The Zappos Family Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.8

The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • Great perks such as free food, great parties, constant happy hours (in 23 reviews)

• Fun place, great benefits, everyone is genuinely friendly to one another (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 10 reviews)

• The work environment made it sometimes difficult to focus (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A Family Away From Family!

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant III  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant III in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your co-workers really do become like a second family. The people are all extremely genuine and coming to work everyday does not feel like you are coming to a job. There are so many great opportunities to grow your skill sets and learn new things that you would never imagine doing. There are also many opportunities to get involved within the company which lets you interact with other departments and people you otherwise wouldn't.

Cons

There are a lot of social events and "extra" work activities. You have to take charge of this if you want to maintain a good work/life balance or else you will end up being with co-workers 24/7.

I'm optimistic!

Current Employee - CLT  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment is more free and friendly. The company prides its self on the core values and you feel it as you walk the halls of the campus.

Cons

Although, holacracy is has been introduced, bureaucracy is still in effect. The full transition should be very informative.

Look into the pay structure. The pay should be compatible to the work. Some departments make more but don't drive the business as much as others. A slight increase would be very effective in CLT.

You get out of something what you put in...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A Strong culture is in place, with actionable Core Values; lots of growth opportunities; a lot of autonomy in your job; room for creativity; relationship building is encouraged, and you'll likely have a good circle of real friends you've made at work (great if you are relocating)

Cons

Rapid growth means that not everyone understands some of the facets of our history and culture; communication is tough with new campus; there is tension around attitudes of entitlement and real feedback-- there is a difference, but sometimes feedback is not always received; it is a lifestyle, so work-life balance has a different definition here (if you are a 9-5er, this is not the place for you)

Don't feel like you have to sugarcoat everything or spoon feed information. Hold us to a higher standard when it comes to sustaining our culture. Remind people that #2 and #3 are not our only core values.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place you could ever wish to work

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The culture is by far the biggest perk. It's a fun and casual work environment which allows you to enjoy doing your work!! Even though there are many perks and fun activities throughout the work day, every employee works very hard - it's very much a "play hard, work harder" type of atmosphere

Cons

Salaries/pay are lower than the industry average and Vegas isn't always the best place to relax.

What is it like to work at Zappos?

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a lot fun! You really do build close relationships and spend a lot of time with your coworkers. So much time, that they begin to become some of your closest friends and family members! You get free stuff all the time. The work environment is super chill and fun to be around. There's always some sort of event or day celebrated at Zappos, which is nice because every day there is something new & different. Great benefits, good food and you gotta love the 40% off Zappos discount!

Cons

Because the work environment is so open and casual. It's hard to get any work done because there are so many interruptions. It's very hard to stay focused and I find myself more and more having to escape from it from time to time. The pay is not that competitive and we do not have a set bonus structure. Also, progression can be a little tough throughout the company. A lot of times you will see folks promoted into a managerial position when in fact, they're not ready or properly trained to become a manager. This leads to a poorly managed group.

I feel like there are a lot of happy folks at Zappos but then there are a lot of folks who are not happy anymore and they have sort of "checked out". Similar to the offer in NHT, we should have a severance offer for the folks who are no longer passionate about working for Zappos. We should also provide a structured training class / on boarding for all current and new managers. Providing the ability for all team members to work a certain % of their time away from the office ex: a coffeehouse or somewhere DT or from home and actually encourage it. Lastly, increase in compensation and having a total comp package.

My experience as part of the zappos family has been one of thee best I've ever had!

Current Employee - CLT  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture and everything that Zappos provides is amazing! As big as Zappos has gotten they have never strayed away from their ways. I love waking up in the morning excited to go to work! There is always something new going on!

Cons

One of the challenges would have to be going thru New Hire Training. As fun as it was, it was also stressful at the same time. Not because I felt like I wasn't going to pass but just knowing that if I don't pass I will be losing the best job I've ever had.

Thank you for hiring me and giving me a chance to be part of this amazing family!

Different Work Environment And That Is The Way I Like It

Current Employee - Planner  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Planner in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company works hard to have lots of events that create culture of family and fun. Lots of great perks. Environment that encourages creativity. Work hard and play hard mentality. Energetic atmosphere ( can be a bit chaotic for some ). I really appreciate that this company cares about me. I am not just a face or number in the crowd but can ( and have ) stopped Tony or Fred just to say hi.

Cons

Some positions have limited opportunity for growth in career path and compensation. They are open to allow you to explore and 'intern' in other departments but that is not the option that everyone wants.

I love the family atmosphere and the encouragement to run with an idea. As the company continues to get larger the communication to the ranks is getting muddy. The direction is clear but how we are going to get there is less clear.

Zappos - Be passionate and determined!

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working at Zappos for just over 3 months and so far it's been everything I was expecting and hoping for. The work is interesting and challenging, the people are amazing and they encourage you to make decisions, take risks, and be empowered! If you're a passionate and determined person, interested in helping improve the experience of our customers, the company will provide you opportunities to execute and drive your ideas.

Cons

The open floor plan can make it difficult for some people to focus on getting their work done. Wifi is offered throughout the campus though, so finding a quiet place to work away from your desk isn't difficult during those times when extreme focus is required.

Install more noise reducing features, and create more small collaborative places for teams to work together (not in a conference room) - especially for tech. I recently visited the Amazon offices - mostly the Port99 building and I loved their office divisions for team spaces.

Amazing company, unique culture, great benefits!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Free medical, dental, and vision
    -Newly renovated office in the heart of DT LV
    -Great campus activities
    -Superior work life balance
    -Positive culture that encourages personal and intellectual growth
    -On campus bistro and cafe!
    -New gym that is free for all employees
    -Overall, the work culture inspires positive change in employees!

Cons

-Pay is lower than industry average

Love the Culture!!

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best part about working at Zappos is the Culture. There is always some kind of event going on in the campus. People are very friendly and company is focused on team bondings. Zappos is probably the best place to work if you want a great work / life balance.

Cons

Pay Could be a little better

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!