Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper

Marc N. Casper

Pros:
  • "Some departments have it figured out and some don't with regards to work-life balance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Good benefits, flexible working hours, good products being manufactured"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor opportunities for advancement, work/life balance is bad"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper management does not always understand the roles of reps in the field"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Aggressive company, good benefits, but very focused on shutting sites down and consolidating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThermo is an aggressive company that is always looking to grow, and to improve its operating processes. The benefits are good, and the company has (or at least had) a drive to be an "Employer of Choice".

ConsThermo tends to acquire small-to-medium size companies, which are tough to integrate into one corporate or divisional structure. This can lead to a lot of stress and unpleasantness, as businesses are often "force-fed" to get them integrated. An even bigger problem is that, like so many other modern corporations, they shut down a lot of smaller or more recently acquired sites. As a result of these challenges, the working atmosphere is often stressful and demoralizing. Take Thermo's own advice, and manage your own career. Don't wait for them to manage your job away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up the "Employer of Choice" drive by caring about the employees you already have, not the "outside experts" you want to hire. If employees are poor performers, there are ways to deal with this. I saw far too many good employees become demoralized when I worked for Thermo.

Depends on what you're looking for ...

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThermo Fisher has a very structured environment, which can be good for some people. The starting salaries are decent. If you have a good manager to help filter things, it can be a nice place to work. It's a very stable company and I feel like the CEO wants to do right by the employees. The benefits are also good.

ConsUnfortunately, even though the CEO has the right idea, that doesn't always trickle down correctly. Some of the managers there are horrible, and they hardly ever seem to let anyone go. The manager I worked for before I left had 13 people leave her department since she had taken it over, that's 13 people in less than a year's time. In the four years I was there, I had eight different supervisors. The pay raises are very poor (1-2% for slightly above average performance), and a lot of the managers give you poor performance appraisals to justify not giving raises. Because the company is so huge, there are a lot of people who don't do their work and the size of the company makes it easy to blame others. If you know how to "manage up" you will do well in the company. Nearly impossible to get a promotion unless you suck up people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's very difficult to manage a company of this size. If you want the talented employees to stay, you need to give decent pay increases. I had above average scores and still got bad pay increases. HR needs to look more closely into the causes for people leaving, especially turnover is well above average in some departments. You have a lot of good, smart people working for you. There needs to be a better way for them to communicate with upper management.

Good Company to work for

Engineering Technician (Former Employee)
Bristol, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than a year

Prosgood salary good Benefits and PTO team environment

ConsLittle chance to move up in company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees of what direction the company is going try to be more transparent and not hid anything from the employees honest goes a long way.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The world leader in serving science (not doing science).

Scientist (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA steady job, matching 401K contributions, decent health insurance. The company will have longevity due to its business model (buy successful companies, sell the products someone else created, lay them off when the product obsolesces).

Cons1% raises are standard. With the published rate of inflation being 3%, ones spending power diminishes over time. If you want a raise, move on after a few years (at least to another department).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour business model does not inspire innovation or loyalty. Your company is great for people who lack ambition.

Fast-paced, but rewarding

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Frederick, MD

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pace is extremely fast and a lot is expected of you. Expect to take on multiple projects but get rewarded handsomely for success

ConsManagement sometimes out of touch with how to move fast and what's possible in a big company. If there are barriers in the way, you are expected to do the heavy lifting to remove them. Disconnect in goals between operations and business makes this difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the barriers from a higher level. Do not expect junior staff to take on big problems because often they do not have the influence or authority to do so.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific

ProsGreat people, great environment, low stress work place. There were tasks in many fields I got to partake in which was nice. Learned alot about engineering and management.

ConsThere really were not many cons. The plant I worked at was quite small. The people in the lab worked together while the engineer was off to the side. It would be nice to have more interaction at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere can be too many leaders and no followers. Managers need to know when to listen to other managers when its not their field of expertise.

Managerial help with internal position movement or promotion is lacking

Waltham, MA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Prosstable organization in a great, growth industry.

Conscommunication issues abound. requests for change improvement go unanswered or are ignored or overlooked. Due to multiple acquisitions over the years, it doesn't feel like it is operating from corporate, but it still feels like many different organizations running themselves instead of working together. there is rampant duplication of all things due to the lack of communication structure.

Overall, good company. But, to be successful and respected, work is expected to come first

Director of Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Field based employees have considerable flexibility and tools. Quality employees (colleagues) are the norm. Large employee base, and global office footprint allow for considerable opportunity IF willing/able to relocate. Stable, growing company. Very broad and deep portfolio to offer customer base.

ConsWork life balance (high quality employees get bulk of heavy lifting because they are good and effective). Stagnant middle management (band IV/V) in some business units. Rapid growth via acquisition leads to company not being fully aligned or efficient. Having both direct selling business units + a distribution model (Fisher), business unit goals don't align and causes confusing and mix messaging to customer base. Company has a value proposition that is yet to be implemented; lack of holistic thinking across business units and parochial thinking causes a lot of internal focus, vs. focus on the customer. Promotion can be difficult; employees tend to be pigeon-holed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild compensation plans in a way that supports employee activity and support to the vision and mission - remove internal competition around products and channel to the market. Enforce more holistic TFS view to band V managers and enforce training to their teams. Lots of lip service to the value prop, but its not being enforced once band V mgrs walk out of a meeting with band VI mgmt. We can offer so much more to the marketplace if teams are well educated and compensated to think and act more holistically to our full range of capabilities.

Decent job, other important factors to consider

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTuition reimbursement program is awesome! Good benefits. Salary okay. It is a stable job and co- workers are fun to work with. You will learn a lot on the job.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are difficult to obtain and rely mostly on networking or just lucky timing (nobody wants it or they need it filled fast) Internal job openings - they will let you know they have someone already in mind so why apply. Asking upper management for advice on how to advance they will tell you - "Well, you may have to look elsewhere to gain the experience, we don't have the capacity to train".

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly Performance Management Development plans - please have those plans be a road map to actually get somewhere instead of being something that just have to be turned in on time.

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge organization with great benefits. Internal job board makes opportunites readily available and you are encouraged to utilize to advance your career. Great place for a young person to start and learn working for a large organization.

ConsCompany is in constant change creating an atmosphere of nervousness and uncertainity. Due to size communication can be a lacking and frustrating. Turnover is large, especially at higher levels of management. Due to single name branding of TMO, you are associated with all products and can affect customer perception- Good & Bad!

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!

Thermo Fisher Scientific Videos

Thermo Fisher Scientific – Why Work for Us?

Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thermo Fisher Scientific reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thermo Fisher Scientific CEO Marc N. Casper. All 419 reviews posted anonymously by Thermo Fisher Scientific employees.