The Zappos Family Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.9

The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • We also got free food on the Call Center floor (and even alcohol once (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, good food and you gotta love the 40% off Zappos discount (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • the politics and work/life balance issues exist here just like any other company (in 7 reviews)

• Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

fun place, but still a business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to progress, exciting, every changing atmosphere. Management is often home grown, so they may not the most experienced, they're flexible, and for the most part open to critique. A lot of trust is given to employees to make the right choices in terms of work-life balance, especially with how many event occur.

Cons

Work-Life balance can be tricky for those with school-aged kids. It's really encourage to build a "family" with your team, often that includes lots of happy hours, or team building outside of work. If you don't participate in these, you risk not being a "culture fit" and being reprimanded.

Zappos is awesome!

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, great benefits, amazing culture and awesome people! Zappos is a terrific place to work and they really care about their employees.

Cons

Sense of entitlement from some employees. Zappos is a very giving and thoughtful company and sometimes I think people forget how much they do for you.

N/A

One of a kind place to work!

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great company culture which puts people first
    - Great compensation package, including free health insurance
    - People, people, people - it is a happy place to work
    - Very bright and humble leaders
    - Company is about "delivering happiness"
    - Vegas is a great place and has a family side to it

Cons

- It takes some adjustment to move to Vegas
    - Company goes through a transition
    - Culture may not be for everybody

Keep doing what you are doing!

The Perception VS. The Reality

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zappos does have many redeeming qualities as company. The work life balance is amazing (generally speaking). The benefits are great as well. There are many wonderful people you can meet and there are some great opportunities for growth in the company.

Cons

Zappos has perception with what kind of company they are. They want to be weird and kooky and fun. A place where employees want to come to work. And that is true for some people I am sure but it has not been my experience. There is little to no direction for the company everyone gets to just do what they want. Often time things are asked of us that make no sense and will not help the business it will actually hurt the business but what management wants management gets. Also because Zappos is so culture driven know that friends of friends will be promoted, placed in positions they did not earn, or even are qualified for. I feel that culture is valued above all else. Even if you have a great idea but if it isn't cool or wacky enough it will be turned down so that something like a flying llama can be spay painted on the side of the building. The management does not offer any kind of mentor ship or leadership. They are often just someones drinking buddy and they decided over drinks "that is a great idea" without even understand what they are asking for. Zappos is a company that wants the world to think they are the disneyland of jobs but in reality they are just like any corp company, but you need to be singing it's a small world after all, in a pink tutu and loving ever second of it.

Actually create a structure where your employees feel empowered, actually put management in place that knows what they are doing. Just because you like a poster that doesn't make you an Art Director. Understand the needs of your team and acknowledge what they do. Give feedback good, bad, or whatever just give it! Support your teams instead of telling them do something and when they do, throw them under the bus because someone doesn't like the green because "I just don't like it." Zappos is losing a lot of great people I don't think that trend is going to end anytime soon unless these issues are addressed.

Core values, culture and politics

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team building, opportunity to meet people I'm other departments. Random events and celebrities show up. All hands meetings after parties. No dress code. Smart, technical people.

Cons

The nonsense 30 day new hire training is too long. High stress and after going through it still at risk of immediately getting let go. Certain leadership has the ability to get rid of personnel because of personal reasons or grudges and not based on performance. It may seem like an innovative and creative company but departments refuse to change their procedures and way of doing things. Try not getting of people who have managements ear as they will use it against you.

Pay attention to what's really going in your company and not your outside projects. You let the cat people think all is great and can under pay them but they are blinded at what's reallly going on. Amazon is in charge and they are just a couple of bad quarters and no direction from layoffs.

Zappos

I have been working at The Zappos Family

Pros

most of the people are great and there is a lot of talent.

Cons

Company doesn't invest much in growing leadership and it shows.

Generally a good place to work.

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Zappos offers free food and drinks to employees. There are lots of events to participate in where you'll get to know your coworkers.

Cons

The core values are, at times, very forced. Rather than letting them exist and guide us, at times they're enforced and beaten into us.

Don't let Amazon push us around.

Company Culture is everything!

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Zappos is known for their amazing customer service. The reason they are able to provide world-class service is because "happy workplace = happy employees", which in turn drives productivity. Most employees are vested in the success of Zappos. Benefits are top-notch, fun work environment, management is encouraged to truly know their team members.

Cons

There are times when you feel the pressure of having to be involved in a company event, because you want to make sure you are perceived as a "culture fit". As great as Zappos is, there are still office politics. It's not 100% utopia. A lot of employees have a sense of entitlement and tend to complain about stupid things. My take is, if you're not happy or want to gripe about it....you don't have to work there.

Solid form of job progression would be good.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with Zappos very much exceeded my expectations. As an Intern, I expected to do some grunt work but I truly was exposed to real tasks full-time employees face on a daily basis. My team was incredibly supportive and open to help/answer any questions I had. I formed a great bond with many of the employees and walked away not only gaining lots of field-related knowledge, but also new friends as well. Thanks for the awesome summer Zappos!

Cons

I am head over heels for the company however if it was located in another city I probably wouldn't complain.

I truly liked management from my direct supervisor to our department manager. I think Zappos does a great job in hiring people who have similar mindsets which, of course helps to create a better atmosphere.

An awesome place to be!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This place has a very positive work environment. Everyone in the company, and I mean, EVERYONE; is approachable. The Tech is an awesome division to be a part of. An environment where you are pushed to do better and where innovation is welcomed with open arms, and hence progression too is pretty fast. The benefits the company offers are out of the roof. Work hard, party hard is the motto of the company. Once you are here, it will be difficult for you to adjust in any place else.

Cons

Sometimes the party hard part can be a bit distracting. But I suppose that's negligible considering the positive energy to work going on around you.