The Washington Post

Updated September 11, 2014
3.6

The Washington Post Publisher and CEO Katharine Weymouth
Katharine Weymouth

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture (in 4 reviews)

• Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed (in 8 reviews)

• The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Slowly improving

Current Employee - Web Editor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, commitment to journalism, opportunities for growth

Cons

Bureaucracy and office politics, less than stellar pay

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy working hours. As long as you get your work done, management is not hounding you with respect to your time. Not a "punching the clock" atmosphere.
    I love the gym downstairs with classes (yoga, kickboxing, strength training)! I've lost weight and feel great! Awesome place to work. The rooftop patio was amazing too.

Cons

The company is moving to a smaller location come 2015. No more gym and classes. No more rooftop patio. The atmosphere will change as the company transitions as employees will have to share desks and work from home more often. Sad turn of events.

Keep on what your doing. You're doing great!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is headed in a new direction and has a much brighter future. What makes it so great to work here is the people. I have never been surrounded by so many competent and helpful people.

Cons

Upward mobility is a little difficult depending on where you are in the company. Be sure that you have a promotion path planned and available.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happy I worked here

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hands-down best people I've ever worked with, cool location, proud to work for a well-known brand

Cons

Things move slowly and some of the egos on the business side are inexplicably inflated

Hire smart as you've been doing for the past few years. Don't be afraid to filter out those who are afraid of change - they will hold you back

Great experience being part of a print centric organization transforming itself into a digital one in the "Bezos" era

Current Employee - Newsroom-Digital  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Newsroom-Digital in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture that naturally treats employees with respect and dignity; excitement about additional resources to compete more effectively in the future; very smart people throughout the organization; good work/life balance

Cons

Very difficult to move up in the organization; there should be a better balance between using data and common business sense to make important decisions; organizational structure does not lend itself for good collaboration and getting initiatives done quickly.

Reevaluate organizational structure

Perhaps the best journalism job one can have

Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing experiences almost daily in working with some of the best journalists in the business. Exciting, engaging atmosphere where quality was always the biggest consideration. Lots of friendly people.
    Senior management has changed since my time there, but I hear good things from friends who are still around.
    There's nothing like the place on election night.
    Compensation is very good to excellent.

Cons

As budgetary concerns became more serious toward the end of my time there, quite a bit more pressure was put on copy editors and supervisors as the desks evolved from separate National, Foreign, Financial, etc., to A-Section then Universal. It was difficult to try to meet the same standards we had met for years.

Despite the need to focus heavily on digital, I think a nationwide Sunday Post print edition would sell well.

not so many opportunities

I have been working at The Washington Post

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible, gym is available in the building

Cons

Advance career opportunities are limited. Company does not make me feel that the employees are valuable.

Overall, a pretty good experience.

Former Employee - National Account Executive
    Former Employee - National Account Executive

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Pros: Decent Middle management, working for a World Class Brand and excellent sales support. Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture.

Cons

Cons: Lacking in the technology and Programmatic department, slow on the uptake and staying relevant/competitive in the marketplace. Salaries are not very competitive and opportunities for growth are non-existent. Lack of Brand Identity: too Washington DC focused and not enough of a national New site focus.

Great job on the re-org, more focus needs to be on bringing up the top performers and getting rid of the dead weight. Need to Re-energize company values and company culture.

Reporter for Washington-Post Station

Current Employee - Talent
    Current Employee - Talent

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

It is an independent station so the news was hyper-local which is great at a time when news stations must compete with the internet for eyeballs. The weather is lovely and most of the employees are easy to get along with.

Cons

I found it difficult to get promoted, the hours were absolutely grueling and the moral pretty low, though that captures the sentiment of the entire community.

Greater compensation and room for upward mobility. It seems like promotions were harder for African-American employees.

National Account Manager

I have been working at The Washington Post

Pros

Great people and good environment.

Cons

Innovation and research and developement

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!