TheLadders

Updated November 5, 2014
2.6

TheLadders Co-Founder and CEO Alexandre Douzet
Alexandre Douzet

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 17 reviews)

• Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work/life balance in some areas (in 4 reviews)

• Constant changes in strategy and controlling executive management team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

First job out of college

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They reallly try to be competitive by offering some nice perks

Cons

Not sure about the direction the company is taking.

Career Advisor at TheLadders

Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great people to work with
    - hire smart people
    - free snacks and company outings but started to become less and less

Cons

- company is constantly changing its mission and core focus
    - no room for advancement
    - management does not listen to its employees
    - management played favorites
    - pay was not good

Amazing, talented and passionate co-workers!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

I work with some of the most talented professionals who are passionate about their work and fun to work with. You can't beat the people that make up TheLadders.

Over the course of my career at TheLadders, I've had the opportunity to try on many hats and learn much about the various facets of our industry and business. It's been a great education and helped shape my long-term career goals.

Cons

It's an incredibly fast-paced environment, and project plans and high-level goals can change quickly. If you have trouble handling change, this isn't the right place for you.
    Sometimes quality is sacrificed for speed of delivery.

Keep everyone informed of major strategic changes and the rationale behind them so people will be behind those changes. Also, need better balance between speed of delivery and quality of service/product.

TheLadders!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great starting place to move forward in your career or to switch internally. I found that if you push yourself and show initiative, hard work can pay off. It also helps when there are a lot of great people around you who want to help.

I get to work with a great group of people who enjoy what they are doing and who want to help others along the way. It makes for a more enjoyable working atmosphere.

Really appreciate the unlimited vacation and food :)

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication and things can fall through if your manager doesn't spread the information around. I find that there is more of a focus on technology and focus drifts off of other parts of the company, which I think leads to discontentment among the different functions/groups of the company.

Run.

Former Employee - Job Search Advisor (the Name Changed At Least III Times) in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people and free snacks.

Cons

The company would hire huge groups of employees and then have massive layoffs only months after.

Respect the individuals that are working for you.

A company with a promising strategic vision in the first stages of execution and solid perks!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals. We are expected to work hard and get the job done well, but also can find s support for work/life balance (along with unlimited PTO). If you are a person who is proactive and doesn't always wait for orders to prove how you can contribute to the company, you will do well here. Every other Friday we are briefed on company going-ons, work anniversaries, etc. There are also some interesting initiatives going on in the Mobile and Data Science space.

Cons

While most positions at most companies have some ambiguity in what they are expected to deliver, there is more of that ambiguity here than the average company. For some people it may be very tough to navigate while others are able to thrive and do well. Since the company has been undergoing a shift from internet consumer services to a more Data/Tech heavy platform, the culture/values of the company needs to be revitalized.

Once a strategy or project is set in place, it should be implemented and followed-up with even more care and detail. Communications between all functions to achieve strategic initiatives should also be improved.

"Your Career is our Job" HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free unlimited snacks and catered lunch/breakfast once a week. Fantastic benefits and salary. Work-life balance is very good. Working hours are supposed to be 9am-6pm, but you can pretty much walk in after 10am and leave at 5:30pm (nobody says anything!) while taking a 1-2 hour lunch on top of that. There are a ton of nice people there.

Cons

I just want to go on record by saying that once I started at the company, I truly believed that I was going to be there for a long time. However, it didn't take too long to realize that I made a horrible mistake in joining. Let's start with the office. The office is very dirty and in an old rickety building in SoHo. So, if you are a fan of a dirty office environment, then come work at TheLadders. The Leadership is HORRIBLE. The two people who founded the company (Alex Douzet and Marc Cenedella) made their money and now they don't really care about anything. They will speak in these 2 week Friday forum's but they truly don't believe what they are saying and you can tell that they are as fake as can be. Marc will talk about people's success stories from time to time but he's off doing his own side project while Alex is running the company (AHHHHHH). Alex seems smart, but believe me when I say that it's all a facade. Some of the things he says will just boggle your mind. There's also a lot of outlandish personalities that you have to deal with. One guy runs around all day screaming nonsense and even gibberish (he honestly scares me).

Stand by your slogan and believe in it. Don't say one thing and do another. Treat EVERYONE with respect, not just upper management.

Short - sighted strategy and no real innovation has been TheLadders' real achilles heal.

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good people (individual contributors). Management and above are made to feel that they are important, but the actual reality is extremely short-lived.

Cons

No real innovation stunts the growth of current employees. Subscription base (job seekers) keeps TheLadders machine chugging along.

Management doesn't listen to its own managers let alone the "rank and file."

Toxic engineering environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's free food, quarterly company meetings in a nearby movie theater, lots of nearby subways, lots of smart people, good view.

Cons

Stressful environment with crazy personalities (in a negative way). Poor work-life balance. Loud, open office. Very negative reviews of the company can be found online, which I should have paid attention to.

Rein people in.

Could be great; severely misfiring due to leadership issues

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

-Free food
    -Good office location
    -Team camaraderie (occasionally)
    -Smart, talented people
    -Latest technology and equipment provided

Cons

-Painful lack of direction and long term vision for the company; leadership instills little confidence they know what they are trying to accomplish
    -Indecision and frequently changing priorities leads to frustrated, disconnected teams with very low morale or motivation
    -Poor process and cross-team communication leads to inefficiencies
    -Career advancement is basically non-existent
    -Questionable business model

Listen to the people you hire, you hired them for a reason.

Get organized; really understand what you're trying to do with the company and don't drive it off a cliff in the meantime.

TheLadders Photos

Game Room
Exercise balls for chairs at TheLadders
Engineers