TheLadders

TheLadders Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 26, 2014

TheLadders Co-Founder and CEO Alexandre Douzet

Alexandre Douzet

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals(in 17 reviews)

• Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad pay, boring monotonous work, no room for growth(in 4 reviews)

• Not much work/life balance in some areas(in 4 reviews)

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing, talented and passionate co-workers!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI work with some of the most talented professionals who are passionate about their work and fun to work with. You can't beat the people that make up TheLadders.

Over the course of my career at TheLadders, I've had the opportunity to try on many hats and learn much about the various facets of our industry and business. It's been a great education and helped shape my long-term career goals.

ConsIt's an incredibly fast-paced environment, and project plans and high-level goals can change quickly. If you have trouble handling change, this isn't the right place for you.
    Sometimes quality is sacrificed for speed of delivery.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everyone informed of major strategic changes and the rationale behind them so people will be behind those changes. Also, need better balance between speed of delivery and quality of service/product.

TheLadders!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's a great starting place to move forward in your career or to switch internally. I found that if you push yourself and show initiative, hard work can pay off. It also helps when there are a lot of great people around you who want to help.

I get to work with a great group of people who enjoy what they are doing and who want to help others along the way. It makes for a more enjoyable working atmosphere.

Really appreciate the unlimited vacation and food :)

ConsSometimes there is a lack of communication and things can fall through if your manager doesn't spread the information around. I find that there is more of a focus on technology and focus drifts off of other parts of the company, which I think leads to discontentment among the different functions/groups of the company.

"Your Career is our Job" HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Marketing Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree unlimited snacks and catered lunch/breakfast once a week. Fantastic benefits and salary. Work-life balance is very good. Working hours are supposed to be 9am-6pm, but you can pretty much walk in after 10am and leave at 5:30pm (nobody says anything!) while taking a 1-2 hour lunch on top of that. There are a ton of nice people there.

ConsI just want to go on record by saying that once I started at the company, I truly believed that I was going to be there for a long time. However, it didn't take too long to realize that I made a horrible mistake in joining. Let's start with the office. The office is very dirty and in an old rickety building in SoHo. So, if you are a fan of a dirty office environment, then come work at TheLadders. The Leadership is HORRIBLE. The two people who founded the company (Alex Douzet and Marc Cenedella) made their money and now they don't really care about anything. They will speak in these 2 week Friday forum's but they truly don't believe what they are saying and you can tell that they are as fake as can be. Marc will talk about people's success stories from time to time but he's off doing his own side project while Alex is running the company (AHHHHHH). Alex seems smart, but believe me when I say that it's all a facade. Some of the things he says will just boggle your mind. There's also a lot of outlandish personalities that you have to deal with. One guy runs around all day screaming nonsense and even gibberish (he honestly scares me).

Advice to Senior ManagementStand by your slogan and believe in it. Don't say one thing and do another. Treat EVERYONE with respect, not just upper management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short - sighted strategy and no real innovation has been TheLadders' real achilles heal.

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits. Good people (individual contributors). Management and above are made to feel that they are important, but the actual reality is extremely short-lived.

ConsNo real innovation stunts the growth of current employees. Subscription base (job seekers) keeps TheLadders machine chugging along.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't listen to its own managers let alone the "rank and file."

Toxic engineering environment

Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere's free food, quarterly company meetings in a nearby movie theater, lots of nearby subways, lots of smart people, good view.

ConsStressful environment with crazy personalities (in a negative way). Poor work-life balance. Loud, open office. Very negative reviews of the company can be found online, which I should have paid attention to.

Advice to Senior ManagementRein people in.

Could be great; severely misfiring due to leadership issues

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Free food
    -Good office location
    -Team camaraderie (occasionally)
    -Smart, talented people
    -Latest technology and equipment provided

Cons-Painful lack of direction and long term vision for the company; leadership instills little confidence they know what they are trying to accomplish
    -Indecision and frequently changing priorities leads to frustrated, disconnected teams with very low morale or motivation
    -Poor process and cross-team communication leads to inefficiencies
    -Career advancement is basically non-existent
    -Questionable business model

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people you hire, you hired them for a reason.

Get organized; really understand what you're trying to do with the company and don't drive it off a cliff in the meantime.

Great place to work; Great place to gain experience; Not a lot of room to move up

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCo-workers. Always stocked kitchen, weekly lunches and breakfasts, flexible hours, unlimited vacation (when you can take it), training budget for classes/conferences, computer workstation setup (multiple monitors, aeron chair), company information is transparent, host meetups in office (with food and beers)

ConsEmployee Turnover and not filling the position. Communication between business units. Shifting focuses. Pretty flat organization hierarchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone leaves the company, fill the position instead of having other employees work cross-function on roles. The communication between the business units needs improving. When one units work affects another downstream, their goals and projects need to be better aligned instead of working in a vacuum. There also needs to be a re-imagining or re-inventing of the company culture as we have shifted from a consumer-services to tech focused company. It's great, but it used to be excellent.

Fun Working Environment

Temporary Job Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTheLadders is committed to creating a comfortable, fun work environment for their employees. These efforts include: Casual dress, in-office events and free food/refreshments (yes I said it, free food). Also, TheLadders allows their employees to provide input to improve the work process. Finally, TheLadders strives to bring employees together and perform effectively as a team (and make a friend outside of work).
     *This is a good first job for recent grads

ConsUnfortunately my current position is temporary, which doesn’t provide room for growth within the company. There is a goal system that I’m not too fond of; since it’s reminds me of a quota system (yikes). But it’s definitely needed to ensure that everyone is doing their fair share and that the company remains productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should take part in social responsibility. They can volunteer one day out of the month to fight for cause. This can be in a form of a fundraiser event, volunteering at a soup kitchen, or helping out at a local hospital. It would put The Ladders in a positive light, would be fun for staff and it’s the right thing to do!

Awful, disorganized, unethical.. do not work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell stocked kitchen, catered lunches and breakfast weekly, free iPad

ConsThis org is a shell of what it once was, The Ladders started out as the go to place for 100K careers and is now just a repository for old, dead resumes of members long gone. Poorly structured and unfocused management team, no HR support, the company ethos is CYA, employee development is nil and all product offerings are sub par. At least with Craig's List you know what you are getting. Both job seekers and recruiters are being scammed and misled everyday all day. If you like to lie and mislead people all day then this is the company for you, if you have any ethics or simply a SOUL work somewhere else. its not worth the aggravation

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what type of business you want to run and stick to it.
    Revisit your mission statement

Terrible Morale is part of the DNA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIncredibly talented engineering team, with some of the highest caliber developers I've ever work with in my career. For product managers, project managers, designers, and marketing folk, it's a great experience just to work alongside such smart men AND women in the technology groups. Unlimited PTO (not that work/life balance lets you take advantage of that), once-a-week catered lunch and breakfast, good snack room, cool office space are other benefits.

ConsIt seems like groups are on rotation for getting singled out and shamed in front of the senior team and company. More focus is put on assigning blame versus encouraging creativity, which causes low morale and a toxic working environment. Frenetic goal setting and unfocused leadership objectives keep everyone constantly confused and uncertain about what shape the company is really in. There's zero customer consideration left as well, meaning the bulk of revenue comes from dishonest auto-renew settings- be prepared to get complacent with that reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some painfully obvious problems, no secret to anyone in the leadership. Fix them, or get comfortable with high turnover.

Worked for TheLadders? Contribute to the Community!