The Weinstein Company LLC

Bob Weinstein

Intern Experience

Current Employee - Production/Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production/Development in New York, NY

I have been working at The Weinstein Company LLC as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

You are taught how to write coverage (a necessary skill in entertainment) and given other opportunities like some executive assistant duties if you are lucky. Great networking experience and opportunity to understand entertainment production/development atmosphere.

Cons

They do not push you. You need to be self motivated and hard working. I was initially assigned to come in two days a week, but because of my drive and had work I asked and pushed to come in 5 days a week and they were more than happy to allow me to do so and give me more work.

Also importantly they usually don't higher from intern pool.

Interns are sometimes highly capable and hard working, when you find one like that (me) allow the opportunity to learn more and take on more responsibility.

Intern/Temp

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment lead to opportunities to shine when tasks were completed on time and with ease.

Cons

never speak poorly about previous employers.

Communication was good, but there is always room for improvement.

Love the company. Hate the higher-ups.

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some amazing people who work for TWC -- it's very Devil Wears Prada. If you can last a year at Weinstein, you can make it ANYWHERE.

The work itself is very rewarding. You get huge opportunities to work with talent, give your input, and carry out your ideas.

Cons

The higher ups. Some of the higher ups here are extremely volatile (to put it mildly). One particular HU was out to sabotage anyone who stood in his way and made him look bad (if you yourself looked good to anyone else).

Get better higher ups.

Land of Imaginary titles

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC full-time

Pros

Privacy is nonexistent in this tiny dark probably molded office. You hear every call& order and if not in close rage there is always someone willing to share a dial-in to a call you have no business on.

In other words you see and hear everything. You can easily get a full grasp of how things work... Although the methods are so outdated and mediocre that you won't really find them useful.

Cons

Extremely traditional. Everything is outsourced through vendors ... Lack of communication & creativity - too much Instant messaging. Not a hint of work/life balance.

Don't let the "success" stories fool you. Anyone who is here too long either got lucky with opportunity or has an undeniable fear of change. Get in, get what you can, get out.

Great if you work independently, bad if you have to involve management

Current Employee - Manager/Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager/Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Weinstein Company LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks great on resume. Ability to make yourself stand out and chutzpah is rewarded.

Cons

Good luck getting anything done through normal channels. Management is slow moving, lethargic. Talent is not always properly supported so all the good ones move on.

Invest in your employees. Work towards long term solvency, not just the quick buck.

Good place to intern

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC

Pros

- Most employees are nice and helpful, despite the opposite attitudes of some of the very high ups
    - Fun to be a part of the movies TWC puts out
    - If you ask, you might be able to take on different, more interesting responsibilities

Cons

- Sometimes can be stressful in the presence of Harvey or Bob; some employees with (jokingly or otherwise) tell you to avoid eye contact

diversity

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC

Pros

A little progress might help.

Cons

More should be done. It is so white and so tribal.

Why should we watch your product if your cast and crew is not diverse? I don't seem to think the office is either.

Not as bad as I thought it would be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Weinstein Company LLC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are more respectful to interns than rumored. The is a lot of diversity. Everyone works extremely hard and most people are kind.

Cons

A ping pong table is the shared workspace for interns... they can do better. Expect to be asked to run errands for any employee who needs it.

If the boss is angry the entire office walks on eggshells and even interns feel the tension and backlash. It's awkward.

Great for those who have internal structure, not so much for those who get easily frazzled

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Weinstein Company LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company can be great when you're in the right place at the right time. Once you're rolling, you can make your way up very quickly.

The ability to work on amazing films and see and carry out your campaigns.

Freedom to conceptualize campaigns and flesh them out.

Cons

intense work environment, can be toxic

no training whatsoever

you must be willing to put the time and effort to up morale. In a fast changing environment like this, there must be some structure.

A constant rollercoaster of highs and lows with some room for growth but not much mentorship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Weinstein Company LLC

Pros

Place is extremely free of bureaucracy and red-tape and can allow your duties to grow based on ambition.

Cons

Lack of solid structure, disorganization, disrespect from management, 24/7 work expectations.

Hire an exec dedicated strictly to internal operations and policy.