The Weitz Company LLC

Leonard Martling

Good

Former Employee - Project Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice moral and people

Cons

nothing comes to mind really

Good Company, in a sticky situation

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits program, relatively small corporation, so it has a family feel. I have met some great people since I've been with the company, at least on the construction side.

Cons

Since TWCs acquisition, it has been struggling to say the least. The OCI/TWC interface has been taking its toll, and construction is sluggish, and poorly orchestrated. TWC's flagship industrial project was started on bad foundation, and the company is suffering because of it.

If your industrial segment survives, more experienced PMs and field workers are crucial. Trim the fat on the processes, not on nickel and diming on workforce.

Company sold out to Orescom and have no management clout in order to properly execute any projects in heavy industrial

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Work for the Commercial business line .if they are still around in 2-3 years as OCI will break this company up and sell tt off

Cons

Never work for the Light/Heavy industrial business line. Management does not have any idea how to execute heavy industrial and are at the mercy of OCI to make any decisions

Sell your shares before OCI divides your company and sells it off.

Alright as a experience starter but not a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are what makes working at Weitz tolerable. Everybody is friendly.

Cons

Severely below average compensation unless you are a project manager, manager, or executive. Managers of the department are not familiar with what you are doing and take credit when you are done. Management claims to want to do internal promotions but fail to deliver on that front.

Pay your employees average to slow the high turnover. Practice what you claim in terms of training, bonuses, and promotions rather than just using it as a talking point and not following through.

Great people, not enough advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best I have ever worked with. Management was above average. The benefit package was above average as well but I've seen better.

Cons

Compensation was below average in my opinion. Hard to advance. Not a lot of opportunity.

The people you have working for you is what makes this company strong. Treat them well.

Oh How Things Have changed

Current Employee - Senior Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

160+ year old company. (Had) a great reputation in the Phx. market. Treated their subcontractors very well. Still a lot of good people at the company. Bonus pay (when they give them) is great. Employee stock program is great if you got in 15 years ago. (Stock has dropped over $100 dollars in the past 2 years.) They have done some great projects in Phoenix. Top Senior Living GC in the country. Great resume of office and retail projects.

Cons

Phoenix office has had 12+ rounds of layoffs in the last 3 years and more to come if things don't get any better. Can't get work due to major lack of diversification. (Had all their "eggs" in the private market.) Ex Employee stock obligations is killing their bottom line. They are having major financial issues and now things are all about overhead costs and keeping it down. Have had a lot of great employee's leave or get laid off in the past 6-8 months. No work so hard bidding anything they can get their hands on.

They need to come up with a plan and execute it. . The plan was to come out over 12 moths ago. We're still waiting.......... Weitz is is serious trouble now due to the lack of vision out of "corporate".

Great company going away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When I started with Weitz it was a very family oriented company. Great company culture, great projects, I took pride in working there and what I was doing. Company was built upon its ability to retain customers because of their performance and the relationships that Weitz was ablet to build with customers. Strong History...160+ years in the construction industry.

Cons

Compensation wasn't up to par with competitors.......Office I was in was very "cliqu-ish" and the management wasn't basing personell decisions on performance but on who they are buddies with. Decisions that have been made, and in some circumstances, not made, have caused the company to be on the declining path that it is on. Very sad to see.

Hold people accountable for their actions and performance....too much lip service.....Always talked about holding people accountable but no one ever was. Stop the lip service and do something...make a decision...hold people accountable for non-performance and financial loss.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Estimator I in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Estimator I in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

Good family/work life balance, respectful professional co-workers, team attitude.

Cons

Industry not doing so well currently, lot of recent layoffs

No advice.

Good Place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

The Weitz Company is a good place to work with competent coworkers who work together. Employees are allowed to be flexible in their work methods and work day as long as goals are met. Company culture is a mix between a company with independent metropolitan offices and a unified national company. Employees work beyond their traditional roles to help each other and help win new projects.

Cons

Current push to change company culture is difficult while downsizing staff.
    Efforts to “centralize” some departments have resulted in poor internal costumer service.

Be selective about which initiatives to push forward and follow through on those selected.

Decent Pay but you better have a thick skin

Former Employee - Construction/Operator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Construction/Operator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Weitz Company LLC

Pros

the pay isnt too bad to start, the schedule is usually monday through friday, most weekends off, good benefits after 90 days

Cons

no raises ever, even after years of loyal service with very satisfactory performance appraisals, i was there for 3 years, never got a raise nor did anyone I know there

It may seem that a "Revolving Door" policy is cost effective as you always have new people at a low pay scale but It's my opinion that retaining long term employees who know what they are doing by providing annual cost of living raises to satisfactory employees will cost less in the long run.