, working hard toTa convey good vvvvjournalism.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for people who are committed and ambitious. A newsroom open to ideas and innovation. Our industry is going through tremendous change, but The Post at least is open to change, and now with the purchase by Jeff Bezos, I'm sure you'll see more change.

Cons

Quality of editors varies, some excellent, some not so much. Some editors not adventurous enough, or insightful enough to spot good ideas and implement them or not confident enough to let their reporters run with a good idea.

Advice to Management

Keep doing quality journalism, and being open to new ideas.

5. Little to complain about

I have been working at The Washington Post part-time

Pros

The people are hard-working, intelligent, and passionate—and often very kind, to boot. The benefits are quite good for freelancers and part-timers.

Cons

The only significant downside relates to media generally today—it does not receive as much financial support as an organization of this importance deserves. People are often stretched fairly thin for this reason.

Advice to Management

Especially with Bezos in charge now, please keep the bottom line out of your mind!

6. Refreshing

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Great environment that appreciates valuable input, very consultatitive business, well-structured, management is sharp, excellent benefits, the transition with the Bezos acquisition is going very well - has left a great sense of excitement among the Post, great opportuntiy to work with smart people.

Cons

Parking can be difficult if you don't care to metro

7. Great place to work

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was a talented and energetic staff throughout my entire tenure at the newspaper, which is popular with Metro riders.

Cons

The hours are challenging for someone looking to raise a family, as is the case with all jobs in the journalism field.

8. Great place to work - enjoyable, challenging & interesting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great location, work is meaningful, challenging, interesting and valued. Opportunities for growth and learning. My management team is terrific.

Cons

Some areas are stuck in past - this is changing, just needs to be faster.

Advice to Management

Increase tele work and flex work schedules. Make it easy for work to be done form any location - we all need work cell phones and tablets. A good amount of dead weight has been cut. There needs to be salary increases for people who are left who are top performers. Continue to cut dead weight especially within the mgmt ranks.

New but Happy

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, intelligent coworkers, meaningful work, clear strategies, potential for growth, great location, good perks, lots of training and development, etc.

Cons

If you come from a small org. you need to get used to a bigger environment.

Advice to Management

The reviews on Glassdoor are a lot more negative than the experiences I have had first-hand. It would be a shame to deter talent from joining the organization based on these negative reviews!

Perhaps the best journalism job one can have

Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing experiences almost daily in working with some of the best journalists in the business. Exciting, engaging atmosphere where quality was always the biggest consideration. Lots of friendly people. Senior management has changed since my time there, but I hear good things from friends who are still around. There's nothing like the place on election night. Compensation is very good to excellent.

Cons

As budgetary concerns became more serious toward the end of my time there, quite a bit more pressure was put on copy editors and supervisors as the desks evolved from separate National, Foreign, Financial, etc., to A-Section then Universal. It was difficult to try to meet the same standards we had met for years.

Advice to Management

Despite the need to focus heavily on digital, I think a nationwide Sunday Post print edition would sell well.

11. Happy I worked here

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands-down best people I've ever worked with, cool location, proud to work for a well-known brand

Cons

Things move slowly and some of the egos on the business side are inexplicably inflated

Advice to Management

Hire smart as you've been doing for the past few years. Don't be afraid to filter out those who are afraid of change - they will hold you back

RSS Feed </> Embed