Thermo Fisher Scientific

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Pros
  • Opportunities to work remotely offer flexibility for work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, employees who generally want to make a positive difference in the world (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has little regard for direct reports work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• When colleagues don't like you and are in with upper management you're screwed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of potential for improvement...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and likeable people overall. Feels good to know you are working for a company that has direct impact on healthcare and medical research. Company compensates well (at least the legacy Life Tech side).

Cons

Not enough information sharing. Very siloed. There is no cohesive company "story" or mission to invigorate employees post-acquisition.

Lead by example, be more transparent, and develop your people. Ask them what they want to do and give them the tools to make it happen without micromanaging.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Communications Leader  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Leader in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities, compensation, flexibility, challenging work with a higher purpose. Thermo Fisher Scientific is a leader in the sector and is driving innovation in the industry. The mission of the company provides the opportunity for candidates and employees to feel fulfilled and know that their work has a higher purpose. The size and scope of the organization offers candidates and employees a range of opportunities that they may not be able to find at other companies.

Cons

The company has a very matrixed org structure. It's great if you work remotely (the lack of physical presence is not a career inhibitor in the way it would be at other places).

Keep pushing the team to focus on brand building externally to broaden the outside view of the company as a great place to work and to do business with.

A dynamic, ever-changing landscape built on very stable foundation.

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

There's an air of willingness to listen to new ideas, accept new technologies and advances while still staying true to time-tested processes before implementation. Very thoughtful way of implementing change for such a large company. There are several different, branching career opportunities to explore, especially due to global presence and the varied businesses therein.

Cons

Training programs could stand some unification and standardization. There are significant efforts in certain areas/business units to keep employees on the cutting edge of their respective fields, but that scope should be broadened to all employees. As a company, we should be constantly striving to be better than anyone else at our jobs (not just competent) no matter what those jobs are or where. We should be the company to which others compare themselves.

The methods of communication, whether it be written word, video, conference call or in person is often too carefully worded, too general, and too one-way. Understandably, an employee can't expect to find out all the juicy details about a particular acquisition, new product launch or high-profile departure, but I'd rather listen to silence than spin. If every one of these "information downloads" were half as long as they were originally scheduled, they'd be twice as efficient and ten times more sincere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good oopportunity

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

Large company with great benefits and opportunities.

Cons

A bit impersonal and cold. Not great for those seeking warmer and more personal environment.

Fantastic Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, very relaxed atmosphere, though things can get chaotic during product deadlines. The people are great, the managers are very personal. Very competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

It's still a MASSIVE company, so it has massive company problems. IT orders take months when it's faster to just run to Best Buy and buy your computer upgrade for yourself. Plans need to crawl up the command chain before they can get approved, a process which takes a while.

Try and let certain branches have a bit more flexibility with their management styles. Let different sites experiment and see what works.

Customer Service representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My co-workers were fabulous! Company values were awesome and the benefits were amazing. i LOVED my job!!!

Cons

raises are very very small. There was little room for advancement.

Thermo Fisher is a great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay with good benefits for the Rochester Area

Cons

It seesm all the new managements jobs coming up in Rochester are going to Outside candidates. Not promoting within the orgainzation

Promote more people from with that have spent the time here and are qualified for the job, they are dedicated

Okay company, not great benefits

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

Good PTO policy
    Decent Pay not great.

Cons

Could pay more
    Could use better direction from management
    Health coverage is expensive
    Work life balance could be better

ThermoFisher

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great Team Environment and work Balance

Cons

Sometimes over worked and under appreciated

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for your review. We hear your comments and we welcome your opinions. We're glad to hear your pros and optimistic that the cons can change.

Four "I's", but "Intensity" is the important one!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked at the Pittsburgh office, where I was supervised by reasonable, fair people for most of my day-to-day work. Resources for the work I was assigned were generally available, and assignments given to me generally came with clear instructions or room for me to use my own judgment.

Cons

Thermo Fisher expects an intensity from its employees that turns work-life balance upside down. At one point in my department of a few dozen people, only two of us had school-age children. The rest were singles or parents of older kids. It's a great place to start a career--lots of chances to build skills and make contacts--but maybe not the place for you if you are building a family.

Seriously address work-life balance. Letting an employee take laptop home for the weekend can't be the extent of flexibility in this department. I loved the work I was doing, but my hours were becoming untenable.

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!