TheStreet

Updated October 29, 2014
4.3

TheStreet President, Chairman and CEO Elisabeth DeMarse
Elisabeth DeMarse

Pros
  • Very good benefits package; good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• You also get to see Jim Cramer in the office (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No one seemed particularly happy, expectations were often unrealistic, feedback was only given when it was negative (in 3 reviews)

• Poor senior management; more driven by personality rather than sound business practices (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart Strategy in Tough Media Environment

Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for three and half years in TheStreet as a reporter. It is a great place for hungry, self-directed journalists with a passion for business writing and it has spawned many award-winning careers at the company and with outlets like the NYT, Reuters, Bloomberg, etc. On the editorial side, there are few constraints in covering a beat, which gives reporters a lot of freedom to run at the big stories of the day. It also means that there isn't much hand-holding.

CEO Elizabeth DeMarse came to TheStreet in 2012 to turn the company around using TheStreet.com to attract visitors and expand the company's brand, while subscription-oriented businesses like TheDeal and RealMoney to drive sustainable revenue. By my understanding, the strategy is working and the company is in a far financial better place than it was just a few years ago, underscored by the reinstatement of the dividend and recent acquisitions.

TheDeal is a trade publication that covers bankruptcy, M&A, distressed debt and private equity, often delivering major scoops like the IPO of Seamless.com and winning awards like Sabew, which was given to the entire newsroom. RealMoney is a subscription newsletter business for individual investors that leverages Jim Cramer's popularity and others like Dave Peltier and Stephanie Link.

TheStreet.com, the free site, is probably the part of the company people know best as it was one of the pioneers of online business news in the 1990s, spearheaded by Jim Cramer. But once other newsrooms like Bloomberg, WSJ and the NYT went online, it arguably came at the expense of TheStreet. Previous management at TheStreet also dealt poorly with that competition by making some disastrous acquisitions and ripping off portals like Yahoo and Google, alienating the site from SEO. The newsroom, won Loeb and Sabew awards, lost a lot of momentum.

But now TheStreet is profitable again, and the newsroom is in rebuilding mode under editor Janet Guyon and video director Ruben Ramirez. The TheStreet's brand has always been attached to independent-thinking, high-caliber investigative reporting and analysis that larger newsrooms may be too slow or credulous to offer, and that's where TheStreet.com intends to return.

In a time when being a "journalist" is an inherently risky endeavor, TheStreet is a place to consider for those who are self-directed, have something to prove and want to delve into the nuts and bolts of finance. The brand still has high currency within the business journalism community, and among sources and investors.

My understanding is TheStreet probably pays at a competitive rate when compared against the likes of Fortune, WSJ, Reuters for entry level reporters, and the benefits are very good, particularly the 8% 401k match. The offices are nice, there is a free pantry a 'la Bloomberg.

It is a pretty strong alternative option to wire reporting or trade publications.

Cons

TheStreet is a small newsroom that's supposed to punch above its weight, so there isn't much hand holding. The site also competes for page views against click-oriented places like Business Insider, and far better staffed newsrooms like the WSJ, Bloomberg. That often means working harder and smarter on stories to have an impact, which is very fun and rewarding, but can also be frustrating.

There also isn't much editorial direction in terms of marching orders. In a past day and age an editor might re-configure a story completely, have a schedule for reporters, or find contacts and scoops to push stories forward. Not so at TheStreet, it's all on the reporter.

Successful reporters like Adam Feuerstein and Herb Greenberg have proven that model, you just have to be very smart and hard working.

Hire more hungry journalists straight out of Columbia, Northwestern, UNC and NYU for a decent salary with benefits and give them free reign to report. Invest in revamping TheStreet's website.

Very rewarding experience, wish to work with the company in various roles

Current Employee - Office Services Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Services Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is very positive and friendly, and the departments are very structured. If you can prove yourself, the company will more than likely be able to place you somewhere in the company.

Cons

There is a constant cycle of new employees and employees separating from the company. There are cliques, which shouldn't be too surprising.

