TheLadders.com

TheLadders.com Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

TheLadders.com Co-Founder and CEO Alexandre Douzet

Alexandre Douzet

Pros:
  • "Well stocked kitchen with killer coffee and a whole range of snacks for every taste and preference"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Free snacks and unlimited vacation for salaried employees"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant changes in strategy and controlling executive management team"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The senior management really needs to think decisions through and keep staff in the loop"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Some good, some bad

I worked at TheLadders.com full-time

Prosrelaxed fun company, perks were great until they lost their niche and focus

Conslong hours and a bit disorganized

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Awful, disorganized, unethical.. do not work here

I worked at TheLadders.com

ProsWell stocked kitchen, catered lunches and breakfast weekly, free iPad

ConsThis org is a shell of what it once was, The Ladders started out as the go to place for 100K careers and is now just a repository for old, dead resumes of members long gone. Poorly structured and unfocused management team, no HR support, the company ethos is CYA, employee development is nil and all product offerings are sub par. At least with Craig's List you know what you are getting. Both job seekers and recruiters are being scammed and misled everyday all day. If you like to lie and mislead people all day then this is the company for you, if you have any ethics or simply a SOUL work somewhere else. its not worth the aggravation

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what type of business you want to run and stick to it.
Revisit your mission statement

Terrible Morale is part of the DNA

I worked at TheLadders.com full-time

ProsIncredibly talented engineering team, with some of the highest caliber developers I've ever work with in my career. For product managers, project managers, designers, and marketing folk, it's a great experience just to work alongside such smart men AND women in the technology groups. Unlimited PTO (not that work/life balance lets you take advantage of that), once-a-week catered lunch and breakfast, good snack room, cool office space are other benefits.

ConsIt seems like groups are on rotation for getting singled out and shamed in front of the senior team and company. More focus is put on assigning blame versus encouraging creativity, which causes low morale and a toxic working environment. Frenetic goal setting and unfocused leadership objectives keep everyone constantly confused and uncertain about what shape the company is really in. There's zero customer consideration left as well, meaning the bulk of revenue comes from dishonest auto-renew settings- be prepared to get complacent with that reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some painfully obvious problems, no secret to anyone in the leadership. Fix them, or get comfortable with high turnover.

Resume Writer

I have been working at TheLadders.com

ProsGreat Kitchen. Some shining stars on the management team, usually they are the managers that are just as jaded as the employees not drinking the kool aid.

ConsHorrible pay! Many of the employees joked that if we didn't eat everyday from the office snack pantry, we would have probably starved to death. We were also severely overworked and HR turned a blind eye when it was illegal to pay certain employees hourly and not give them overtime. Terrible business practices where management encouraged employees to cheat customers to improve bottom line.

There was a meeting where management requested the writers to write 18-20 resumes per week with their data showing that it took approximately 3 hours to write a resume. One person from our team said "but if it takes 3 hours to write a resume and you try and write 18, then on average you will need more than a 40 hour work week to finish that quota." That employee was FIRED the next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire competent people and not just people who's main job is to lay off their teams.

I like TheLadders

I have been working at TheLadders.com

ProsFun atmosphere, room to move up in pay and position for top performers who work hard

ConsRegular company restructuring/refocusing - never feeling too secure in your job

Poor management, lacking vision, not doing well

I have been working at TheLadders.com full-time for less than a year

ProsFully stocked kitchen and catered lunches.

ConsThe managers do not know how to manage people, and they sometimes have unreasonable expectations. Do not work here in you want a life. There is no work/life balance. There are no reasonable goals--only the goals set by an out of touch CEO. TheLadders has a high turn over rate, because even the best gets burnt out. It's not a conducive atmosphere for healthy growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who truly are managers and who want to manage people.

Challenging place to work, not in a good way

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TheLadders.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnlimited PTO, good kitchen with snacks and drinks, and I think that engineers/programmers get a lot of respect and have a good work environment compared to the rest of the company.

ConsDirection, performance, and security. Seems like the company is always pursuing the next big thing, and never really getting there. Over the years TheLadders has become notorious for ballooning up then firing scores of people, which has led to a lack of stability and security in most job roles. The CEO is one of the founders, and runs the company as if he's the chief of every team, so the top down process can be very oppressive and dissatisfying.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hired smart people- empower them before they burn out and leave.

Forget advancement; why do we go to the bar on Thursdays; incompetent management...but well-stocked kitchen!

New York, NY

I worked at TheLadders.com full-time for more than a year

Pros- A job in a big city, like New York, may lead to better opportunities in the future...but only if you socialize/network out of the office.

- Open office enviornment

- Kitchen well-stocked with a plethora of snacks and drinks, even healthier options.

- You may not be able to prove your abilities to management, but you can prove your worth to yourself.

- My coworkers were very competent.

Cons- Management either micromanages or doesn't manage when they need to.

- Learn the chain of command or have your work stolen by management. (Hint: there is none, go straight to the people the changes will affect.)

- Not all employees treated equally: temps excluded from much of company culture because of employment status. They're not invited to parties, company picnic, talent show, etc. even though their contributions are crucial to the life of the company.

- Everyone celebrates end of week on Thursday (because of way job postings used to work) so forget socializing if you don't live within the general vicinity.

- High-schoolish/cliquey social structure

- Incomptence rampant in all levels of management: right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

- Boring, monotonous work you don't need a degree for, had to dig deep to challenge myself.

- Working remotely is pointless if the speed of said system only allows you to do half your work in a day.

- If you're older, you might be working for someone and around people younger than you. Prepare to eat humble pie.

- Dismal payrate

Advice to Senior Management- Learn to communicate effectively and properly

- Provide clear feedback

- Treat all employees equally and include all (even temps) in the company culture

- Compensate workers appropriately: equal pay for equal work

I liked TheLadders a lot at the beginning

I have been working at TheLadders.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people were friendly and allowed you to do your own thing without being micromanaged

ConsLived through 4 layoffs....management started to be less available and less communicative

Fun coworkers and great culture

New York, NY

I have been working at TheLadders.com full-time

ProsLots of swag
Awesome coworkers
Catered lunch every week and breakfast every Friday

ConsUpper Management has a tendency to micromanage when it gets down to crunch time, but once the storm has passed, it goes back to normal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax and let the people you hired do the jobs you hired them to do. If you can't trust them to make the right decisions then they probably shouldn't be in that position.

Worked for TheLadders.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TheLadders.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TheLadders.com CEO Alexandre Douzet. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by TheLadders.com employees.