TheLadders Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Afloat in a sea of tough competitors

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits; generous with food and fun activities. Great location. Rewards people with generous monetary compensation packages. CEO is classically trained Harvard grad. All business.

Cons

There are several examples that exist at the top of the organizational pyramid where employees have been bullied and treated in demeaning ways (not physically harmed). There appears to be a protective shell that surrounds and insulates the "A-team" and "executive staff" from the rest of the employees in the organization. Somewhat secretive. Dubious. The CEO has an over-sized framed painting in his office of the French military and political leader, Napoleon Bonaparte. It's erie. Disturbing to those that understand the symbolic nature of such a conspicuous gesture. Company wishes to be perceived as an employer-of-choice to the millennial segment. Image and very "status conscious". Fluctuating market strategy. Always afloat. Never ahead or innovative. Dirty bathrooms. Very old building.

Advice to Management

Printing money is not real entrepreneurialism.

Good times, looking toward the future...

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

-Lovely group of people here. Smart, helpful unpretentious and super welcoming to all new hires -Lots of new tools and features in the works that address jobseeker and recruiter pains in new ways that are unmatched by competitors -Since all the leadership changes that have been happening there's a new emphasis on testing and experimenting with new ideas that would've been given the kibosh before -High level of professionalism and office decorum, without it being too stodgy. You can be yourself in a respectful environment. -Unlimited paid time off -Good food is a priority here -"Beer Halls" every week, a mashup of happy hour, town hall and team-wide update session -I love everyone in my department, especially the supervisors that I work with. -With the improvements to the product in recent months it really seems like the company is on a path toward becoming a more formidable competitor in the space.

Cons

-It seems like every week there's a new shakeup or resignation. It's alarming. I've been nothing but happy in my time here so far, but obviously there are morale issues. As much as I want to put roots down here, the crazy amount of turnover would give any sane person pause. -Not enough candor, in my opinion. I've seen a lot of instances where people have doubts about a strategy but will keep quiet or kvetch in private but don't step up and object to its implementation. I don't think this is healthy, but then again, I wouldn't want to be the odd man out on a limb. -People walk on egg shells around certain leadership figures*

Advice to Management

Seek out honest feedback, perhaps anonymously if unhappy workers aren't comfortable being honest to leaderships' face. Address the structural issues that are causing low morale and churn, but not with band aids or symbolic gestures (hint: we don't need more food and alcohol)

Great Engineering Culture!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!

Overall positive experience

Pros

Fun environment to work in with snack room and lunches every Wednesday & breakfast every Friday

Cons

the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees. Keeping up with competition as other companies are thriving

Advice to Management

Retain employees

First Full-Time Job Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I joined TheLadders right out of college and I am so glad that I did. I’ve been with the company for a while now and it has been a good experience so far. I’ve had the opportunity to work on many different projects and pick up various skills along the way. The kitchen is full of goodies and there’s catered lunch and breakfast every week. The offered benefits plan is excellent and I have a good work-life balance. More importantly, we are given the chance to work on meaningful challenges.

Cons

The turnover rate can be high depending on the department.

Advice to Management

Please work on retaining employees and nudging them to stay with the company. We have really talented workers that other companies may have their eyes on. Please do more to keep them.

Great experience - learnt a lot while building great experiences

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- was part of Agile, self-driving, highly motivated team to build products & features - building features for a high-traffic website with problems of scale - good management team letting engineers build innovative solutions

Cons

- Elevator - single elevator & it was slow - did not get many growth opportunities in spite of good projects/contributions

Advice to Management

No complaints or advice to management

Enjoying the experience, intellectually challenging and friendly environment...

Pros

I joined the company at the beginning of the year, and the experience has been positive so far. The company goes to great length in their on-boarding to ensure you have a smooth transition. The culture is welcoming and the people are smart, highly motivated, and very collaborative. There has been some senior management turnover since I arrived. However, new management has unified the team and empowered us to think big and build beautiful products that our users will love. The overall company strategy has been defined through careful evaluations and meetings with each product team and the employees are both empowered to make an impact. There is not a lot of bureaucracy and the pace of innovation has been accelerating. P.S. Working here also includes some generous perks like unlimited PTO, very good health care, a fully stocked kitchen, and catered meals on Wed / Friday.

Cons

Management and employee turnover can impact continuity. On the flip side management is committed to investing in the team and adding headcount across the organization.

Advice to Management

The more you empower and trust your team and the more your team will repay you by doing great things...

Shocked the company is still in business!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent direct report. Despite the lack of vision from senior management, my manager did a good job of focusing his team on what we could control.

Cons

Completely disconnected Sr. Executive team who offered absolutely no direction or sustainable business model. In addition, sales quotas were nothing more than a dart board approach of setting reps up for complete failure.

Advice to Management

You missed the boat and should have sold years ago.

Great team, lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people that are fun, kind, and pleasure to be around. Ample opportunities to learn and develop skills beyond what you were hired to do. Really talented team of engineers that have a wide array of experience and expertise.

Cons

If you're looking for a place where you can just phone it in, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff.

Awesome engineering culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, amazing benefits, and the company is starting to head in a really good and exciting direction. Moved to NYC from the west coast and haven't regretted it once.

Cons

The building elevator is slow. Honestly not a whole lot to complain about.

RSS Feed </> Embed