It seems like a few improvements are needed in terms of the computer network.

Good Opportunities If You Go After Them

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at TheStreet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong growth available if you are willing to go after it
    If you are a selfstarter you can shine here

Cons

Site content could be better
    Lack of editorial direction
    Weak employee retention, top people always leave

A fantastic learning experience

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to gain valuable experience rotating through several different business unit, including ad operations, business development, corporate development, and premium. It was great to get a holistic view of how a premium media company operates.

Cons

The culture can be a little sedate at times. For a financial company, it would benefit the company if more employees were more passionate about the markets.

Keep the vision!

Race to the bottom

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at TheStreet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe a good place to work for as a budding journalist, but the company doesn't think of itself as a "tech company" even though all the products are electronic. So it's all about cutting corners, cramming more ads into the pages, buying web traffic.

Cons

Everything -- used to be two weeks of earned vacation required CEO approval.

you are a tech company

Exciting, Fast-Paced Media Company at the Heart of the Financial World on Wall Street.

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, you are accepted right in to the fold and given meaningful tasks. The company, with a relatively new management team, has a clear strategy and mission moving forward. They will remain a relevant player in the digital media landscape as they continue to grow amidst significant changes in the media industry.

Cons

Office culture is interesting and dynamic with a newsroom-like vibe throughout the day (CNBC can be seen from every desk - which can be distracting!). Only other con in terms of culture would be that there is still some apparent division between individuals working at The Deal (a recent acquisition) and TheStreet but nothing overly hostile - just that the workflow is different so paths tend not to cross as often.

Continue the path you are on! Elizabeth DeMarse is a visionary leader and extremely compassionate and genuine with employees (especially interns - a program that she instituted and sees as a valuable part of the future of the company). Jim Cramer, well not in the office due to his busy schedule, is raw, compelling and honest in his interactions with employees and interns alike.

Administrative Assistant Internship

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Everyone is so friendly, they really care about their interns
    2. Interns get the unique chance to see how a successful business should be run !
    3. Supervisors give their interns enough work to keep them busy at all time
    4. The firm is very well set up everyone is efficient and experts in their assigned fields

Cons

1. Office is too quiet, almost stiff at times
    2. There should be more rotations so each intern can move desks every other week or two weeks

My internship at TheStreet was a phenomenal learning experience.

Current Employee - Business Development Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I worked right alongside employees who had been at the company for years. I got to watch their everyday routines and learn a lot from them. Everyone is approachable and friendly and also dedicated to helping the company succeed. People in upper management were attentive to intern needs/questions throughout their busy days. I enriched my knowledge of the journalism and finance industries--the informational sessions held for the interns were a huge factor in this.

Cons

The interns did not receive much training, we were simply just thrown into the job. While this was not a huge hindrance in completing intern tasks, I would hope that there is more time spent training full time hires who are new to this field of work. Things would get done more efficiently if people did not have to learn "along the way."

Literally too good

Current Employee - Equity Research in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equity Research in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I chose TheStreet's internship over an equity research internship at a bank in Philadelphia and was initially hesitant. But the ten-week internship was so much better than I could have expected. I learned so much about market dynamics, company valuation, and equity research from Dave, Jim, Stephanie, Jill, Dan, Jack, Nicole, Andrew, Ben--the whole team. Great experience to hear all these heavyweights on markets and individual stocks.

Cons

You need to get to the office pretty early in the morning, but that's about par for the course with any serious equity research internship.

Internship 2014

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

At the beginning of the internship my managers took time to teach me what they knew and teach me how to do the tasks they wanted me to do for the rest of the summer. I was surprised at the willingness and and want they had to teach us their breadth of knowledge. I learned a lot just from sitting in the department and hearing them talk and enjoyed their working environment. They were also straight forward with what they wanted.

Cons

The office is quiet most of the time and I would have enjoyed a more lively environment overall.

Encourage dialogue among different departments and even more constant communications within departments. I think that the company could benefit from more exchanging of ideas.