Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper

Marc N. Casper

Pros:
  • "Opportunities to work remotely offer flexibility for work-life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good benefits and starting salary, chance to rise up the corporate lader"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor opportunities for advancement, work/life balance is bad"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Upper management does not always understand the roles of reps in the field"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company overall, but can be stuck working in a silo.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsLots in innovation, cool products

ConsWork in a silo. People are nice once you get to know them, but normally people don't branch out. Sometimes don't find out about other related projects until way too late.

Wasting time money and human resources at amazing speed.

Products (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood benefits and pay, worked with interesting people on amazing projects (even if many of them were canceled before reaching customers). Was always something to do never a dull moment.

ConsLack of strategic follow through and "One Thermo" integration. They have all of the parts and no idea of how to pull them together and integrate them into a platform that enables the lab.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building the integration between business with software to simplify the labs experience. The website is still a disaster even after all the massive investments.

Welcome to the Dollar Store of Science

Austin, TX

ProsGood rank and file coworkers.

ConsCompany behaves as if it's a small start up with zero cohesion across business units. Each division pretty much does it's own thing. There no real centralization of processes or policies. It's the most disjointed hot mess I've ever seen. In addition, in my entire working career I've never seen a science based company so totally unwilling to invest in infrastructure or R&D. The site I worked at I quickly found out they let a roof leak persist for 5 years so that when it would rain, staff would have to cover equipment and couldn't work in that lab space. 5 YEARS they let this happen before finally fixing the roof. The areas they call "labs" are also a joke. It's something you'd expect from a poorly funded academic lab, not a multi-national global company.

They also overtax staff, they are fond of heaping 2-3 people's worth of responsibilities onto one person and only pay you really about 2/3 the salary of one of those jobs. After seeing behind the curtain, I'll never look at Thermo or Fisher products the same way again.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to start investing in infrastructure and research if you want to innovate, attract and keep top talent. Stop acting like this company is a small start up. There needs to be consistent structure for a company of this size. This place was an utter joke and it doesn't take new employees long to figure how much of a joke this company is. I figured it out and got the hell out after just a few months as the issues here are just monumental and institutional. I feel sorry for any company acquired by Thermo Fisher.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A job

Prospretty good benefits
    easy job
    overtime available if you want it

Conssometimes mandatory overtime, not a whole lot of opportunity to advance, small yearly raises

May be ok if you're used to large stuffy corporations. Otherwise, don't waste time.

Waltham, MA

ProsGood benefits. Many opportunities to transition between businesses given the size of the company

ConsCorporate office extremely political
    Stuffy and uptight atmosphere with C-level leadership extremely cold and removed
    Scarce promotions, no culture for timely performance rewards and proper motivation, promotions are often given only if the employee puts an outside offer on the table, major disproportion in rewarding leadership for a team effort, performance evaluations are a joke and are always done after your bonus or raise for the next year is long determined
    Increasing focus on cutting costs vs. innovation and smart risk taking
    Common to meet individuals with some nasty values at very high positions in the company, which makes you wonder about the overall values of the company
    Out of dozens of division presidents, no woman and 90% white

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that in order to be competitive in the long run, you need to change the culture within. Advertising an open culture can create a prettier image for the company, but word of mouth will always be more powerful.

Engineer

ProsChallenging work environment and great benefits

ConsNot much cons, people seem really nice and helpful

Overall a decent place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Frederick, MD

ProsPretty good overall benefits and pay. They offer a decent amount of freedom for the most part

ConsToo much work pointing in too many directions. It is hard to get all things done by tomorrow. They do offer a decent amount of freedom but expect big returns in a very short time.

The experience was lousy across the board - DON'T WORK HERE!

Rockford, IL

ProsSome coworkers were nice but still a very cliquish organization. High school clearly didn't end for most of them.

ConsThe management plays favorites and it's very obvious. You never feel valued there or that anything you do is really going to amount to anything. No motivation by management to succeed and no support - they set you up for failure. Takes forever to get a promotion and really the pay raise is very mediocre. Horrible location, horrible town. Don't even have this place on your radar.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to use positive reinforcement, not negative.

disappointing

Manager (Former Employee)
    Fremont, CA

ProsGlobal Brand and has good solid Products. Nice people to work with,

ConsAcquires small companies and does not integrate them. No actual company culture.

Director level Sales and Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReach and resources are available if there is a great case for the opportunity. Business units can reach across to other business units in the same market for contacts and introductions.

ConsThey are heavy on finance, lots of analysis and reporting, to the point of an opportunity cost against pursuing new business.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge managers to get the job done without constant layoff and hiring. In the layoff in which I was included three of the seven jobs "eliminated" were reposted within 90 days. Two of these postings carried the exact title of "eliminated" positions. This practice will catch up to you.

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!

Thermo Fisher Scientific Videos

Thermo Fisher Scientific – Why Work for Us?

Enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science. When you join Thermo Fisher, you become part of our global family of more than… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thermo Fisher Scientific reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thermo Fisher Scientific CEO Marc N. Casper. All 482 reviews posted anonymously by Thermo Fisher Scientific employees.