TheLadders

Updated December 1, 2014
2.6

TheLadders Co-Founder and CEO Alexandre Douzet
Alexandre Douzet

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 17 reviews)

• Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work/life balance in some areas (in 4 reviews)

• Constant changes in strategy and controlling executive management team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Weird I liked working here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My team, my manager, were great. Drew was awesome. My two backend devs were amazing. We had good chemistry I wish I could get back.

Cons

Senior management doesnt have their act together. I think they have the talent but the management is the weakest link.

Quit and let someone else run it.

Talented, Smart and Motivated Developers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TheLadders software engineering and data science teams at TheLadders are hard at work, day in and day out, to devise and deliver the best data driven tools and products to improve the careers of our users. Expect to work with smart, talented and motivated software engineers who are big on delivering solutions to complex problems. Plus, the company offers up to $3500 per calendar year for professional development (e.g. seminars, conferences, etc.) for our engineers.

Cons

The company could use more software engineers on their teams. However, we have hiring initiatives in place to make this happen.

Keep up the good work, but let's hire more good folks for our teams.

You'll come for the culture and leave because of everything else

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kitchen is stocked with food. Worked with some great people on young, fun teams.

Cons

-Pay is terrible and they will just gloss over ever discussing yearly bonuses or yearly raises. Out of 4 years I got a yearly raise maybe once. The other years it just wasn't discussed. Yearly bonuses pretty much worked the same way unless you were in sales.
    -No room for advancement at all. Not some, but literally none.
    -Management doesn't understand or doesn't care about the concerns of lower workers.
    -Frequent changes to the company's aims, approaches, and even their motto. They rarely, if ever, give a new plan enough time to pan out but scrap it the second they think it should be returning them money. Rather than making sensible changes to things that work, they'll scrap it and have mass-layoffs. I've seen 3-4 massive layoffs here, with entire teams being cut. They must have changed their recruiter pricing 3 times in a year, and changed the product itself multiple times as well.

Pull yourselves together, give ideas more time, and make incremental improvements, not sweeping changes when things don't work out. Scrapping ideas constantly and coming up with new plans is why you're unable to find a strong foot hold in the market and you have a high turnover rate.

Career Advisor at TheLadders

Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great people to work with
    - hire smart people
    - free snacks and company outings but started to become less and less

Cons

- company is constantly changing its mission and core focus
    - no room for advancement
    - management does not listen to its employees
    - management played favorites
    - pay was not good

First job out of college

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They reallly try to be competitive by offering some nice perks

Cons

Not sure about the direction the company is taking.

Run.

Former Employee - Job Search Advisor (the Name Changed At Least III Times) in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people and free snacks.

Cons

The company would hire huge groups of employees and then have massive layoffs only months after.

Respect the individuals that are working for you.

Amazing, talented and passionate co-workers!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

I work with some of the most talented professionals who are passionate about their work and fun to work with. You can't beat the people that make up TheLadders.

Over the course of my career at TheLadders, I've had the opportunity to try on many hats and learn much about the various facets of our industry and business. It's been a great education and helped shape my long-term career goals.

Cons

It's an incredibly fast-paced environment, and project plans and high-level goals can change quickly. If you have trouble handling change, this isn't the right place for you.
    Sometimes quality is sacrificed for speed of delivery.

Keep everyone informed of major strategic changes and the rationale behind them so people will be behind those changes. Also, need better balance between speed of delivery and quality of service/product.

TheLadders!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great starting place to move forward in your career or to switch internally. I found that if you push yourself and show initiative, hard work can pay off. It also helps when there are a lot of great people around you who want to help.

I get to work with a great group of people who enjoy what they are doing and who want to help others along the way. It makes for a more enjoyable working atmosphere.

Really appreciate the unlimited vacation and food :)

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication and things can fall through if your manager doesn't spread the information around. I find that there is more of a focus on technology and focus drifts off of other parts of the company, which I think leads to discontentment among the different functions/groups of the company.

"Your Career is our Job" HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free unlimited snacks and catered lunch/breakfast once a week. Fantastic benefits and salary. Work-life balance is very good. Working hours are supposed to be 9am-6pm, but you can pretty much walk in after 10am and leave at 5:30pm (nobody says anything!) while taking a 1-2 hour lunch on top of that. There are a ton of nice people there.

Cons

I just want to go on record by saying that once I started at the company, I truly believed that I was going to be there for a long time. However, it didn't take too long to realize that I made a horrible mistake in joining. Let's start with the office. The office is very dirty and in an old rickety building in SoHo. So, if you are a fan of a dirty office environment, then come work at TheLadders. The Leadership is HORRIBLE. The two people who founded the company (Alex Douzet and Marc Cenedella) made their money and now they don't really care about anything. They will speak in these 2 week Friday forum's but they truly don't believe what they are saying and you can tell that they are as fake as can be. Marc will talk about people's success stories from time to time but he's off doing his own side project while Alex is running the company (AHHHHHH). Alex seems smart, but believe me when I say that it's all a facade. Some of the things he says will just boggle your mind. There's also a lot of outlandish personalities that you have to deal with. One guy runs around all day screaming nonsense and even gibberish (he honestly scares me).

Stand by your slogan and believe in it. Don't say one thing and do another. Treat EVERYONE with respect, not just upper management.

Could be great; severely misfiring due to leadership issues

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

-Free food
    -Good office location
    -Team camaraderie (occasionally)
    -Smart, talented people
    -Latest technology and equipment provided

Cons

-Painful lack of direction and long term vision for the company; leadership instills little confidence they know what they are trying to accomplish
    -Indecision and frequently changing priorities leads to frustrated, disconnected teams with very low morale or motivation
    -Poor process and cross-team communication leads to inefficiencies
    -Career advancement is basically non-existent
    -Questionable business model

Listen to the people you hire, you hired them for a reason.

Get organized; really understand what you're trying to do with the company and don't drive it off a cliff in the meantime.