The Zappos Family Reviews in Las Vegas, NV

Updated September 29, 2014
3.8

The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • They shut you up with free alcohol, the benefits and free food (when its fresh) (in 28 reviews)

• Fun place, great benefits, everyone is genuinely friendly to one another (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 11 reviews)

• The work environment made it sometimes difficult to focus (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My experience with Zappos very much exceeded my expectations. As an Intern, I expected to do some grunt work but I truly was exposed to real tasks full-time employees face on a daily basis. My team was incredibly supportive and open to help/answer any questions I had. I formed a great bond with many of the employees and walked away not only gaining lots of field-related knowledge, but also new friends as well. Thanks for the awesome summer Zappos!

Cons

I am head over heels for the company however if it was located in another city I probably wouldn't complain.

I truly liked management from my direct supervisor to our department manager. I think Zappos does a great job in hiring people who have similar mindsets which, of course helps to create a better atmosphere.

An awesome place to be!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

This place has a very positive work environment. Everyone in the company, and I mean, EVERYONE; is approachable. The Tech is an awesome division to be a part of. An environment where you are pushed to do better and where innovation is welcomed with open arms, and hence progression too is pretty fast. The benefits the company offers are out of the roof. Work hard, party hard is the motto of the company. Once you are here, it will be difficult for you to adjust in any place else.

Cons

Sometimes the party hard part can be a bit distracting. But I suppose that's negligible considering the positive energy to work going on around you.

A Family Away From Family!

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant III  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant III in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your co-workers really do become like a second family. The people are all extremely genuine and coming to work everyday does not feel like you are coming to a job. There are so many great opportunities to grow your skill sets and learn new things that you would never imagine doing. There are also many opportunities to get involved within the company which lets you interact with other departments and people you otherwise wouldn't.

Cons

There are a lot of social events and "extra" work activities. You have to take charge of this if you want to maintain a good work/life balance or else you will end up being with co-workers 24/7.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm optimistic!

Current Employee - CLT  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment is more free and friendly. The company prides its self on the core values and you feel it as you walk the halls of the campus.

Cons

Although, holacracy is has been introduced, bureaucracy is still in effect. The full transition should be very informative.

Look into the pay structure. The pay should be compatible to the work. Some departments make more but don't drive the business as much as others. A slight increase would be very effective in CLT.

Chaos with a lot of potential

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zappos has a great history and a promising future. Because of the companies current position there is an opportunity to play a meaningful role in creating the future of Zappos. There are a lot of energized and awesome people who are passionate.

Cons

Zappos is a company more interested in fads and buzzwords than in making real change to the organization. The culture of the tech org is very lax and low performing. It's not a place where stuff gets done. Many good people are joining, but many more good people are leaving - which results in a concentration of entitled people who aren't striving for anything.

Focus the business, drop the miscellaneous products and narrow the assortment. Realize the value of opinions and expertise of people who haven't spent 10+ years inside and whose experience only comes from Zappos.
    Stop trying to solve the problems at the wrong end and address the issue of buying too much of the wrong stuff. No matter what's done after that, if the warehouse is full of stuff people don't want it's not going to make a profit.

You get out of something what you put in...

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A Strong culture is in place, with actionable Core Values; lots of growth opportunities; a lot of autonomy in your job; room for creativity; relationship building is encouraged, and you'll likely have a good circle of real friends you've made at work (great if you are relocating)

Cons

Rapid growth means that not everyone understands some of the facets of our history and culture; communication is tough with new campus; there is tension around attitudes of entitlement and real feedback-- there is a difference, but sometimes feedback is not always received; it is a lifestyle, so work-life balance has a different definition here (if you are a 9-5er, this is not the place for you)

Don't feel like you have to sugarcoat everything or spoon feed information. Hold us to a higher standard when it comes to sustaining our culture. Remind people that #2 and #3 are not our only core values.

Zappos will change your life!

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Zappos family culture is incredible! It is a fun working environment, I love coming to work. The benefits are truly great, Zappos takes care of their employees. There is tons of training available for whoever wants it, so that you can advance in the company. They encourage open communication, they are implementing holacracy. After working at Zappos no other company comes even close to this amazing experience.

Cons

Compensation isn't what I was used to making, but I was willing to take a substantial pay cut to work for Zappos. They make up for it in SO many other ways!

N/A

Embrace & drive change

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

if you are unsure of where you fit in or what you should be doing, as long as you are willing to put in the work, this is a great place to explore that. This company values forward thinkers that are not afraid to take a chance and do work that is out of their safe/comfort zone. If you thrive on trying new things, this is the place for you.

Cons

sometimes the larger global changes, when they happen in multiples and back to back, it is hard to wrap your head around and embrace. Sometimes the attitude is hang on and just go with the flow, which doesn't encourage advocates

While I agree change is necessary to keep a company vital and moving forward, be a little more strategic in the roll out of change. It seems that change is a whim, like "oh, this seems interesting, let's try it" which just turns everyone's life upside down just to see if something will work. Practice what you preach "bullets before cannonballs" Also, stop making promises before you vet them out, ex. sabbatical.

The best place you could ever wish to work

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The culture is by far the biggest perk. It's a fun and casual work environment which allows you to enjoy doing your work!! Even though there are many perks and fun activities throughout the work day, every employee works very hard - it's very much a "play hard, work harder" type of atmosphere

Cons

Salaries/pay are lower than the industry average and Vegas isn't always the best place to relax.

Amazing culture and amazing job that helps push through the typical job pains

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that you work with here are amazing and your peers truly become family and an amazing resource to your personal and professional growth. The benefits are incredible providing a very comprehensive benefits package that requires no employee contribution for employee only benefits. The perks include but are not limited to 40% discount on all items available on Zappos.com, reimbursement for endurance events (5Ks, half marathons, etc.), cafeteria onsite with free food options, free soda, discounts on many local restaurants/hotels, budget dedicated to team buildings, on site gym facility, and the list goes on and on.

Cons

Do not be fooled... the politics and work/life balance issues exist here just like any other company. The pay is currently well below market in many positions but not all. Zappos believes in promoting many people within the organization which is a great strategy but leads to some shortcomings in management that need to be addressed. As mentioned in the title the culture definitely helps curb these issues and make coming to work enjoyable.

Focus on providing resources for managers to be successful. Eliminating that gap alone should help curb many downstream impacts to employment with this company.

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!