The Zappos Family

Updated January 27, 2015
3.8

The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • We also got free food on the Call Center floor (and even alcohol once (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits, good food and you gotta love the 40% off Zappos discount (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • the politics and work/life balance issues exist here just like any other company (in 8 reviews)

• Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Be

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

Training- thorough, fun, and worthwhile.
    Great benefits: free access Weight Watchers, amazing discounts, healthcare

Cons

Some things at Zappos may seem silly but drink the kool-aid and make the most of it

Couldn't Be Better

Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are great. Perks are great. The work is stimulating. It really is a dream career.

Cons

Maybe too much transparency.

Keep on keepin' on. Maybe promote a bit more from within.

Former employee

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

Met some wonderful people, medical benefits great

Cons

high school environment, very clique-ish, and low pay.

Parties and happy hour are not enough to make up for low pay and lack of upward mobility/promotion within the company

Working At Zappos Was Fun!...but....

Former Employee - Contractor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Contractor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was a really fun out of the box place to work. You are never going to work at a place like this ever in your life. Very unique. Free food, drinks & snacks. Dressed in jeans and tennis shoes everyday.

Cons

There is a lot of group think and clique type behavior. Not a place to go if you are seeking to climb the corporate ladder. And if you are anti-social or have a life then think twice before you work here as there is a lot of expectation to spend time with your co-workers outside of work at company events.

It depends on who your manager is but my advice would be don't take people for granted. Just because your in a leadership position doesn't mean your better than the people on your team. Give praise and appreciation often.

Fun place but extremely stressful

Current Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

Fun environment most of the time free food and a wonderful campus . It's a badge of honor to work here in Vegas

Cons

Some of the employees seem kind of fake and rude, I feel as if I'm in high school sometimes with the cliques.

Make sure your employees aren't discriminating against people whoa aren't "cool" but are good hard working people.

So-So. OK job if you're already in LV.

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

I joined Zappos and stayed at Zappos for 3 years because of the people. I used to say the best people work at Zappos. That is still somewhat true, but alot of our best talent (merchandising strategy, marketing, finance, tech, analytics) have left the company. Every month, I see someone say good-bye for another position (better title, less responsibility, work-life balance, more pay, recognition) in Vegas or elsewhere. Some weeks, there are three or four happy hours or good-bye parties. We are going through a Dip with no end in sight.

Zappos has great dental, medical, and vision coverage. Vacation, sick leave, maternity, and bereavement info is poorly handled/ communicated and can be very confusing. The cafeteria plan is slightly subsidized. There are plenty of activities and events. Some workers have the opportunity to work flex schedules. There is a gym onsite and free fitness classes are offered. There is decent job stability and security.

Cons

People are overworked and underappreciated. It will take you many years to progress to the next level and the pay bump is minimal. There is also no COLA adjustment each year. If your manager leaves the company, expect to carry double the workload without any pay increases. On average, positions take six months to a year to fill because the pay across all areas is low compared to industry standards and there is no relocation package! The new recruiting process is horrible! The process of getting a work visa can also be an absolute nightmare. Despite all this, Zappos is still a fairly good company to work for...if you're already in Vegas/a local/plan on living here for awhile. If you're thinking about moving here and you have kids, thoroughly research the school system.

Stop promising us things (compensation that meets industry standards, sabbatical after 7 years of service, etc.) and failing to deliver. "We're working on it" is a disheartening thing to hear year after year. You are un-WOWing your internal customers.

Good Company, Low Pay

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good work environment with a sense of family. You make some good friends there. A great place to work if you are in your early 20's

Cons

The pay is terrible and it is difficult to move up in the company. With holacracy there is no room to advance. Even if you receive a lead position for a circle, you receive more responsibility with no pay increase.

Create opportunities internally, especially for CLT. Pay your good people to want to stay. Culture and benefits only go so far.

Bullied, stolen from, harassed and cheated former employee.

Former Employee - Master of Wow in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Master of Wow in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you can have booze at your desk, but be careful- it may get stolen.

Cons

blatant sexual harassment ignored by mgmt
    over $2000 worth of items stolen from my desk after I was let go, and not allowed to clean my desk
    pay is low for amount of energy employees are asked to put into their work

declaring dissent and asking questions should also be considered a 'zapponian' act.

My 2nd home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've made some of the best friends I could ever hope for
    Free medical
    Free food
    Such a warm and friendly environment
    Everything is truly open-door policy
    Loves and helps the community
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Bad pay/compensation EVEN considering the awesome medical
    Top Management is a "boys club" and you better hope you're liked

The pay would be better on a paycheck to match industry standards than so many thousands of dollars on alcohol at parties

Dreadful, just dreadful

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

I really can't say a whole lot of good things about this company except the free insurance was nice

Cons

The low wages, which they try to justify with their "culture". Everything is about the culture fit. You can be terminated at any time and without warning if they decide you're not a culture fit. This is not a professional company. It's like high school all over again. They got young kids that don't know their head from a hole in the ground that are getting promoted over clearly more competent people because they like to play beer pong with the boss. They claim they value individuality but nothing could be further from the truth. You are not permitted to have a life apart from Zappos or you may be told you're not a culture fit.

Your emphasis on culture has cost you many talented employees. While culture itself is not a bad thing, it is bad when it is used to arbitrarily get rid of employees or make them feel like outcasts.