TheLadders Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Marc Cenedella

Pros
  • Fully stocked kitchen (food and beverages) (in 17 reviews)

• Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work/life balance in some areas (in 4 reviews)

• They also have you work a mandatory, arbitrary 12 hours a day for made up deadlines driven by a directionless management team (in 6 reviews)

Great work environment, but communication could be better

Current Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is excellent. People are laid back and as long as you get your work done no one bothers you. I really like the people and have made a number of friends. Also, catered food 4x per week is a big plus!

Cons

The company's turnover has been high due to changes in strategy by management and from lack communication from management to employees.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people. Give them direction and allow them to make decisions. Also, please keep the awesome free lunches coming!

2. Career Services Manager

Former Employee - Career Services Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Services Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great offices, great people. Everyone was extremely nice and most were very smart and well educated. CEO Marc Cenedella was innovative and also loved the Grateful Dead.

Cons

Lack of focus on product. At one time it was focused on jobs openings over $100K, then the company transitioned to all jobs, which hurt the overall growth of the company due to the lack of exclusivity.

Advice to Management

Place focus back on the job seeker. They are the ones who need help and are willing to pay for it. I believe there is a mobile app now, which is a great idea and a huge step into the world of mobile.

Great company, people & culture!!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One actually enjoys working here as opposed to watching the clock. Great work environment and intelligent, friendly people in each department. Very trusting and accomplished leaders. Of course, free food favors all and makes life much easier!

Cons

The company is still in "improvement mode". Hence there are a lot of changes happening right now, which is not necessarily a bad thing but requires you to be patient and demands adjustment from everyone on the team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...stay amazing!! You could however make some decisions faster and keep everyone in the loop.

CEO fires technology people constantly. Ruthless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there

Cons

The founders have no understanding of technology and they treat engineers poorly. CEO is ruthless Software engineer are pressured to work long hours. Most turnover I have encountered in any company. In a period of one year that I worked there there was a 90% turnover of the software team

Advice to Management

Start caring more about technologists

TheLadders Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

Afloat in a sea of tough competitors

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits; generous with food and fun activities. Great location. Rewards people with generous monetary compensation packages. CEO is classically trained Harvard grad. All business.

Cons

There are several examples that exist at the top of the organizational pyramid where employees have been bullied and treated in demeaning ways (not physically harmed). There appears to be a protective shell that surrounds and insulates the "A-team" and "executive staff" from the rest of the employees in the organization. Somewhat secretive. Dubious. The CEO has an over-sized framed painting in his office of the French military and political leader, Napoleon Bonaparte. It's erie. Disturbing to those that understand the symbolic nature of such a conspicuous gesture. Company wishes to be perceived as an employer-of-choice to the millennial segment. Image and very "status conscious". Fluctuating market strategy. Always afloat. Never ahead or innovative. Dirty bathrooms. Very old building.

Advice to Management

Printing money is not real entrepreneurialism.

Great Engineering Culture!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!

First Full-Time Job Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders

Pros

I joined TheLadders right out of college and I am so glad that I did. I’ve been with the company for a while now and it has been a good experience so far. I’ve had the opportunity to work on many different projects and pick up various skills along the way. The kitchen is full of goodies and there’s catered lunch and breakfast every week. The offered benefits plan is excellent and I have a good work-life balance. More importantly, we are given the chance to work on meaningful challenges.

Cons

The turnover rate can be high depending on the department.

Advice to Management

Please work on retaining employees and nudging them to stay with the company. We have really talented workers that other companies may have their eyes on. Please do more to keep them.

Great experience - learnt a lot while building great experiences

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- was part of Agile, self-driving, highly motivated team to build products & features - building features for a high-traffic website with problems of scale - good management team letting engineers build innovative solutions

Cons

- Elevator - single elevator & it was slow - did not get many growth opportunities in spite of good projects/contributions

Advice to Management

No complaints or advice to management

Shocked the company is still in business!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent direct report. Despite the lack of vision from senior management, my manager did a good job of focusing his team on what we could control.

Cons

Completely disconnected Sr. Executive team who offered absolutely no direction or sustainable business model. In addition, sales quotas were nothing more than a dart board approach of setting reps up for complete failure.

Advice to Management

You missed the boat and should have sold years ago.

Great team, lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people that are fun, kind, and pleasure to be around. Ample opportunities to learn and develop skills beyond what you were hired to do. Really talented team of engineers that have a wide array of experience and expertise.

Cons

If you're looking for a place where you can just phone it in, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed