The Zappos Family

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

ZCLT (Former Employee)

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

ProsZappos provides limitless growth & opportunity professionally, but the culture is life changing.

ConsThere are NO cons to working for Zappos.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing.

Fun place

ZCLT (Former Employee)

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

ProsFun place, great benefits, everyone is genuinely friendly to one another

Conssalary for ZCLT is a con

An upbeat group of people, with some of the same problems that any other company might have.

Customer Loyalty Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than a year

ProsZappos provides amazing benefits and free food, alleviating a lot of worry from the outside world. Inside the Zappos sphere, there is an amazing culture that pushes you to support your community and other people. There are charitable events and donation opportunities every month and emails sent to remind people about them. Working at Zappos, you feel like you are not only helping customers, but your community as well.

ConsYou do feel pressured to participate in culture, which can be hard if you are having personal issues. It can also be hard to move from one department to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would make the transfer of departments an easier transition/

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Yin and yang

CLT (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Zappos Family for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a ton of pros to working for Zappos that are already mentioned:
Great benefits
Long term friendships
Reasonably priced meals in the Bistro
Free soda and coffee
In my experience, and what isn't talked about is that in CLT, there are shift bids two to three times a year. By choosing your shift, you can choose a lead that best fits your personality. If you don't know anything about a particular lead, you can always ask. You will be much more successful if you're under a lead who understands you and how you work.
Drinking is NOT a requirement and I wish people would stop saying that.
I'm in my late 40s and I fit in with the culture just fine, as do the people in my dept in their 50s and 60s.

ConsFavoritism runs rampant in this company and it's hard to "fly under the radar" sometimes. While I don't always go bar-hopping with my co-workers, I do enjoy social events with them and have a lot of good memories.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassign of all the current senior-most people in CLT. Start over going all the way down to the supervisors and take a very close look at your current leads. I understand this is all supposed to be negated by holacracy but in CLT, we know better. Before Holacracy takes effect, send them back to the phones working the schedules we work. Perhaps there will be more empathy with employees and less "you're NOT a culture fit". Also, figure out the salary structure under Holacracy, please? No one likes uncertainty, particularly when it comes to supporting their families.
Finally, I would agree with the statements about Tony checking out and it's such a shame. Come back to us, Tony. Make Zappos ours again, something to be proud of. I miss it. And you.

Great Company, Not So Great Politics

Customer Loyalty (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time

ProsGreat company to work for, very employee centric...benefits are amazing, opportunities to move around departments is great.

ConsUpper management in the call center are blind to what team members really want or need. They see what they want to see. The Downtown campus is too huge and getting to and from here is hell on gas. There are no options for compensation based on COL increases nor performance. If you're content where you are, you never make more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to listen to your team members and your leads, people think there will be fallout if they say anything. Add raises into the mix for those who are satisfied at their positions and have no wish to move departments. It's not fair.

Socialization over Compensation

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros-The benefits package is excellent and provides great coverage for medical, dental, mental health, etc.
-The company places a lot of emphasis on their culture, so they try to keep the environment light and fun, hosting several employee and family-friendly events throughout the year
-Relaxed environment and dress code
-Most managers and fellow employes are open to feedback and communication
-There is opportunity to grow within a role, especially if a progression plan has already been put in place for that position
-Many people are able to switch departments with relative ease
-Free and cheap food, drinks, and snacks around the office
-Sometimes, they play music in the bathrooms
-Overall, it's a fun company to be part of if you're young and like to party and are okay with making less than the industry average. Good for building initial experience, but not a place to stay long term.
-There are a lot of competent, inspiring people at Zappos. These people aren't very likely to be your boss, or stick around for very long.
-There is a lot of incorporation with the Downtown Project. This is both a pro and a con.

Cons-The interview process is downright exhausting. I had one online interview, 2 phone interviews, and an 8 hour day on site that included a tour, 9 in-person interviews with individuals and small groups, and an interview lunch.
-There is some pressure to drink the Kool Aid and to be very extroverted and wacky. Sometimes this takes away from the importance of the work
-The new location downtown isn't very convenient or safe.
--Downtown Las Vegas still has a steady supply of homeless people and shady areas. I have had more than a few incidents with the "local inhabitants".
--Food options downtown are pricey, the Bistro options are limited, and there is a general lack of semi-healthy and affordable dining options within a 10-minute drive
-Compensation is poor, so there's a high turnover rate among some of the more competent employees
-Frivolous spending is high. The company spends a lot of money on happy hours, t-shirts, parties, and llamas. While it's great that they try to maintain that fun environment, many employees would be a lot happier with a holiday bonus or raise.
-Depending on which department you work in, management can either be too involved or completely hands-off. My experience was with a manager who was so hands-off that we'd sit next to each other all day and he wouldn't utter a word to me. Being new to the workforce, I needed leadership, training, communication, and a sense of progress. I got none of this.
-The shift to Holacracy, while an interesting idea, is incredibly experimental and most questions about the process are answered with, "we're still figuring that out."
-A unified vision among the departments (especially marketing) just simply isn't there
-There is a general lack of tech presence in the Las Vegas area, so local networking opportunities are limited and some people are stuck with Zappos because there are no alternatives.
-Las Vegas's cost of living is relatively low and commuting to Downtown is usually quick and traffic-free, especially compared to larger cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for great talent. Zappos has a serious talent retention issue, and it a lot of it is due to a lack of compensation. A lot (perhaps too much) focus is placed on having fun and being zany, but the party can't last forever.

Seasonal review

Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at The Zappos Family as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat perks; free healthy food options, endless coffee, and a great, supportive community of employees. I had a great lead who was very encouraging and very personable.

ConsSeveral full-time employees were blatantly open about their dislike of seasonal employees; they would judge us when we stood in line for coffee, or lunch, or would brush past us and say things like, "Ugh, seasonals..." The pay was decent. Also, one day, they had "free books" in the cafe; they were inspirational books, and each employee was allowed to take one. When I went with some other seasonal employees to get a book, the lady at the table snatched it from my hand and said, "Um, these are for full-time employees only." Zappos employees went around to the desks of other employees who had received one of these books and took them back, which was mortifying for them. To add injury to insult, there was a tour going through that day, on which several children were accompanying their parents. The children were allowed to have a book, and they were ripping the pages out. So, we, as seasonal employees, could not have a book to enjoy, but the children visiting could get one and destroy it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the seasonal employees with a bit more respect, and monitor your "carefully chosen" full-timers a bit more closely, because they definitely do NOT represent the best that Zappos has to offer.

sweat shop is fact

Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Prosbenefits were the only pros and the hiring process. They put so much into the process of hiring you, but not to keep you. It's not what it's hyped up to be!!!!!!

ConsIt is amazing that the company is surviving when there are always open positions and everyone wants to leave or has left. Everyone in Merchandising is overworked and underpaid- especially the 6pm side. And "management" (eventho it's kids who don't know what they are doing and how to manage people) keeps demanding more from their new workers. The on the job "training" was minimal and everyone worked over 12 hours a day with demands to accomplish more. They want you to like it so much that you will want to give your life to the company and so called "culture". It's not normal for a person to have to work often until midnight to get a job done. Upper management needs to look at keeping people really happy, and hiring more people to do the work and automating the routine tasks. There were alot of really unhappy people working in this sweat shop.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a hard look at the amount of work required and realistic number of people needed to get jobs done. Happy people are important.

steady decline

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for more than a year

Prosculture is genuine. health benefits are very good

Consdeepening ties with amzn, with no benefits yet obseved

Zappos: Not as happy as you think.

Customer Loyalty Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat health benefits and general corporate perks.

Cons-Compensation is a joke considering Zappos is a multi BILLION dollar company.
-A holiday bonus would have been great considering record sales. Even $50 for each employee would have been cheaper than the $25k+ Xmas tree/decor around HQ. Thanks for THAT slap in the face.
-Core value "embrace and drive change"? More like "no complaining allowed or you're not a "culture fit" (if you're not a culture fit, you get fired).
-Core value "pursue growth and learning" aka "if you don't party or you're not secretly my bff, you're not getting that promotion".
-Management, specifically in the call center, is laughable. Management? More like, expert brown nosers. Some of these people are pretty bottom of the food chain. They must have coughed up a bunch of pictures of kittens or something else equally as stupid and ridiculous for their boss to get where they are now. Not to mention the embarrassing and appalling behavior these people in management portray at company events.
-Recruiters have to get a clue. Not sure if there's some sort of "hiring people from out of state" quota, but NEWS FLASH, PEOPLE: There are plenty of really great genuinely nice/funny people right here in your very own city. Maybe you should quit turning people down based on some call center managements opinion. If you actually worked with these call center managers, you'd understand why their opinion may not be the smartest.
-Like any job, there are politics. However, I don't think I've ever dealt with this many politics in the history of me working (that's a really long time, by the way).
-Pretending to be happy all the time to avoid being "coached" (disciplinary) or being fired can be VERY exhausting.
-Lot of other cons that I cannot think of right now.

Advice to Senior Management-Some of us may not be the prettiest of people, but we're still people and we can still execute a goal. Please stop promoting people based on looks or how good they are at kissing your butt/partying. Please focus on merit! I understand not all upper management does this, but this is something that is happening frequently within the call center and it must be stopped.
-You have several trans people working for your company. Why not allow them to identify as whatever gender they would like to identify as in your internal employee pages?

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!

The Zappos Family Videos

The Zappos Family – Why Work for Us?

Why join us? In January 2012, Zappos.com, Inc. and its subsidiaries were named #11 on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Find out why: http://www.Fortune.com/BestCompanies. And . . . we’re hiring like crazy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Zappos Family reviews and ratings in Las Vegas, NV — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by The Zappos Family employees.