Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper

Marc N. Casper

Pros
  • Opportunities to work remotely offer flexibility for work-life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, employees who generally want to make a positive difference in the world(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has little regard for direct reports work-life balance(in 24 reviews)

• When colleagues don't like you and are in with upper management you're screwed(in 27 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They don't understand software

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood salary and benefits, with reasonable hours (at least for my team). I liked the people I worked with. The application domain (Gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer) was very interesting. Profitable and stable company.

ConsSoftware is still an appendage to hardware. software teams are splintered into small teams for each hardware line. Some poor coordination and mutual distrust between sites. Lots of process and politics to get anything done. Much energy was expended on looking good in meetings and to bosses. In process terms, they combine the worst features of agile and waterfall development.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate software organizations and appoint technical architects with the authority to kill bad products and force use of common standards and software. Hire some experienced, successful software leaders and really implement agile. Software teams need the power to refuse unreasonable requests. Cut back on meetings. Be realistic in estimates and scheduling.

Welcome to the Dollar Store of Science

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood rank and file coworkers.

ConsCompany behaves as if it's a small start up with zero cohesion across business units. Each division pretty much does it's own thing. There no real centralization of processes or policies. It's the most disjointed hot mess I've ever seen. In addition, in my entire working career I've never seen a science based company so totally unwilling to invest in infrastructure or R&D. The site I worked at I quickly found out they let a roof leak persist for 5 years so that when it would rain, staff would have to cover equipment and couldn't work in that lab space. 5 YEARS they let this happen before finally fixing the roof. The areas they call "labs" are also a joke. It's something you'd expect from a poorly funded academic lab, not a multi-national global company.

They also overtax staff, they are fond of heaping 2-3 people's worth of responsibilities onto one person and only pay you really about 2/3 the salary of one of those jobs. After seeing behind the curtain, I'll never look at Thermo or Fisher products the same way again.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to start investing in infrastructure and research if you want to innovate, attract and keep top talent. Stop acting like this company is a small start up. There needs to be consistent structure for a company of this size. This place was an utter joke and it doesn't take new employees long to figure how much of a joke this company is. I figured it out and got the hell out after just a few months as the issues here are just monumental and institutional. I feel sorry for any company acquired by Thermo Fisher.

Busy and stressful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople doing the work are great. Almost everyone is willing to help you, even if they are overworked. Lots of fringe benefits due to company size.

ConsWork life balance is a joke. Policy seems to be work the good people until they quit and hope the remaining people can pick up the work. Management not responsive to employee needs. For a science company, technology the workers use is extremely outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff appropriately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stagnant

Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere are a lot of cool technologies. There are some great people there.

ConsThere are a number of people who have been there for 30-45 years. They are not always looking out for the interest of the company. The company is not looking out for the interest of the workers. (it is publicly traded and has a very short term focus.

Many of the younger workers (under age 50) do not stay for an extended period of time in order to have a say in what goes on.

The managers have a great deal of power and do some things that are not ethical or legal. If you do not go along to get along you could find yourself out of a job. This is not all of the managers but it is well known what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. I would draw the comparison of a police force that looks the other way to avoid retaliation.

Now that two giant companies have joined it is a bit like working for the BORG. Innovation is a lot less valuable than compliance. You get paid and promoted based on loyalty and if you are not loyal.....your "teamwork" scores are reduced and you will slide toward the bottom and out the door. It is done politely but you should go in knowing that it is a bit like the military or the Department of Motor Vehicles. Turn the crank.....collect your paycheck and go home.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe humble. There are a number of opportunities to make things better. The first step toward making thing better is admitting that they are not perfect.

Thermo-Fisher-Scientific-CMD

Senior Test Technician (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThey best reasons to work for Thermo-Fisher Scientific was I thought a great organization to grow and retire from. Working there and seeing first hand it is not.

ConsInitially the management promised great advancement opportunities during the interview process. However the management changed and those promises were no longer honored.
    I enjoyed working with the seasoned staff that worked in the manufacturing area, that was short lived. They hired a new lead and that person ran those seasoned people off. The joy of working for that company was destroyed by this new lead who harassed and ruined I and other seasoned peoples names within that division, all because that person is insecure. This lead is trying to get rid of all the seasoned, older staff in favor of placing a younger and more inexperienced staff in its place. They are more than willing to rub your nose in how much money they made thanks to the employees efforts, but more than willing to tell you you do not deserve a raise and give no reason other than they did not do that well.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though that manuf. lead on the manufacturing floor is productive, that person will be your down fall. That person has run off employees with a collective experience of over 200 man years, most of it gained right there, at that site.

The cheapest company I have ever had the displeasure of working for

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIf you really want to learn to be nasty and manipulative, this is the company for you. You want to be a backstabbing, larcenous manager, excellent training here.

ConsThey screw the employees out of their raises every year. It is not the kind of company that cares about their employees. All they care about is rubbing your nose in their" we made a profit", but when it comes time for raises," Oh we're sorry but we cannot afford to give you a raise this year, better luck next year."

Advice to Senior ManagementThe economy is getting better, start expecting your employees to look else where for better greener pastures. Got some news for you, we already are.

Thermo is a big company only as a combination of small companies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmall company feel; you have influence over the way things are done

ConsHard to get opportunities without moving

Management is killing us

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYou are allowed plenty of time off and most groups do not have a problem with this aspect, but I've heard there is a different story in other parts of the division. Pay is decent and PTO is enough.

ConsUpper management breeds distrust between employees and managers. They have their own click and no one is allowed in. They hold jobs for unqualified people, so there is no upward movement for those not in the inner circle. People are promoted based on if they will tow the line, versus trying to make a better product. Managers frequently threaten to fire employees over small infractions that mean nothing and get away with calling employees "idiots" and "stupid" in front of their peers and other managers. There is no HR on site and the current representative is concentrated on moving to the legal department, so they could careless about what the employees need.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who becomes the site leader, as our site has decreased steadily once the current leader took over. This has had a profound affect on the moral of our site... it is in the toilet, but HR keeps saying it is because of the economy. Contrary to what our managers think, we are not stupid and do not buy into this.

Stuck in the mud.

Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYou need a paycheck. There were some great coworkers but the culture is stuck.

ConsAustin facility is full of people who do not want to change. There is a very clear split between the people who have been there awhile. Some have not been on a job interview in 45 years. Yes, you heard me right. Not been on an interview in 45 years. There are some very unethical things that go on that are largely a result of negative groupness issues and ignorance. "The good old boy network."

The list goes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is 2009 there are many things that have changed since the companies inception. The founders had a great deal of vision and risk taking. To grow and strengthen the company you need to lead it like the founders did. The company is being managed, sustained not lead. The boxes are checked off on Lean and other continuous improvement programs but the reality is that there is a very large gap between saying something and living it. Toyota lives it. Thermo justifies it.

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!