Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper

Marc N. Casper

Pros
  • Opportunities to work remotely offer flexibility for work-life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, employees who generally want to make a positive difference in the world(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has little regard for direct reports work-life balance(in 24 reviews)

• When colleagues don't like you and are in with upper management you're screwed(in 27 reviews)

Fairly Positive

Information Technology (Former Employee)

ProsSelf managed. Variation of job duties. Nice Salary and benefits package.

ConsNo clear goal for moving forward. Leadership does not listen to productive input.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe goal should be to consolidate thus reducing costs for I.T. Started over 10 years ago and they have yet to materialize the vision.

Company is making big strides, but could use improvement with employee recognition/diversification

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, very competitive pay, well recognized and respected company, PPI implementation is benefiting the company in many ways

ConsVery report heavy which takes away from customer facing activity, upward mobility can be challenging, work life balance should be improved. At times senior/product management is out of touch with the realities of the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on career advancement and listen to employees more. Show that you value those that work for the company

Corporate life at ThermoFisher Scientific

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe largest benefits from working at TMO include the benefits, resources, training support, location, lattice / ladders of growth opportunities, time off, equipment, culture. The people and associates are also very nice - never worked with such a talented group.

ConsWork life balance is not their strength - especially in more corporate settings. Long days (10-12hours) are the norm, and weekends will get book often. Within IT specifically, its can depend on leadership and a balancing act.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to support more round tables and skip level meetings; communication often gets distorted and real root cause of issues are lost when solely depending on middle management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Collection of City States

ProsI good company. There are many employees with long tenure and they drive PPI through all businesses not just operations. Very financially savvy and link strategic ideals to long term financial viability. A great place for "Big D", development oriented, scientists. Opportunities to find different cultures amongst the differently managed businesses

ConsThere can be some inconsistency and lack of coordination amongst the businesses. There are plenty of opportunities to build value if these silos can be navigated. Also most of Thermo Fisher is a value business and not high growth. For the scientists that are "Big R" there are difficulties in aligning with the "grind it out" culture. There are plenty of opportunities for innovation, they just come in different forms.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is already working through ways to apply an investment portfolio approach to the businesses that will allow for the integration and funding of new technologies as well as supporting existing value businesses. This is difficult territory especially with the VERY different culture of the new LSG. Care and intensive cultural reviews should accompany the strategic review processes going forward.

It was a company to retire with but reputation is changing, for the worse.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

Prosgreat paycheck,
    mostly a good colleagues to work among

ConsManagement has little regard for direct reports work-life balance.
    You can never say "NO" even if your health, family & life is being adversely affected; It will cost you your career.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove overall work-life balance by vacation carry-over
    Service contracts for Aria have no typical consumables exclusions; Burlington, NC R&D management customers are severely taking advantage of this and ruin service contract profit margin. Thermo management is knowing allowing this abuse. They with Thermo Management are also vilifying any FSE that supports them, so... New or any FSE BEWARE !!!

Big name company with

ProsThermo Fisher is a big company with OK benefits. The work-life balance is very good. Hard work and dedication is recognized.

ConsThe site has a flat structure, which means there is limited promotion opportunities. Timelines are often compressed which results in stressful environment, especially when plans keep changing.

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI had a really nice manager and really wonderful colleagues

Consmanagement was all the way in Vantaa so it was a bit off hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.

Provided organization and methods to simplify projects that had been debacles until my ingenuity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Franklin, MA

ProsThere were some very nice people there and the cafeteria was great. For a little while we were able to do yoga in the conference room on Mondays during lunch. (Who doesn't need yoga on a Monday?) It was pretty close to home. When I got more and more calls from he school about my son, I was only half an hour away so I could race to go get him or find out what the problem was that time.

ConsI really didn't feel like the training was effective. We took courses on on programs that I never used in my daily work, so I promptly forgot the information. I feel like upper management has an agenda that the rest of us are not included in. It is a very fiscally driven company and those of us who work there are just cogs in the machine. They talk a lot about work life balance, but there is no such thing in the finance department. The people there have either been there for 30 years or cannot make it for 5 years. What does that tell you? I saw all of middle management dismissed for no apparent reason while I was employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people who are on your teams. There are a lot of different ways to manage. You could crack the whip from behind, tell us all what we're doing wrong, or come at a goal from a team approach. I understated that the entire country is having to do more with fewer people to help out, but please know that this how burnout happens. People are not a means to an end. That was the feeling at Thermo. To the upper management, and some of the middle management, please remember that. You do not have that skill at all.

Stepping stone

ProsGood benefits, employees who generally want to make a positive difference in the world

ConsLow pay/raises, poor intra-company communication

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people more autonomy in getting the job done and reward them when they excel

If you think they care about people- THINK AGAIN!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy co-workers are generally, great! Other than the management, the employees are hard working, goal oriented, team players! Another pro, if you are looking for a job in management, they come up a lot! They don't keep the same ones long!

ConsIt has been said before, but YOU HAVE NO VOICE!!! This location started out as Invitrogen, employee friendly, family oriented, caring, environmentally responsible, leader in the bio tech industry. It is now a company of number crunchers with little to no consideration of it's employees below the management level! You will always feel that your job security is threatened! Not uplifting moral!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a crap!! Listen and really care! Recognize your employees! Reevaluate your management!!! Give back employee bonuses, not steal their moral! The managers are nothing without the team they manage!!!

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!