The Zappos Family

Updated November 20, 2014
3.8

The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Pros
  • We also got free food on the Call Center floor (and even alcohol once (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits, good food and you gotta love the 40% off Zappos discount (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • the politics and work/life balance issues exist here just like any other company (in 8 reviews)

• Zappos headquarter's move from the suburbs of Henderson to old Downtown Las Vegas (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

My 2nd home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've made some of the best friends I could ever hope for
    Free medical
    Free food
    Such a warm and friendly environment
    Everything is truly open-door policy
    Loves and helps the community
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Bad pay/compensation EVEN considering the awesome medical
    Top Management is a "boys club" and you better hope you're liked

The pay would be better on a paycheck to match industry standards than so many thousands of dollars on alcohol at parties

Great people & benefits but it is like College or High school all over again.

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

The interview process ensures most all of your peers will be great people that you'll feel comfortable talking to and working with. Awesome on the job perks like team events, food, coffee, great health benefits and a really relaxed environment.

Flexible work schedule if you are a full time salaried employee.

Lots of personal freedom for your own needs. Good vacation plan.

Cons

People get promoted or favored because of who they know and not their skills or accomplishments they've made. Very little room for growth both with in your team and the company as a whole.

The relaxed environment becomes a hindering experience when you need to get work done. Even simply asking others to tone it down or that you need to focus is met with ridicule and purposeful continuance of whatever it is you tried to stop in the first place. Any sort of complaint is brushed off completely. It is a "so what?" environment.

Many people joke around so often that nothing gets accomplished when it matters or takes a very very long time to do simple tasks.

Many employees are not capable of performing their roles but they are kept in their positions simply because they know someone in management, or have been at the company for years but yet would not pass an interview for their same position outside of Zappos.

Very little, if any, work-life balance at all. Zappos is so engrained into Las Vegas that it is impossible to escape it after hours, leaving people feeling like they are always at work even during non-work hours.

"Voluntary" outings that are really mandatory.
    You are viewed as an outsider if you do not act like you're part of the Zappos college fraternity like lifestyle. It is very much like high school or college all over again.

Below above pay compared to positions at other companies for the same roles.

Very little room for vertical movement, if any at all. While you may get a higher position on your team there is next to zero chance of you going any higher than a regular employee (I.e, don't plan on being put in a manager job unless it is handed to you by a friend who is your boss.)

All in all Zappos is a good place to work if you want a break from the typical corporate world, but not somewhere you can make a career out of.

There is a time for play and a time for work; be sure to define where is line is drawn.

Do not keep employees who clearly do not belong just because you are afraid to let them go. Below average performance is it's own offense- not every employee who is let go needs to perform some heinous act to be deserving of a firing. Sometimes incompetence is, and should be, enough.

Focus on hiring good talent even if it costs more money and then work to keep that talent.

Zappos is not what its cracked up to be

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are free
    company values are reasonable
    My fellow co-workers are what kept me coming back all these years
    location is in a great place

Cons

One the first things they will tell you is that they hire and fire based on culture. What they dont tell you is its really about what other people perceive of you. I have seen so many people get fired because of this. Even if one could alter another person perception of themselves; a wrong look, or a comment perceived as negative will get someone pulled into a room to be given "feedback". Its tough because it is always in a state of upheaval with the introduction of holocracy and it seems that leadership might have been talking themselves out of a job.

I get the impression that the upper echelons might not understand what it takes to survive; but the base pay is damn near criminal. With holocracy there is no real way to progress in the company right now. This is something they are currently "working on" with no real end date to this madness. There are no annual performance or cost of living raises for CLT, and the raises they do give based on progressing to a different team in CLT are measly. So unless you plan on kissing the right butts to leave CLT, you're stuck making base pay. After so many years with the company and after going to several different specialty teams I am currently looking for another job to support my family.

Take some of that money you spend on those elaborate parties and put it into your employees.

fun place, but still a business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to progress, exciting, every changing atmosphere. Management is often home grown, so they may not the most experienced, they're flexible, and for the most part open to critique. A lot of trust is given to employees to make the right choices in terms of work-life balance, especially with how many event occur.

Cons

Work-Life balance can be tricky for those with school-aged kids. It's really encourage to build a "family" with your team, often that includes lots of happy hours, or team building outside of work. If you don't participate in these, you risk not being a "culture fit" and being reprimanded.

