The Zappos Family Reviews

Reset
3.8
The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • We also got free food on the Call Center floor (and even alcohol once (in 30 reviews)

• Zappos definitely has great benefits, best I've ever had (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance can be tricky for those with school-aged kids (in 8 reviews)

• Las Vegas isn't the most fantastic city (in 12 reviews)

First Impressions of Zappos

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

This company has a diversity of intelligent, quirky and creative thinkers. The environment is friendly and welcoming. Average age of employees around 30-35. It is truly a great place to work because it hires many people who contribute to the culture, so you get many energetic, positive and innovative individuals working there. Benefits are good, once they kick in.

Cons

Starting salary for its Customer Loyalty Team members should go up and should account for education and experience.

2. It

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Great benefits. They pay higher positions well. They have to, since all their best talent walked out the door.

Cons

No structure, chaotic atmosphere. Everyone doing what they want. Currently, run by a bunch of children with no experience.

Advice to Management

Get a grip. Your top 20% of talent just walked out the door and a call center rep isn't going to be able to cut what a veteran with 10-25 yrs of experience can do. What a waste

3. Clt

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fun place to work

Cons

Doesn't pay enough
    No chance for advancement

5. Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, co-worker relationships that are strong inside and outside the office, flat management = anyone can contribute and not be held back.

Cons

Some employees have had a lack of experience in the outside corporate world, leading to immaturity when it comes to running a business. The move to flat management has also added more chaos. Hopefully it's temporary.

Advice to Management

continue to set a high bar for hiring, continue to look at compensation adjustments consistently.

Despite what they think, you need solid leadership to function

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

Benefits, casual work environment, freedom to be one's self.

Cons

Move to self organization is short sighted - trying to relieve pressure of managing off management but the conversation about who is LEADING the organization has never happened. Also, management is do as I say, not as I do. And they can't take feedback.

Advice to Management

Get humble, listen and value the opinions of employees. Get your hands dirty in the work they do.

7. Definitely not the average call center....

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

Culture! I haven't started yet but I feel that family vibe already! They pay 100% of your health and dental!!!

Cons

None yet lol and I hope I never see any.

Advice to Management

Keep being the exception!

Learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was great the first 4 years , great leader great benefits.

Cons

it has changed tremendously and not for the good at all.

Advice to Management

Good luck as there is no management

9. Best company to work for period!

Former Employee - CLT Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - CLT Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The amazing culture and incredible family atmosphere, just amazing people in every aspect of the company. The opportunity for career advancement and growth is plentiful and up to you once your employed. The absolute best place I have ever and probably will ever work.

Cons

There are really none that come to mind. In an effort to stay ahead of the curb and competition there will be change but I never viewed that a con or negative.

Advice to Management

None

The job is stressful, the turnover is high, and the company is only surviving on its once-great reputation.

Former Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee benefits are the only consistent redeeming aspect of this job. There are good people, but it takes time to figure out who is genuine.

Cons

The interaction of the Core Values creates a hypocritical company culture that encourages people to speak their minds, but then punishes them if their words aren't positive, regardless of truth.

Employees are in constant fear of losing their jobs for saying or doing something that proves to management that they aren't a "culture fit". There are too many stories of people being called to a meeting and never coming back.

People are fired for giving their honest opinions just because they are perceived as "negative", and then upper management wonders why nobody wants to bring up problems when they have the "opportunity to be honest".

Everybody is part of the family until they aren't. Once somebody leaves the company, their name is rarely spoken again, and never in front of management. It's like being part of a family that doesn't give its relatives funerals when they die, and instead, one person buries them in the backyard and never speaks of it again.

You are lured in by the promise of promotion opportunities, but every policy is designed to keep employees on the phones teams for as long as possible.

Advice to Management

When you build a company culture around the assumption that employees should enjoy a fundamentally unenjoyable job (customer service), you only end up hiring two kinds of employees: (1) ones that are skilled at acting, lying, and personal politics; or (2) ones that are too good-natured and trusting to realize they are being manipulated and lied to. The second type of employee doesn't last long after they become disillusioned.

Acknowledge and accept the negative aspects that are inherent in the job instead of pretending like they don't exist and firing anybody who publicly disagrees.

Customer Loyalty Team

Current Employee - New Hire In Training in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - New Hire In Training in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything! The employees are very friendly, respectful of each other, and always ready to help and lend a hand. Benefits! Wow! Service internally and externally is outstanding! The company has a higher purpose and I'm proud to be apart of this FAMILY! Employee Empowerment! Very relaxing and all about making our customers and each other HAPPY! Love the company events and again, so much more.

Cons

Honestly nothing! Seriously! You have to come take a tour for yourself. Please do and see everyone in action.

Advice to Management

The company no longer has management, and we are encouraged to service our customers and make them happy! We are encouraged to be Creative with a little Weirdness! Think out the box! Read the book Reinventing Organizations and Delivering Happiness and you will understand Zappos.com an awesome company to work for.

RSS Feed </> Embed