TheLadders Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
105 reviews filtered by

Amazing, talented and passionate co-workers!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

I work with some of the most talented professionals who are passionate about their work and fun to work with. You can't beat the people that make up TheLadders.

Over the course of my career at TheLadders, I've had the opportunity to try on many hats and learn much about the various facets of our industry and business. It's been a great education and helped shape my long-term career goals.

Cons

It's an incredibly fast-paced environment, and project plans and high-level goals can change quickly. If you have trouble handling change, this isn't the right place for you.
    Sometimes quality is sacrificed for speed of delivery.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone informed of major strategic changes and the rationale behind them so people will be behind those changes. Also, need better balance between speed of delivery and quality of service/product.

TheLadders!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great starting place to move forward in your career or to switch internally. I found that if you push yourself and show initiative, hard work can pay off. It also helps when there are a lot of great people around you who want to help.

I get to work with a great group of people who enjoy what they are doing and who want to help others along the way. It makes for a more enjoyable working atmosphere.

Really appreciate the unlimited vacation and food :)

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication and things can fall through if your manager doesn't spread the information around. I find that there is more of a focus on technology and focus drifts off of other parts of the company, which I think leads to discontentment among the different functions/groups of the company.

A company with a promising strategic vision in the first stages of execution and solid perks!

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals. We are expected to work hard and get the job done well, but also can find s support for work/life balance (along with unlimited PTO). If you are a person who is proactive and doesn't always wait for orders to prove how you can contribute to the company, you will do well here. Every other Friday we are briefed on company going-ons, work anniversaries, etc. There are also some interesting initiatives going on in the Mobile and Data Science space.

Cons

While most positions at most companies have some ambiguity in what they are expected to deliver, there is more of that ambiguity here than the average company. For some people it may be very tough to navigate while others are able to thrive and do well. Since the company has been undergoing a shift from internet consumer services to a more Data/Tech heavy platform, the culture/values of the company needs to be revitalized.

Advice to Management

Once a strategy or project is set in place, it should be implemented and followed-up with even more care and detail. Communications between all functions to achieve strategic initiatives should also be improved.

Run.

Former Employee - Job Search Advisor (the Name Changed At Least III Times) in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people and free snacks.

Cons

The company would hire huge groups of employees and then have massive layoffs only months after.

Advice to Management

Respect the individuals that are working for you.

"Your Career is our Job" HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free unlimited snacks and catered lunch/breakfast once a week. Fantastic benefits and salary. Work-life balance is very good. Working hours are supposed to be 9am-6pm, but you can pretty much walk in after 10am and leave at 5:30pm (nobody says anything!) while taking a 1-2 hour lunch on top of that. There are a ton of nice people there.

Cons

I just want to go on record by saying that once I started at the company, I truly believed that I was going to be there for a long time. However, it didn't take too long to realize that I made a horrible mistake in joining. Let's start with the office. The office is very dirty and in an old rickety building in SoHo. So, if you are a fan of a dirty office environment, then come work at TheLadders. The Leadership is HORRIBLE. The two people who founded the company (Alex Douzet and Marc Cenedella) made their money and now they don't really care about anything. They will speak in these 2 week Friday forum's but they truly don't believe what they are saying and you can tell that they are as fake as can be. Marc will talk about people's success stories from time to time but he's off doing his own side project while Alex is running the company (AHHHHHH). Alex seems smart, but believe me when I say that it's all a facade. Some of the things he says will just boggle your mind. There's also a lot of outlandish personalities that you have to deal with. One guy runs around all day screaming nonsense and even gibberish (he honestly scares me).

Advice to Management

Stand by your slogan and believe in it. Don't say one thing and do another. Treat EVERYONE with respect, not just upper management.

Toxic engineering environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's free food, quarterly company meetings in a nearby movie theater, lots of nearby subways, lots of smart people, good view.

Cons

Stressful environment with crazy personalities (in a negative way). Poor work-life balance. Loud, open office. Very negative reviews of the company can be found online, which I should have paid attention to.

Advice to Management

Rein people in.

TheLadders Response

Nov 25, 2014Senior Technical Recruiter

While TheLadders does have smart, talented and even sometimes quirky employees, our work life balance is very good. We have 40 hour work weeks, free lunches and catered breakfast, a fully stocked ... More

Short - sighted strategy and no real innovation has been TheLadders' real achilles heal.

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good people (individual contributors). Management and above are made to feel that they are important, but the actual reality is extremely short-lived.

Cons

No real innovation stunts the growth of current employees. Subscription base (job seekers) keeps TheLadders machine chugging along.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to its own managers let alone the "rank and file."

Could be great; severely misfiring due to leadership issues

I have been working at TheLadders full-time

Pros

-Free food
    -Good office location
    -Team camaraderie (occasionally)
    -Smart, talented people
    -Latest technology and equipment provided

Cons

-Painful lack of direction and long term vision for the company; leadership instills little confidence they know what they are trying to accomplish
    -Indecision and frequently changing priorities leads to frustrated, disconnected teams with very low morale or motivation
    -Poor process and cross-team communication leads to inefficiencies
    -Career advancement is basically non-existent
    -Questionable business model

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hire, you hired them for a reason.

Get organized; really understand what you're trying to do with the company and don't drive it off a cliff in the meantime.

Crap

I worked at TheLadders full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The snack room and lunch.

Cons

Management is too young and inexperienced. All the team lead and higher managers should really acquired more training and leadership classes.

Advice to Management

I feel you need to set priorities and raise your standards.

Great place to work; Great place to gain experience; Not a lot of room to move up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers. Always stocked kitchen, weekly lunches and breakfasts, flexible hours, unlimited vacation (when you can take it), training budget for classes/conferences, computer workstation setup (multiple monitors, aeron chair), company information is transparent, host meetups in office (with food and beers)

Cons

Employee Turnover and not filling the position. Communication between business units. Shifting focuses. Pretty flat organization hierarchy.

Advice to Management

If someone leaves the company, fill the position instead of having other employees work cross-function on roles. The communication between the business units needs improving. When one units work affects another downstream, their goals and projects need to be better aligned instead of working in a vacuum. There also needs to be a re-imagining or re-inventing of the company culture as we have shifted from a consumer-services to tech focused company. It's great, but it used to be excellent.