The Weitz Company LLC Reviews

The Weitz Company LLC Chairman & CEO Leonard Martling
Leonard Martling

1. Project Superintendent

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Teamwork, large scale projects, multiple locations country wide

Cons

Some long hours and corporate politics

2. Great Company

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Great people that act more as family than fellow. Does not have the "corporate" feel. Good benefits. Would recommend.

Cons

There are not many cons I can think of other than Iowa is really really cold in the winter time.

3. Good Construction Company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Management is very interested in our success.Good Construction Company to work for. They give everyone what they need to be successful. I would recommend.

Cons

Nothing much to report here. They have treated me in a positive way and have all my colleagues as well.

5. Good company to work for prior to being purchased by Orascom.

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Worked with some great people at the front-line supervisory level.

Cons

Lack of clear vision by upper level management. Repeating past mistakes of filling the office with project managers, engineers, administrators while leaving their front line supervision to sit at home without work. Very political with regard to promotion. Saw a lot of incompetent, unethical and unsafe supervisors promoted due to the "good ole boy" system.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable. Don't just give lip service to safety, staff development, work/life balance. Trim the fat in the office to reduce the overhead that precludes you from being competitive.

6. Great, well rounded company

Current Employee - Project Engineer I in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer I in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Construction is inherently a rough career as far as hours go, but everyone really tries to balance it out. Some really great employees work here, which makes learning new things easy! Glad to join a Billion dollar nationally ranked construction company!

Great growth opportunities as well as compensation!

Cons

The most cons your would think of from construction, long hours, stressful work, etc. But this has nothing to do with the company, only the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your individual branches for how to keep moving the company in the right directions. There are some great changes coming through, but don't stop improving and staying on the forefront of the industry.

Good Company, in a sticky situation

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits program, relatively small corporation, so it has a family feel. I have met some great people since I've been with the company, at least on the construction side.

Cons

Since TWCs acquisition, it has been struggling to say the least. The OCI/TWC interface has been taking its toll, and construction is sluggish, and poorly orchestrated. TWC's flagship industrial project was started on bad foundation, and the company is suffering because of it.

Advice to Management

If your industrial segment survives, more experienced PMs and field workers are crucial. Trim the fat on the processes, not on nickel and diming on workforce.

8. Company sold out to Orescom and have no management clout in order to properly execute any projects in heavy industrial

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Work for the Commercial business line .if they are still around in 2-3 years as OCI will break this company up and sell tt off

Cons

Never work for the Light/Heavy industrial business line. Management does not have any idea how to execute heavy industrial and are at the mercy of OCI to make any decisions

Advice to Management

Sell your shares before OCI divides your company and sells it off.

9. Good

Former Employee - Project Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice moral and people

Cons

nothing comes to mind really

10. Great people, not enough advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best I have ever worked with. Management was above average. The benefit package was above average as well but I've seen better.

Cons

Compensation was below average in my opinion. Hard to advance. Not a lot of opportunity.

Advice to Management

The people you have working for you is what makes this company strong. Treat them well.

Oh How Things Have changed

Current Employee - Senior Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

160+ year old company. (Had) a great reputation in the Phx. market. Treated their subcontractors very well. Still a lot of good people at the company. Bonus pay (when they give them) is great. Employee stock program is great if you got in 15 years ago. (Stock has dropped over $100 dollars in the past 2 years.) They have done some great projects in Phoenix. Top Senior Living GC in the country. Great resume of office and retail projects.

Cons

Phoenix office has had 12+ rounds of layoffs in the last 3 years and more to come if things don't get any better. Can't get work due to major lack of diversification. (Had all their "eggs" in the private market.) Ex Employee stock obligations is killing their bottom line. They are having major financial issues and now things are all about overhead costs and keeping it down. Have had a lot of great employee's leave or get laid off in the past 6-8 months. No work so hard bidding anything they can get their hands on.

Advice to Management

They need to come up with a plan and execute it. . The plan was to come out over 12 moths ago. We're still waiting.......... Weitz is is serious trouble now due to the lack of vision out of "corporate".

RSS Feed </> Embed