The World Company Reviews

Dolph Simons, Jr.
1 Rating

Good company

I have been working at The World Company

Pros

there's lots of sales freedom

Cons

overlap of sales territories. newspaper biz might not be around very long...

clarify territories

Employee compensation and opportunities out of whack

Former Employee - Reporter  in  Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Reporter in Lawrence, KS

I worked at The World Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few benefits to working at this company. They're consistently in the red when it comes to operating revenue, and they're bloated with fat at the top.

Cons

Your best interest is never at heart with the management of this company. With a measly 30k a year salary, I was forbidden from looking at other companies to work for, despite the fact that my subsidiary company was on the "selling block."

Where dreams go to die. Where you're never good enough.

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Photographer in Lawrence, KS

I worked at The World Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You got a paycheck every two weeks. Don't expect top have your efforts appreciated beyond that. Also, don't expect their standard of excellence to be nearly as high as your own.

Cons

No upward mobility and the management is clueless. As a family owned newspaper, the owner runs his own insipid column on Saturdays which employees are regularly harassed about while on assignment.

Get into the 21st Century. Treat people the way you want to be treated. They always assume that you don't have any idea what your're doing and declare you persona not grata if you leave and work for a competitor instead of just wishing you well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Lawrence Journal-World, enter at your own risk...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I worked at The World Company

Pros

The rank and file employees are wonderful. Lawrence is a great place to live and the people are friendly and community oriented.

Cons

Horrible working environment. Management has a tendency to churn often. They have removed, fired and run-off many of their best employees and replace with cheaper labor which is typical of the newspaper industry right now. Age discrimination is the status quo.

Why would I even pretend to advise people who seem to know it all?

Family owned newspaper with a great web site

I have been working at The World Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This family owned business is supportive of their employees. Many people work here for years, for life even. Many others graduated to go on to do other great things. They aren't afraid to innovate, which is important if you are going to survive as a newspaper business. This is the company that initially produced Django, and Ellington CMS. They win a lot of awards and are passionate about publishing. Lawrence, KS is a great place to live and work.

Cons

They sold off their cable company, their television stations. Now they are shutting down their software development and website hosting business. I have no idea where they are going now. I don't see how you survive as a traditional newspaper. I'm not sure upper management realized what they had with their software development and newspaper hosting devision and they didn't know how to let go and give their hosting venture the freedom it needed to succeed. They dreamed big, made big projects, then abandoned them when they did poorer than they had hoped. They may rise again but it's not guaranteed.

Read The Lean Startup. If you try again, do it with faster release cycles, smaller changes, better feedback, and be ready to pivot. The journey will help you find the destination. Find a visionary who understands this, give them a budget and the reins, then get out of their way.

Worked for The World Company? Contribute to the Community!