The World Bank

The World Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

The World Bank President Jim Yong Kim

Jim Yong Kim

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is great, together with the benefits and people"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The work environment differs greatly within the Bank"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "No benefits and little job security"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No job security as a consultant and you are forced to worry every few months about the next job"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wish I had not wasted all these years...

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood experience to place on resume

ConsExpected to work very long hours, permanent staff rely on consultants and temps to do their work and then will take credit for it, a lot of very unprofessional and arrogant staff at all levels, hard to trust your colleagues, fearful and passive/aggressive work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize the Bank drastically -- it is long overdue. I hope Dr. Kim has what it takes to dismantle this corrupt and dangerous institution that only serves to benefit its staff and not the disadvantaged.

The place thats takes earnest young people and slowly turns them into cynical drones

Short-term Consultant (STC) (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at The World Bank as a contractor for more than a year

ProsReally multinational work atmosphere. Fantastic cafeteria.

ConsReally multinational ... Restricted upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer clear career trajectories

Dog eat dog world bank

Operations Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary, good vacation and benefits

ConsCompetitive, workaholic culture, perverse incentives for performance and un-transparent decision-making.

The Bank is stuck in the 1990s when it comes to technology.

IT Contractor (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank

ProsFlexible and family friendly.
Great location.
The cafeteria is out of this world. The gym is brand new.
A great place to work at if you are an economist or social scientist. Otherwise, stay clear.

ConsIf you are in IT, please do not join the bank. The pay is subpar, job security is nil. If you stay, prepare for a trip to the 1990s and lose all relevancy in the job market. You will be stuck at the World Bank, because nobody else will hire you with your irrelevant skills.
An extremely political environment, very resistant to change. A lot of arrogance. Prepare to be shouted at and ostracized, if you dare to speak up.

terrible culture, no meritocracy, poor management

*** Specialist, Africa (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank

Prostravel opportunities, interesting work, important mission

Conshorrific and outdated management practices, poor pay and no benefits for consultants, no HR strategy, rampant abuse (esp of women in the workplace - the World Bank is immune in US courts)

Not for long run

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank

Prosinternational experience, good exposure to poverty issues and also an understanding of why the world bank system does not work...

ConsMany of the professionals are low quality but too proud to see that....

Advice to Senior Managementyou can never reform the developing world without reforming yourself first...
too much delay in project formulation and project implementation
lack understanding of ground realities....the operational work for the world bank is policy tables in country capital...the real world is far far below in villages, about which the staff, sadly, lack understanding...

World Bank - You ain't going to make a difference in the world.

I worked at The World Bank

ProsGreat benefits and compensation for employees high up the corporate ladder.

ConsThe Bank does not want to appear too "progressive, recognizing real world issues" - A quote from my boss. Yes It is true that political issues, concerns are at the foreground of all work. Anyone thinking that he/she will make a difference in the world while working at the World Bank has a lot to learn about bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWB Senior Management needs to take a proactive stance and truly evaluate staff. Many become complacent, ineffective and self serving. Senior Management needs to stop scratching each others' back and realize that they could do good work if they stop all the "b.s."

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The World Bank full-time for more than a year

Prosgood number of holidays/time off

Consnot many opportunities for job advancement

Don't join unless you are a political animal

I worked at The World Bank for more than 5 years

ProsYou feel you're a part of a greater mission and making a difference in the world. You feel proud to work with so many MBAs and PhDs. Salary and benefits used to be very competitive. Recent changes were for worse but they're still good.

ConsHR is pre-historical and does not practice what they preach. As a general, appointments are biased by relations and hidden agendas, with managers manipulating normal recruiting processes to appoint preferred candidates. Very little opportunities to young staff, better join at a later point in the career, as it becomes stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency please. Don't burn out staff who disagree with you. There is intelligence and diverse perspectives/opinions.

Terrible

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are great to work with, friendly, committed to delivering a good outcome.. Senior management is another deal entirely ( see below)

ConsThere are literally 1000s of demoralized short term consultants working here. The classic 'dual labor' market theory applies here: insiders with long term contracts who dont do much work or are over extended in an organization that has been on a flat budget or budget cutting exercise while trying to increase lending activities to developing countries.The bulk of grunt work is farmed out to underpaid consultants, many whom do not get access to health care benefits.The result is poor quality control, no institutional memory and no accountability. For young people ( most consultants) trying to develop a career is almost impossible. Managers do little strategy development, very little human capital or staff development....

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the only way to get ahead is to network rather than ' work' the organization is doomed.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The World Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The World Bank CEO Jim Yong Kim. All 246 reviews posted anonymously by The World Bank employees.