The Washington Post

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
3.7

The Washington Post CEO & Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance and good overall culture (in 5 reviews)

• Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not very likely to get a raise or bonus unless you are a sales rep or upper management and some departments are short staffed (in 8 reviews)

• The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Outdated technology and day-to-day processes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary, location, metro-accessible, health benefits and compensation package, overtime, amount of vacation and sick days available and the largest and most-recognized print news source in the Washington, DC area

Cons

Upper management and managers are clueless when making decisions, old technology, sales goals are not realistic, trying to hold on to a dying print-based industry, no tuition reimbursement and boring

You can't get blood out of a turnip.

Just awful...

Current Employee - Web Producer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Web Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason to work here is to get the name "Washington Post" on your resume

Cons

The turnover was insane when I was here. I started in May 2006, by August I was the most senior person on my team (there were only two people left on the entire team!). Everyone left cause my boss was horrible. He was quickly demoted then fired for being so awful and to this day I struggle to provide potential employers with the contact information for a supervisor from the Post since it was such a mess.

I worked the night shift, and the day shift supervisor became our interim manager, but she didn't work at night and she wound up quitting a few months later. Then we had a series of day-shift people alternate taking the helms a few nights a week, and they weren't very happy about it.

It was ridiculous, I had been here only a few months and was pretty much on my own deciding what to feature on the HOMEPAGE seen by thousands (millions?) of people. On Saturday nights when I tried to call people with questions they were typically out drinking; on weeknights they were in bed and angry that I woke them up.

I constantly requested a move to the day shift due to health issues (and that the night team was such a horrible place, I'll get to that more later) and applied for more than a dozen day-shift positions, but every time I was told "But you're so good on the night team! We NEED you there!" That's a great way to treat your employees, punish them for doing a good job. One time they gave a day-side position that I applied for to an intern and I was told it was because she had never worked the night shift and I was so good at it. Yes I took the job knowing I'd have to work nights, but I was also lied to in my interview. My boss said I'd have either Friday or Saturday nights off. I wound up with Mondays and Tuesdays off. How can I meet people or see my out-of-town friends and family working every weekend?!

They could not care less that I had a note from my doctor about how the night shift was causing me all these problems. The HR department was a joke.

Working for the Web site and on the night team was a double blow in terms of lack of appreciation. The people at the newspaper considered everyone at the website to just be button-pushers (not real journalists) and the day-side people treated us like seat-fillers, just keeping their chairs warm while they were in bed or out partying. If we ever made any kind of editorial decision overnight (which we had to do since we had no supervisors and no one wanted us calling them in the middle of the night!), then we were greeted with very mean, insulting e-mails the next morning reminding us that we aren't important enough to make such decisions. Because we rarely saw these people in person, they had no problem treating us so badly, especially the paper people, we were just voices on the other end of the phone to them.

Working at the Post made me a bitter, negative person. It was such a toxic environment and it's taken years for me to shed that bitterness in my inner-office communications. I just got into such a habit of receiving and writing mean e-mails during my two and a half years there. I would never EVER work there again and would never recommend the Post to anyone.

Don't punish someone for a job well done. If you need a person to work in a position they really don't want to then reward them for a job well done by promoting them or giving them a bonus. And teach everyone to respect one another, promote a positive work environment. And value your employees who aren't in upper management, they work really hard and deserve better.

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice Colleagues
    Work from home option
    DC Downtown
    Latest Technology

Cons

Boring environment
    No onsite cafeteria
    No Coffee

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top Heavy Company, Keep your manager happy

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Decent pay for the region

Cons

Bad Commute if not living in DC

Please connect with your team

Great people, great culture!

I have been working at The Washington Post

Pros

The people at the Post are great to work with! Additionally, the firm is exploring new ventures and is working to advance the synergy of its digital and print products.

Cons

At the same time, the increasing use of tablets and other print substitutes have put a lot of pressure on the firm.

Absolutely zero leadership

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that do the actual work are great people. The tech side of the house is actually filled with very intelligent people.

