The Wunderman Network Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
148 reviews filtered by

An agency that has lost its way

I worked at The Wunderman Network full-time

Pros

Nice location. Some very talented people with a few good brands to work on.

Cons

Politics abound -- the network isn't sure what it wants to be. So many acquisitions and brands with separate P&Ls have left the NY office with little to justify its existence. Complete lack of management continuity.

Overall great working experience, salaries are on the low end and if you receive a promotion, don't expect a raise.

I have been working at The Wunderman Network

Pros

Great people, great company culture, really fun and creative environment, good career paths available for those who are able to self-manage.

Cons

Low salary base and when I received my promotion I did not receive a raise. The company seems to be able to spend a lot of money on company functions and small perks (like endless coffee, milk, cereal, chips supply) but is always on a "raise freeze". There is not a lot of mentorship offered by management. I felt most of the emphasis was placed on client-focused and creative output initiatives.

Advice to Management

More Management should advocate for raises for their hardworking employees, especially those that receive promotions. What's a promotion without a raise? Basically just a different job title with more responsibility. Also, better attention to employee/team well-being should be paid and people in leadership roles should take more interest in being a good leader.

Create action

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Wunderman Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with clients that push you to your limits and force you to think and prioritize. The team of people in the office are highly creative and gifted thinkers.

Cons

It's a mess, no one is willing to step up and take responsibility. No one manages client relationships, expectations are out of whack, and business development doesn't exist. The action being created is wheels spinning faster and faster. Smart people are leaving this place at an unsustainable pace and a lot of knowledge is lost. Management seems perfectly happy with the shrinking staff given the lack of revenues. The office is exclusively dependent on one giant retainer (hint: software company) and it's shrinking fast because leadership has let the relationship go stale. No new clients are coming in because Wunderman Seattle has a deserved reputation for being expensive and slow.

Advice to Management

Feel shame. The first step is admitting there's a problem, be open, honest and transparent about what's going on. The monthly Town Halls have become a joke since they focus on meaningless happy news and new snacks, while glossing over very obvious problems. Stop rewarding yourself with giant promotions when you tell the rest of us no raises and promotions are coming. To be honest the best thing you could do is resign and spend more time with your families because you've let the Wunderman Seattle family down.

5. Wunderman was a great company to intern for

Former Intern - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at The Wunderman Network as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, friendly environment. Location is amazingly convenient. Intern Program is very well done and I felt like I learned a significant amount about the advertising industry.

Cons

Direct marketing can get a little dry

6. I am not a writer...

Current Employee - Art Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at The Wunderman Network full-time

Pros

You get to become a part of the Wunderman legacy. It's well known and has one of the largest agency networks. Good work-life balance as well.

Cons

Like all agencies, times have changed.

Positive Interning Experience

Former Intern - Account Management Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Account Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The Wunderman Network as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The interns are given things to do and side projects with an actual client, whether or not this be used it is still a positive learning experience. There were lectures about Advertising by VPs and we got to meet the CEO, as well as Mr. Wunderman himself.
    The program itself is well run and rewarding.

Cons

Unfortunately the client project is not a "real" project and will not be used.
    Interns are not always given real work. Some of the people seemed to be there as a career stepping stone.

8. Good experience, but don't expect any spine from leadership

Former Employee - Interactive Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Wunderman Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent clients, great travel, good WPP network. You'll get access to the inner workings of client and agency, and see that there are a wide range of talent, from clueless to brilliant

Cons

Demanding and unstoppable workload, with nearly 24/7 on-call for global client. Shabby or misdirected leadership, with eyes only to sell sell sell, with no strategy to do better better better work. You'll be asked to do 125% - always.

Advice to Management

Hire more 20-30 yr old kids with no families as they are the only ones who could stand the hours and slack leadership.

It's a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Wunderman Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great -- everyone is nice and friendly and doesn't put up with arrogance or BS. We're all "in it together." Company also has a generous PTO calendar (and people are encouraged to use it), but that's off-set by lower salaries.

Cons

Salaries and promotions are dictated by a corporate office in London, and is based upon how the entire network is performing. So it's pretty difficult to work a 50 hour week on a regular basis and not get anything out of it (esp. when your industry peers are making far more). Morale is pretty low as a result and our attrition has been extremely high (it seems that anyone that's been here for two years is a "veteran").

Advice to Management

Figure out a better way to retain employees. There is a cost associated with losing so many good people to time and morale.

10. Pretty Great Place to Work

I have been working at The Wunderman Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with a few other agencies in other cities, and Wunderman by far is the best place I have worked. The people are awesome, the office is in a great location, alot of small perks. In the past I worked with much smaller agencies with smaller budgets, and not as exciting work.

Cons

I think fi you looked at lot of other companies right now, things are pretty good at Wunderman. You hear a few complaints about raises, promotions, etc. I know a lot of people who are still out of work, I am happy to have a job I really enjoy, working on challenging projects.

Sweatshop with no management to back you up

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Wunderman Network as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Learning experience
    Great team dynamic

Cons

You work more hours than one can handle for little pay.
    Management does not care about their team and does not mind throwing you under a bus.
    They pride themselves on creative work but with the timelines give its not even feasible.
    Timelines given to creative teams and development teams are not even realistic.
    The amount of project sets teams up for failure

Advice to Management

Start listening to those under you as we know how the process flows internally and externally.
    Go away with the egos.
    Be a little considerate to non management as we are the ones putting in the majority of hours to make things go smoothly.