Theranos Reviews

Updated October 26, 2014
4.0

Theranos Founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes
Elizabeth Holmes

Great time to be with Theranos!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time

Pros

- Employee benefits (competitive salary, vacation days, free meals)
    - Being a part of a company that will revolutionizing the healthcare industry
    - Great environment with extremely friendly co-workers

Cons

- Fast-paced environment, but it's great to be kept busy that sitting around twiddling your thumbs
    - No 401k matching

Introduce 401k matching and stock the snack bars with more beef jerky please!

Realize your potential

Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Theranos was a great learning experience. The best part is the abundance of brilliant colleagues that surround you. Without any doubts, there are tremendous learning opportunities here that can drive your professional growth in the fast lane. The fast paced work culture puts you in a position where you are constantly pushing your limits and rediscovering what you are made of. For those who are not shy of taking ownership and increasing your responsibilities, company will readily provide you with necessary tools and resources. You must get used handling multiple high priority projects and delivering quality work in timely manner. Your positive attitude, dedication towards your work, and efforts are appropriately recognized handsomely rewarded.

Cons

They are upfront about their expectations from you in terms of putting in 60+ hours/wk. Most employees put in long hours and are often seen working over the weekends and during off days. In my opinion, you will not survive working here if you don’t truly draw enjoyment out of what you do. You will also have to be prepared for shifting priorities. Also, it might get hard to enjoy your days off sometimes because you will be thinking about your projects.

None at the moment.

Disappointing, misleading,terrible management!!!

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Theranos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are that you receive benefits from day one and the pay is above average.

Cons

Management needs to all be let go and new, better leadership be brought in. This is the worst job as far as management that I have ever had. No leadership, poor communication, favoritism game, no understanding, all management talks poorly about employees to other people. Ridiculous expectations with very poor, unprofessional training. The interview said one thing about the job itself, then once put in the field it was completely different. Things dont get communicated properly then once you make a mistake management gets upset. Company has no protocol if you stick yourself with a needle. Expected to bend over backwards and be beyond flexible with hours and going to all these different locations with little to no recognition and reward. And if you dont want to work 100 hours a week you wont be a favorite!

Need to communicate better and connect with employees regularly instead of throwing them out to the wolves and stop playing favorites!

place to make an impact on the world

Current Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

have been a scientist for 20 years and never felt that my works actually matters until I started working here. get to work on small teams on projects that are useful to the company. get to interact with CEO constantly. colleagues are dedicated and very passionate

Cons

challenging deadlines sometimes but it pushes me. Need more people and sometimes feel like team is understaffed

need to bring in more scientists and senior scientists.

Company on a mission

I have been working at Theranos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a 3+ year veteran at Theranos and truly look forward to working here for many years to come. The company and its leadership have created and quickly scaled an organization that allows for immense professional growth, creativity, and ownership of one's work. Since Theranos only hires top-tier software, operations, R&D, etc. talent, I'm surrounded by an incredibly dedicated and forward-thinking group of individuals who are hungry to make a real impact on this world. If you care deeply about what you make of your life's work, Theranos' mission is a true driving force and it inspires me day-in and day-out.

Cons

None, I have a flexible schedule and top-notch benefits

first job and happy for years

I have been working at Theranos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined fresh from college 3 years ago and have been happy here. part of a great mission and very inspiring company. it is very satisfying to go home at the end of everyday and know my work is making an impact.

Cons

current building is getting crowded. running out of space. also, company is growing too fast so a lot of things need to get done and sometimes things don't move as fast because there is so much to be done.

should move to new building now so we can grow. slow down recruiting perhaps.

Great potential!

Current Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at Theranos for over a year now and it is an amazing company to work for. It is exciting to work for a company with such a great leader in Elizabeth Holmes and it is clear that the company is heading in a great direction. Benefits of working at Theranos include free catered lunches, great pay, 4+ weeks of PTO and the list goes on.

Cons

Often times you will work over 40 hours a week, which isn't necesarrily a bad thing. The hiring process is a bit slow, hopefully that can be sped up.

Provide more options for employees to purchase or be awarded with stock in the company. It provides the employees with more motivation for the company to succeed and thrive.

So much potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive compensation. Good health/vision/dental/401K options (and more) for you and your family, plus life insurance provided by the company at no charge. Free meals served 3x per week, 7 days a week. Unlimited snack bars all the time and always very stocked. Can call security if you want take-out in the middle of the night. Fast-paced, highly productive, upbeat attitude throughout. Very personal because it's a startup. Can see the company growing each week, which is highly encouraging.

Cons

Hours can be long, but that's the story with any lab position. It goes by so quickly, I hardly ever notice. It's still a startup, which means there can be lack of organization. However, there are so many bright minds that the issue is noticed and resolved as quickly as it came up. It's exciting to watch things fall into place and be a part of the company solidifying.

None that I can think of. I'm very excited about the future of this company. It is headed in a good directions because upper management has such good motives.

Unorganized

I worked at Theranos full-time

Pros

Good pay, great coworkers on the bench

Cons

Not very organized, not a lot of feedback from management (they are all over the place), poor communication across the board.

Communicate with your employees more, hire more qualified candidates to help meet hard deadlines.

Very poor unprofessional managemrnt

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not a lot to really say other than a pay check. Mu co workers are great, but here only because they need their job.

Cons

No priorities. No decisions. No clear communication of where we are going. HR department is a mess. No support to hire open requisitions / resources.

BOD needs to replace all founders and executive management!