Cons

Leadership is astoundingly bad. There's 0 vision for the company, other than trying to maintain what's left of print circulation. Projects are started and killed a year later despite success. There's no rhyme or reason to anything.

Watch massive layoffs to hit the operating income (100's of people), and then the publisher will take a $3million bonus for hitting the target.

The industry is only getting worse, and there are absolutely zero plans in progress to address the downward spiral.

At this point Don is treating the company like a charity, not a business.

Invest in your growth sectors, fire every single one of your executives, cut the middle management, and produce better content. You need ONE person with vision and some people to execute. You currently have around 40 "leaders" with no vision at all.

Developer

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn, good work environment

Cons

downtown parking expensive, depend on public transportation

Myopic organization run like a chaotic family business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

nothing..This organization is a joke for any self respecting ambitious professional

Cons

Run away from this. No direction or vision. The executives have no idea what does digital/ mobile world means. Very incompetent and unethical company. I am surprised how it has still been part of Berkshire portfolio. This business should not be in existence since it does more harm than good to the society. Content is produced by third grade editorial team that has no respect for what user wants in the current times.

Stop cooking books for making year end bonuses. Face reality. Print is dying. Adapt to mobile/digital world, way other businesses did.

Kaplan University, a Washington Post Company

Current Employee - Sales  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, education package and personal development.

Cons

Company is contracting in an effort to find good sales strategy in the face of government scrutiny. Must be top producer with verbal talent to survive in the sales division of the company. Slackers need not apply because you will get three strikes and your out. There are performance expectation for each term and if you miss three you are terminated.

Be more honest in your conversations about expectations. People seem to believe there can be reprieve from termination is goal expectations are not met by intervention of management and that is not the case.

The dazzling place to work is not so much dazzling inside.

Former Employee - Lead Developer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Competitive salaries.
    -Excellent benefits,one of the best Health Insurance plans.
    -Brand Name(at least in Wash,DC Metro Area) -- once you have this name on your resume be assured no one will look down on you,be it for contracting or full time opportunities.

Cons

**I work in IT and I have seen Newsroom very very closely.I have informed opinion about both**

Lets be honest,newspaper industry is going through a tough phase.Now if you are in Newspaper industry you have to absorb the shocks which are coming from upper management,knee jerk reactions,and witness lot of bloodbath in terms of employees getting laid etc.Bottom line, you are at the mercy of new CIO,your manager,and the budget.Performance doesn't matter.

When the time was good(till 2010ish),IT was treated as a step child and people(publishers etc.) were happy making money from Print.The decline was there but not that alarming.Now when a notable decline came in 2010ish everyone panicked. McKinsey etc. were called and they suggested hey,you know what this is digital age...duh..The wake up call turned into hiring of new CIO and his nickel and dimming.Coffee machines were removed and replaced with vending machines.Employees were laid off by calling them "inefficiencies".No lunches,no Happy hours.Compensation took a severe hit,and growth opportunities were never there.Oh and there is no place for training and company paying for learning new tech.So,now IT is like a code generating machine,which WPO wants to use it 24*7 for making money and it's survival.Post being a gandalf has old employees who worked on Unix all their lives.I call them worthless boulders bcz they just dont want to leave or learn.Journalists work all their lives in print and doing typesetting etc., so for them digital CMS system is a blackbox.They dont want to learn it and keep making mistakes bcz of not getting proper training.FF today,Post is making a desperate attempt to expand it's digital platform(results can be seen by the products launched in 2012) and investing in Mobile technologies.To call situation at Post pressure cooker is an understatement.Work-Life balance is missing since at least past 1.5 years.No one job is secure.All in all,if you want to join this company expect nothing but your paycheck.No you can't have weekends.Period.

Tell yourself that you are here just to have that brand name on your resume so that you can find a better life elsewhere with normal work schedules and not feel treated like garbage.

None.As if they listen to us -:)

The Washington Post Photos

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!