Thermo Fisher Scientific

Updated August 24, 2014

2.8

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Pros
  • Opportunities to work remotely offer flexibility for work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, employees who generally want to make a positive difference in the world (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has little regard for direct reports work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• When colleagues don't like you and are in with upper management you're screwed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My co-workers were fabulous! Company values were awesome and the benefits were amazing. i LOVED my job!!!

Cons

raises are very very small. There was little room for advancement.

Okay company, not great benefits

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

Good PTO policy
    Decent Pay not great.

Cons

Could pay more
    Could use better direction from management
    Health coverage is expensive
    Work life balance could be better

Thermo Fisher is a great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay with good benefits for the Rochester Area

Cons

It seesm all the new managements jobs coming up in Rochester are going to Outside candidates. Not promoting within the orgainzation

Promote more people from with that have spent the time here and are qualified for the job, they are dedicated

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ThermoFisher

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great Team Environment and work Balance

Cons

Sometimes over worked and under appreciated

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for your review. We hear your comments and we welcome your opinions. We're glad to hear your pros and optimistic that the cons can change.

Four "I's", but "Intensity" is the important one!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked at the Pittsburgh office, where I was supervised by reasonable, fair people for most of my day-to-day work. Resources for the work I was assigned were generally available, and assignments given to me generally came with clear instructions or room for me to use my own judgment.

Cons

Thermo Fisher expects an intensity from its employees that turns work-life balance upside down. At one point in my department of a few dozen people, only two of us had school-age children. The rest were singles or parents of older kids. It's a great place to start a career--lots of chances to build skills and make contacts--but maybe not the place for you if you are building a family.

Seriously address work-life balance. Letting an employee take laptop home for the weekend can't be the extent of flexibility in this department. I loved the work I was doing, but my hours were becoming untenable.

Disappointed by what could have been a great employment situation.

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are above average, 6% match to investment (at that time), cafeteria was very good, and I met some wonderful people...and some less than wonderful people...most of them in higher ranking positions.

Cons

Training was sporadic, there was no learning curve allowed, the low man on the totem pole always got the cast offs from the management level. Work life balance was a big thing there and absolutely nothing was actually being done about it. Meeting after meeting and yet we were still asked to work harder without daring to go over 40 hours and with fewer people in department to complete tasks.

Understand your people. Be sincere about it, not hollow with 10 minute meetings that are just taking away from productivity. Do not be so focused on the next opportunity to be first to change the industry that you forget who actually does the work to make the changes. You're publicly traded. Don't take a market downturn out on the folks who show up and bust their rears for the good of the company every day

Political and Bureaucratic Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large Organization
    Strong Corporate Leadership
    Global Presence as a Giant

Cons

Very poorly managed businesses around cultural aspects
    Extremely difficult for a change agent
    Highly unethical practices by employees who resort to heinous complaints against change agents to get them off their way
    Incapable business leadership teams that cant make any changes or challenge status quo
    HR is very weak and falls easily for cheap employee tactics

If you want to drive a strong growth via capable leadership to drive change, change your HR policies to reflect the vision
    Presenting multiple slides of power points is not the 'Change'. Take a deeper dive into what is going on at site levels and business units..You will be amazed how ridiculous and vicious practices are being practices and supported.
    You will have to do a LOT to become world's most admired companies to work for

Fairly Positive

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Self managed. Variation of job duties. Nice Salary and benefits package.

Cons

No clear goal for moving forward. Leadership does not listen to productive input.

The goal should be to consolidate thus reducing costs for I.T. Started over 10 years ago and they have yet to materialize the vision.

Company is making big strides, but could use improvement with employee recognition/diversification

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, very competitive pay, well recognized and respected company, PPI implementation is benefiting the company in many ways

Cons

Very report heavy which takes away from customer facing activity, upward mobility can be challenging, work life balance should be improved. At times senior/product management is out of touch with the realities of the industry

Focus more on career advancement and listen to employees more. Show that you value those that work for the company

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Aug 19, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the honesty in the concerns you bring but also are glad to hear what your pros are.

It was a company to retire with but reputation is changing, for the worse.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great paycheck,
    mostly a good colleagues to work among

Cons

Management has little regard for direct reports work-life balance.
    You can never say "NO" even if your health, family & life is being adversely affected; It will cost you your career.

improve overall work-life balance by vacation carry-over
    Service contracts for Aria have no typical consumables exclusions; Burlington, NC R&D management customers are severely taking advantage of this and ruin service contract profit margin. Thermo management is knowing allowing this abuse. They with Thermo Management are also vilifying any FSE that supports them, so... New or any FSE BEWARE !!!

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!