Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews

Reset
1.0
Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Pros
  • The work-life balance is very good (in 29 reviews)

• Great pay with good benefits for the Rochester Area (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Thermo Fisher expects an intensity from its employees that turns work-life balance upside down (in 32 reviews)

• Constant turnover in upper management (in 29 reviews)

1. review

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chesterland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chesterland, OH

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

profit sharing was very well put together

Cons

extremely poor communication from Mgmt to field sales

Had High Hopes

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

Networking, Ability to see growth

Cons

Takes weeks to receive important information - Technology is very far behind, not what you'd expect from such a large company - Company cares more about executives than other members of the company - Thermo Fisher adopted GE's performance management ideals and continues to not give 20% of the workforce a raise. Managers are forced to pick employees who have met all of their goals. - Workload is insane - Very bureaucratic - Sexist - men receive better job offers and raises for women. In HR, I saw this many times. - Promoting from within is all well and good, BUT, Thermo Fisher has a tendency to promote those who do not have the experience for the role - Poor pay practices, strive to be in the 20th percentile, but still expect to hire quality employees -VP/GM would not sit in the cafeteria with employees because he "brings his lunch," that is a poor excuse for a leader. Get involved and meet your employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, pay fairly. Get the President out to meet employees. In my two years, I never met, or even saw, him in person.

3. This place used to be good to work for, not anymore!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Lawn, NJ

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Co-workers who make work enjoyable. Lower management individuals understand their employees and the overall department needs.

Cons

Upper management is horrible, they spend more time creating drama within different departments than working on hitting the yearly goals. They do not give their employees PMDs on time then penalize the employees for not "Holding them accountable", however if you ever do hold the upper management accountable the write you up and threaten your job. Horrible pay, expected to work crazy hours with no compensation, if you can not work the extra hours then you are written up. They love to promote incompetent people, they also hire people for global leadership positions who have no leadership skills, or even a credible background. No room to grow within this division

Advice to Management

Fire all and start over with people who will actually be leaders. Stop wasting time on having lower management fill out graphs and charts and allow them to actually manage their teams!

5. do not work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fox River Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fox River Grove, IL

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job. If you land in the right position, it can be very good. Otherwise, watch out.

Cons

Worst mid-management ever. Clueless because tha'ts all they know; management.

Advice to Management

promote from within the groups. management has no idea what its doing.

Training Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses for performance were paid based on how you actually delivered. This worked well as a positive incentive for improvement.

Cons

Every time the company started to lose profits the employees bore the brunt (time off without pay, layoffs, spending cuts, etc.). However, production quotas never lessened when these things took place.

Advice to Management

Stop the meetings and the two hour long "town halls". Go out and talk to your employees face to face.

Be careful

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great talents Strong scientific expertise Tradition of making high quality products

Cons

Lack of teamwork emphasis. Toxic environment in some groups Need to watch your back Coworkers generally don't trust each other

Advice to Management

Review ethics and behaviors more closely, and intervene to promote higher quality corporate culture. Currently it is in very poor shape

8. Horrible management structure

Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well, initially. Don't count on internal growth opportunities.

Cons

Management Team does not make data driven decisions, often times you are reporting to a person that has not experience in the business unit your work in.

Advice to Management

Hire SME's and listen to them.

Terrible Place to Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this place.

Cons

After notifying the company I was not returning to work, the recruiter called but I did not responded. Soon after, I receive a letter from Thermo Fisher Scientific stating that I was being fired. Thermo Fisher Scientific, I will never allow my family members and friends to work for you, EVER!! I was never notified the hours I was going to work for until the day of orientation and first day of work. I resigned due to the following: >No breaks if you are behind, a coworker told me usually no brakes were taken during the shift. >If you do not finish your work on-time you have to stay until you do. >My last day, a member a management threatens to write up all the staff in my area due to a mistake one individual made with the material. First off, I did not take a brake the last day I work for this company, “Federal law also requires employers to pay for short breaks an employee is allowed to take during the day. Breaks lasting from five to 20 minutes are considered part of the workday, for which employees must be paid" (NOLO, Law for All). Second, threatening employees for something they did not do is ILLEGAL!! "Employees and supervisors may not threaten or intimidate another employee or engage in unwelcome physical contact of any kind"(Lawyers.com). For this reason, I refuse to work for a place like Thermo Fisher Scientific, this is not a friendly environment to work for. I do not recommend anyone to work for this company.

Advice to Management

You should be careful on who you put in leader ship position. Management is in charge of the company's future and the behavior that was exhibited to me was not only unprofessional but is consider illegal.

Global Chemicals

Former Employee - Site Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ

Pros

The name looks good on your resume since it is a 17 billion dollar company and well known

Cons

DO NOT ACCEPT A JOB HERE!!! The well known name is a trap. The Global Chemical division is the bottom end of the Thermo Fisher totem pole and it is very apparent from work culture to management skills to dire office conditions. Management only cares about profit and not the quality of material. Constantly sending out poor quality material to our customers. Which makes sense since no one in upper management has any chemistry experience. "Employer of Choice" is the biggest joke. No one listens to employees wants, concerns, or needs. It was the absolute worse work culture I have ever worked in. A cut-throat setting where you get written up for everything, you are not free to talk to employees in other departments without being reprimanded, and you will get thrown under the bus the minute you drop the ball. 0 chance to grow in this company, There is no career or self development options. They will use you up and throw you out before you ever get any recognition or promotion you deserve. There is a huge disconnect between Upper Management and the work force that drives a low morale. Compensation is not comparable. Also no raises or bonuses. HR makes up lies to solve complains to make sure no upper management ever gets blamed. They will cover up their unethical acts no matter the cost. Also very rude to pregnant women. Cafeteria food is disgusting and will make you sick!

Advice to Management

Fire all of the GCLT... and maybe do some more stringent background checks in the future

Run

Pros

Good benefits Easy job Always a company party

Cons

No fairness Judgmental Political Your treated like your dumb unless your management

Advice to Management

Don't be so racist Hire new human resource Get to know Managment more Secret work relationships Stop being so judgmental Your Production managers are racist they discriminate against the minorities

RSS Feed </> Embed