The Zappos Family Reviews

197 reviews filtered by
3.8
The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • We also got free food on the Call Center floor (and even alcohol once (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits, good food and you gotta love the 40% off Zappos discount (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • the politics and work/life balance issues exist here just like any other company (in 8 reviews)

• Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 12 reviews)

Great company culture!

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

The culture encourages idea sharing, teamwork, and fun. Each and every day is different and there are always fun company wide events taking place. Medical benefits and employee discount are amazing!

Cons

Be prepared for constant change! If you aren't easy to adapt this will be a challenging place for you.

Leadership is really part of the team. We are getting away from traditional hierarchy and creating a self organized self managed company

2. Crazy but fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You meet the coolest people who become lifelong friends. Work environment is relaxed and people are encouraged to be themselves

Cons

The unconventional work environment was be too much to handle for some. There is constant change and not a lot of direction to help lead those changes. Attempts to communicate are made but the message gets lost a lot of times due to change fatigue

I guess there really is no such thing as upper management at this point, but if anyone is listening: recognize people more often, show appreciation and help curb entitlement

Best Job Ever. If you can get in you should be honored.

Former Employee - Creative Services in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Creative Services in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The People, Culture, Benefits and Events are outstanding, and there is room for advancement if you apply yourself. I would recommend starting in CLT if you're new to the workforce and spend that time building relationships and preparing yourself for the job you're most passionate about. You also get at least a couple weeks of vacation within your first year, which is unheard of at most companies.

Cons

There was a lack of accountability when I worked there, and it was discouraging to the folks that worked hard and ultimately had to clean up the mess. The pay isn't great starting out, and I wouldn't even consider it competitive . However, you will enjoy going to work everyday. Just like anywhere there are politics, but as long as you're aware of it you shouldn't have any trouble.

Please find a direction and stick with it for at least 1 quarter. Also, you should probably avoid so many initiatives at one time if you're trying to keep employees engaged. Stop promising things and not delivering. I know your heart is in the right place but it is beyond frustrating when you tell your friends and family about awesome things that are about to happen and 2 years later it's not only forgotten about but was never mentioned and frowned upon when brought up. It hurts.

5. Overall, a great place to work.

Current Employee - Zapponian in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Zapponian in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open communication among all levels of employees.

Cons

Fun environment can impede on productivity

Provide tuition reimbursement would be fantastic.

6. Overall positive work environment

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, fun environment to work for. A lot of extra perks. Great benefits.

Cons

Upper management is unfocused and not good at keeping promises. I feel like upper management is turning into glory hounds and more interested in getting their name and faces in articles as the newest, greatest things.

Work life balance is good, although this move towards work life integration is unsavory. I'm very selfish with my free time and I get to choose who I spend it with.

Stop trying to get articles written about you and actually work.

An ok company that is slowly losing its way.

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, nice co-workers, flexible schedules

Cons

Pay hasn't kept up since they moved to Vegas in 2004. Very difficult to advance in CLT and they're getting stingier with pay increases.

I was with Zappos for almost 6 years and was able to acquire many skill sets and earn pay raises getting close to the max amount for a CLT member. Many of the skills I acquired were removed or the pay increase for achieving them was lowered. It's very difficult to advance in CLT. I tried to pursue leadership several times but was denied an interview each time and was given advice that was code for "become your Supervisor/Manager's BFF". The last time I applied to pursue leadership the Toolbox (CLT department in charge of leadership progression) didn't bother to follow up with me and I had to contact them to see what was going on. It was at that moment I knew it was over for me at Zappos. My only regret is I stayed a year too long.

I would recommend Zappos to someone looking for a short term job.

Worked there for 3 years and loved it until the last 6 months.

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can avoid doing work fairly easily! Lots of employees do it. If you kiss enough behind, you can move up fairly easily as well. Holacracy allows you to come up with your own job title and accountabilities. Free soda and cereal is nice... You can give employee bonuses to other coworkers if you like them enough or they've buttered you up enough...

Cons

-You have to pretend to be happy even when you're not.
    -They promote "honest and open communication" yet people get fired after you hear them voicing concerns or being unhappy with the workplace. There is office drama like any other call center.
    -It is ONLY about who you know and not what you know. Take people in the photo studio for instance... There are many who pride themselves in how little they do and spend more time gossipping than actually working.
    -There is a growing feeling of unhappiness with customer service representatives but nothing is done to change it. After getting rid of the attendance policy, people are no longer showing up to work on time. Those that do show up to work are forced to deal with how busy the phones are.
    -There are petty incentives and rewards for actually coming into work and doing what you're supposed to do...
    -People who do little work will get rewarded whereas people who come in and give %100 might not get any recognition because they don't suck up to the right people.
    -With employee bonuses, there are groups of people that have schemes to make sure they get them every month. E.G. Person #1 will give #2 a bonus, #2 will give #3 a bonus, and #3 will give #1 a bonus. This happens with many groups of people and leads/supervisors look the other way.
    -There is quite a bit of pressure to drink or participate in parties. It definitely doesn't seem like they want many introverts around.
    This place is fake and filled with people acting fake to make sure they don't lose their job.

Zappos is a company built on making customers happy yet you are having them wait on hold for 10 minutes...

Not what I imagined but great place

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Member
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Member

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

When you walk in it kind of looks like a school. It has great amenities and a fun environment. SOME people are polite and overall the work was fairly easy. Overall, it wasn't for me I would say. If you are laid back and like to do work your way. Go for it.

Cons

Honestly, you have to be a certain way to make it into the job. You need to be a hipster basically. The people.... some are nice and bright. They live in the cutlure.. Others do not. Only thing I had a problem with was how they teach their culture. They look for people who are outgoing, talk and engage with their coworkers and work hard. That wasn't the case when I was there.

10. Felt like family

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Going to work was fun. It felt like I was getting paid to hang out with my friends all day.

Cons

Balancing the openness of the work environment while maintaining professionalism.

Pay should be more competitive.

11. excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Creative Services in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Creative Services in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great company culture, sense of pride in work, sense that one can ascend through the ranks, feeling like you're part of something bigger

Cons

too much work / life integration sometimes. feeling like you have to take part in social gatherings or you'll be ostracized, can be a bit much.