Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews

Reset

1. Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern

Pros

This internship is very structured and well presented. All of the people that you work with are happy to help you and the projects they have you work on have an actual impact on the company. The upper management is very inviting, having taken time out of their day to meet with all of the interns.

Cons

You are required to attend a bunch of teleconferences that don't apply to you at all (example, I am a summer intern and I had to attend an hour and a half long webinar about HR changes that will take place in October). I dread getting emails from the university relations people because it's just another thing that I'm required to do that takes valuable time away from me doing actual work for my supervisor.

Advice to Management

I understand all of the inclusive actions that are being taken, but I feel like it's a little extreme. Also, at this specific site, the computer that I'm given does not have the necessary specs to run some of the CAD systems effectively. I mean, it works, but just slowly and laggy. I would suggest trying to upgrade your hardware.

2. Project Management Intern

Current Employee - PMO Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - PMO Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Less than a year)

Pros

They do a lot for their interns; having leadership seminars, providing access to employee resource groups, and opportunities to meet senior management. Helping each other succeed is part of the culture here, and is a big part of why I would recommend applying to Thermo Fisher Scientific

Cons

Its a huge company with sites spanning around the globe, which sometimes makes communicating with others/ finding a specific contact a bit difficult

Had High Hopes

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

Networking, Ability to see growth

Cons

Takes weeks to receive important information - Technology is very far behind, not what you'd expect from such a large company - Company cares more about executives than other members of the company - Thermo Fisher adopted GE's performance management ideals and continues to not give 20% of the workforce a raise. Managers are forced to pick employees who have met all of their goals. - Workload is insane - Very bureaucratic - Sexist - men receive better job offers and raises for women. In HR, I saw this many times. - Promoting from within is all well and good, BUT, Thermo Fisher has a tendency to promote those who do not have the experience for the role - Poor pay practices, strive to be in the 20th percentile, but still expect to hire quality employees -VP/GM would not sit in the cafeteria with employees because he "brings his lunch," that is a poor excuse for a leader. Get involved and meet your employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, pay fairly. Get the President out to meet employees. In my two years, I never met, or even saw, him in person.

5. Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Logan, UT

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been a massive learning opportunity that has be evident in the growth of knowledge and skills I've acquired. The pay for the area I live is good. At my location there are a lot of great people to learn from.

Cons

At my location, there is no official plan in place to try to keep interns on after the internship - I'm hopeful to get a continuance, but have no idea if it will happen.

Advice to Management

I was told only to focus on one project. I would have been more satisfied with taking on one big project and several smaller ones to facilitate growth and training for future opportunities.

6. Decent Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

-Close intern group -Executives are always willing to meet interns and network

Cons

-IT may not have much work at times -Don't see interns as an asset to the company, just an opportunity to learn and network.

7. Product Specialist; Marketing Communications

Former Employee - Marketing Product Specialist in Boulder Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Product Specialist in Boulder Creek, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Less than a year)

Pros

Acceptable salary, compensation, and benefits

Cons

A huge, impersonal company with with way too many vice presidents. They aquire smaller companies then start cutting.

8. firmware engineer

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Katy, TX

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it has 9-80 schedule. Meaning to get every other friday off.

Cons

The work has too many meetings. each year has no bonus.

9. Summer Intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Nice and Talented people. Good university relations team.

Cons

Salary is not competitive .

10. Operations Intern

Current Employee - Operations Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Intern in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

-meet like-minded people -great pay for a summer internship -get to know what it's really like to work for a top biotech company -anyone is willing to talk to you

Cons

-high stress -sometimes I wasn't assigned anything and it was hard to find stuff to do to still put in hours

11. R & D Single Use Intern

Current Employee - R & D Single Use Intern in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - R & D Single Use Intern in Logan, UT

Pros

You have plenty of resources to complete your projects. Management is great and Mentors provide valuable feedback. Pretty interesting work and everyone that you work with is fairly easy to work with.

Cons

The problem that I had was having enough to do as an Intern. Many times I had to go ask for more projects and things to do to keep myself busy. Sometimes the red tape of a corporation makes things take way longer than they should.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun and outgoing atmosphere up. That provides a fun place to work and Innovate. When You hire an intern make sure you have 3 or 4 projects for them instead of just one.

RSS Feed </> Embed