Zappos is awesome!

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, great benefits, amazing culture and awesome people! Zappos is a terrific place to work and they really care about their employees.

Cons

Sense of entitlement from some employees. Zappos is a very giving and thoughtful company and sometimes I think people forget how much they do for you.

N/A

One of a kind place to work!

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great company culture which puts people first
    - Great compensation package, including free health insurance
    - People, people, people - it is a happy place to work
    - Very bright and humble leaders
    - Company is about "delivering happiness"
    - Vegas is a great place and has a family side to it

Cons

- It takes some adjustment to move to Vegas
    - Company goes through a transition
    - Culture may not be for everybody

Keep doing what you are doing!

Company Culture is everything!

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Zappos is known for their amazing customer service. The reason they are able to provide world-class service is because "happy workplace = happy employees", which in turn drives productivity. Most employees are vested in the success of Zappos. Benefits are top-notch, fun work environment, management is encouraged to truly know their team members.

Cons

There are times when you feel the pressure of having to be involved in a company event, because you want to make sure you are perceived as a "culture fit". As great as Zappos is, there are still office politics. It's not 100% utopia. A lot of employees have a sense of entitlement and tend to complain about stupid things. My take is, if you're not happy or want to gripe about it....you don't have to work there.

Solid form of job progression would be good.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with Zappos very much exceeded my expectations. As an Intern, I expected to do some grunt work but I truly was exposed to real tasks full-time employees face on a daily basis. My team was incredibly supportive and open to help/answer any questions I had. I formed a great bond with many of the employees and walked away not only gaining lots of field-related knowledge, but also new friends as well. Thanks for the awesome summer Zappos!

Cons

I am head over heels for the company however if it was located in another city I probably wouldn't complain.

I truly liked management from my direct supervisor to our department manager. I think Zappos does a great job in hiring people who have similar mindsets which, of course helps to create a better atmosphere.

The Perception VS. The Reality

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zappos does have many redeeming qualities as company. The work life balance is amazing (generally speaking). The benefits are great as well. There are many wonderful people you can meet and there are some great opportunities for growth in the company.

Cons

Zappos has perception with what kind of company they are. They want to be weird and kooky and fun. A place where employees want to come to work. And that is true for some people I am sure but it has not been my experience. There is little to no direction for the company everyone gets to just do what they want. Often time things are asked of us that make no sense and will not help the business it will actually hurt the business but what management wants management gets. Also because Zappos is so culture driven know that friends of friends will be promoted, placed in positions they did not earn, or even are qualified for. I feel that culture is valued above all else. Even if you have a great idea but if it isn't cool or wacky enough it will be turned down so that something like a flying llama can be spay painted on the side of the building. The management does not offer any kind of mentor ship or leadership. They are often just someones drinking buddy and they decided over drinks "that is a great idea" without even understand what they are asking for. Zappos is a company that wants the world to think they are the disneyland of jobs but in reality they are just like any corp company, but you need to be singing it's a small world after all, in a pink tutu and loving ever second of it.

Actually create a structure where your employees feel empowered, actually put management in place that knows what they are doing. Just because you like a poster that doesn't make you an Art Director. Understand the needs of your team and acknowledge what they do. Give feedback good, bad, or whatever just give it! Support your teams instead of telling them do something and when they do, throw them under the bus because someone doesn't like the green because "I just don't like it." Zappos is losing a lot of great people I don't think that trend is going to end anytime soon unless these issues are addressed.

Core values, culture and politics

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team building, opportunity to meet people I'm other departments. Random events and celebrities show up. All hands meetings after parties. No dress code. Smart, technical people.

Cons

The nonsense 30 day new hire training is too long. High stress and after going through it still at risk of immediately getting let go. Certain leadership has the ability to get rid of personnel because of personal reasons or grudges and not based on performance. It may seem like an innovative and creative company but departments refuse to change their procedures and way of doing things. Try not getting of people who have managements ear as they will use it against you.

Pay attention to what's really going in your company and not your outside projects. You let the cat people think all is great and can under pay them but they are blinded at what's reallly going on. Amazon is in charge and they are just a couple of bad quarters and no direction from layoffs.