TheLadders

Updated February 25, 2015
2.8

TheLadders Co-Founder and CEO Alexandre Douzet
Alexandre Douzet

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 17 reviews)

• Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work/life balance in some areas (in 4 reviews)

• Constant changes in strategy and controlling executive management team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People, Good Environment, Bit Disorganized

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment overall is good. There is a kitchen stocked with beverages and snacks, including some reasonably healthy options (though it's mostly soda, cookies, chips, etc). The people are very friendly and welcoming.

The tech culture overall is good. All the developers I interacted with were very intelligent and passionate - they were interested in constantly improving themselves as well as the product. There is a lot of room for personal growth - the potential to work on different types of projects with different types of technology.

There are weekly conclaves with talks given on various topics - whether related to product or not. The office sometimes hosts various tech meetups for the NYC area. The tech stack is not cutting edge (which is good imo), but current and interesting - though of course enterprisey/legacy stuff will be found for you to work on.

The product culture is generally good. Many in the company are very passionate about the product and genuinely interested in helping the customer. All departments have input into product design, and the input taken seriously. There are regular meetings/events and you can provide input and ideas to the extent that you are inclined to do so.

Cons

The upper levels of management seem very unfocused and disconnected. There is some disconnect between product, customer, sales, and engineering - communication in general was a problem both between team members, teams, and departments.

It's very much an "open office", with all the cons typically associated with one - noise, difficulty focusing, many people wear headphones and it's hard to get their attention, etc. There are conference rooms to duck into when needed, but it still can be overall unpleasant.

There is a general lack of organization and accountability in some areas.

The onboarding process could use improvement as well - it's very disorganized. To the extent that it exists and is followed, it is one-size-fits-all.

Compensation-wise it's not the best all around, expect to have to push a bit.

Empower the smart people you have, make them accountable, and get out of their way.

Improve your hiring and onboarding processes - customize training to individuals. When new employees complain, take this seriously. Get them the information they need sooner. Consider explicitly assigning new employees someone to help them navigate the process.

Mar 4, 2015Senior Technical Recruiter

Thank you for your company review of TheLadders. We take pride in listening to and understanding the concerns of our employees, both current and former. Please know we are working hard to overcome ... More

One of the best environments I've ever worked in...

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The first thing you notice at the Ladders is they have great people. The developers are talented and technically smart. The unlimited vacation policy. The Chill and laid back environment. Catered lunches and breakfasts. The Managers actually treat you like an adult. What more can be said.

Cons

Sometimes there is poor communication between management and employees. I want catered lunches everyday! Don't have pretzels in the kitchen. How can you not have pretzels?

Continue Hiring Great People!

Feb 6, 2015Senior Technical Recruiter

Your feedback and input is very important to us. Thank you! And by the way, we will look into getting pretzels for the kitchen :-)

My voice is heard, my thoughts are considered.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders

Pros

I've been working at TheLadders for almost a year now and It's been great working with people who want to hear your opinions. I know most companies seem to have a leadership rules all environment, but TheLadders provides employees with the ability to do more than just their job, and provide you with more than just a check. If you're interested in learning more about the recruitment world and aiding in reinventing it.. This is the place.

Cons

To be honest, the only con I could think of is that we don't have catered lunch everyday. We only have it on Wednesday's.

Keep updating your employees on their progress, you're doing a good job with it now.. Don't ever stop.

A company on the decline

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented, smart, friendly people. Unlimited time-off

Cons

Terrible, short-sighted, ignorant management. Absolute disregard for their users' needs

Open your deaf, arrogant ears

Jan 6, 2015Senior Technical Recruiter

Here at TheLadders, our management team is committed to mentoring and motivating our employees to bring out their very best performance, but we still have our work cut out for us. As for products ... More

Weird I liked working here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My team, my manager, were great. Drew was awesome. My two backend devs were amazing. We had good chemistry I wish I could get back.

Cons

Senior management doesnt have their act together. I think they have the talent but the management is the weakest link.

Quit and let someone else run it.

Talented, Smart and Motivated Developers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TheLadders software engineering and data science teams at TheLadders are hard at work, day in and day out, to devise and deliver the best data driven tools and products to improve the careers of our users. Expect to work with smart, talented and motivated software engineers who are big on delivering solutions to complex problems. Plus, the company offers up to $3500 per calendar year for professional development (e.g. seminars, conferences, etc.) for our engineers.

Cons

The company could use more software engineers on their teams. However, we have hiring initiatives in place to make this happen.

Keep up the good work, but let's hire more good folks for our teams.

Career Advisor at TheLadders

Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- great people to work with
    - hire smart people
    - free snacks and company outings but started to become less and less

Cons

- company is constantly changing its mission and core focus
    - no room for advancement
    - management does not listen to its employees
    - management played favorites
    - pay was not good

Good people. Bad Management. Dumb Product.

I have been working at TheLadders (more than a year)

Pros

• Unlimited Vacation is great.
    • Work life/balance is much better than other jobs I have had.
    • Overall you get to work with really talented, intelligent people. There is a very warm and welcoming atmosphere when you start work here.
    • BluePrint juices in the kitchen and other tasty snacks.

Cons

• Office is an old dump. It's loud as hell around rush hour, the bathrooms are gross and the elevator is slow.
    • Projectors in the conferences rooms as opposed to TVs. WHY GOD WHY?!
    • Business/Product strategy is unclear and half baked at best.
    • CEO and founder are totally out of touch when it comes to what users want and need and are terrified of change. Product teams spend insane amounts of time catering to the impulsive changes and silly feature requests from the egomaniacal founders.
    • After all that, the product itself is garbage.

GET A CLUE. Let the talented people you hire do the jobs you hired them to do instead of micromanaging and meddling every step of the way. Stop holding these TLC propaganda festivals at quarterly meetings and Friday Forums - it makes the the company seem sad and desperate AND everyone can see right through it. No one cares about "The Voice of the Customer" or how Alex did in his last Iron Man. Start showing a little more interest and care in the people that work for you. You have a lot of awesome, dedicated people working for you, get the hell out of the way and give them the space to do something great.

First job out of college

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They reallly try to be competitive by offering some nice perks

Cons

Not sure about the direction the company is taking.

You'll come for the culture and leave because of everything else

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Kitchen is stocked with food. Worked with some great people on young, fun teams.

Cons

-Pay is terrible and they will just gloss over ever discussing yearly bonuses or yearly raises. Out of 4 years I got a yearly raise maybe once. The other years it just wasn't discussed. Yearly bonuses pretty much worked the same way unless you were in sales.
    -No room for advancement at all. Not some, but literally none.
    -Management doesn't understand or doesn't care about the concerns of lower workers.
    -Frequent changes to the company's aims, approaches, and even their motto. They rarely, if ever, give a new plan enough time to pan out but scrap it the second they think it should be returning them money. Rather than making sensible changes to things that work, they'll scrap it and have mass-layoffs. I've seen 3-4 massive layoffs here, with entire teams being cut. They must have changed their recruiter pricing 3 times in a year, and changed the product itself multiple times as well.

Pull yourselves together, give ideas more time, and make incremental improvements, not sweeping changes when things don't work out. Scrapping ideas constantly and coming up with new plans is why you're unable to find a strong foot hold in the market and you have a high turnover rate.