Things Remembered

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.9

Lisa Gavales

Pros
  • Best things are satisfying the customers and engraving (in 6 reviews)

• Creativity in engraving is fun - if you are a skilled engraver (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks or bathroom you will generally be working by yourself (in 18 reviews)

• Engraving is fun but can't get the work done on single coverage, can't pee, can't eat (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Three years well spent at a good company

Former Employee - Supervisor in North Jackson, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor in North Jackson, OH

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relationships, experience, new opportunities to branch out into different areas of expertise, work/life balance

Cons

Salary / wages, scheduling for hourly employees in production is difficult. Company is in transition right now which can be unpredictable.

Dysfunction

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time

Pros

They hire at the low end which means more experience for under qualified workers.

Cons

Micromanagement at all levels and overall dysfunction.

Better communication is needed between the home office and stores.

Too much for too little money

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to engrave gifts, prepares you for more social jobs, training in persuasive selling, somewhat interesting workplace.

Cons

Too much paperwork, training, and overall responsibility for being paid minimum wage. Part time hours are basically none (like 4 -12 hours, I've had only 4-8 hours a week most of the time) except around Christmas time, no matter how many yrs you've been there. Never got a raise over minimum wage in over 4 years with them. Feel like I'm ripping off customers by how ridiculous the engraving charging is. Product quality is poor on most of the items. Had daily and weekly goals to help keep us "motivated", but the persistent sales pitches was annoying to do, and annoyed our customers.

This job is way more simple than what you're trying to make it be. Put the customers and employees more in mind with a more easy going setting, and business would probably do a lot better, rather than stuffing scripted pitches and ridiculous prices down our throats.

Good in some aspects

Current Employee - Seasonal Engraver
    Current Employee - Seasonal Engraver

I have been working at Things Remembered

Pros

Good environment with fun coworkers.

Cons

10 hour shifts during the holidays without breaks.
    Unorganized Management.

Invest in the employees

Like it here

Current Employee - OHIO in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - OHIO in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Things Remembered

Pros

Like with the team I work with

Cons

Have to learn to multi task

Make it simpler I

Good company for the single or childless

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Things Remembered

Pros

Easy environment most of the year

Cons

Too many changes, low store staffing, no breaks, rude customers always holding your job over your head

Stand behind the policies and support the store management team who are being paid to follow it and enforce it

Over worked and under paid

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time

Pros

It's nice to learn how to work the engravers and to get to create some lovely pieces, this job gives you a good dose of responsibility, most of the co workers are really nice and you get to know everyone really well, the wonderful customers outweigh the bad ones and that's a plus.

Cons

Where to start? I was hired in as an Assistant Manager. I had 3-4 days of bookwork/on hands training and my manager had to leave so I literally had to run the store by MYSELF with no prior management experience. During my first 6 months I ran the store by myself more than I "assisted" in managing it. My current manager has recently quit so here I am once again running the store for almost 3 months, keeping the store kept up, doing all of the paper work/visual changes, etc etc and still on my assistant managers pay. I've talked to the DM, I've taken the SM test and ha e passed but still they beat around the bush. They are having a profitable store running on the lowest labor costs possible! You only work single coverage, no breaks, no food or drink if you forget it at home, youre expected to constantly stand with no breaks, expect to treat every customer like royalty all the while engraving their items and doing their weekly visual changes, managing phone orders and online orders, cleaning/stocking the store, and paper and you better keep a smile on your face while doing it! I feel absued and tricked. I no longer feel like a human being.

Get it together. Be humane to your employees who do so much for you. Give us better better pay, more hours/workers so we can actually have a day off. Stop having weekly visual changes. Customers complain about the store being changed around so much. Stop being such a shady and greedy business.

Corporate dysfunction

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount is generous, sample sales once a year, pay was decent.

Cons

You are micromanaged to the core. "We've always done it this way" is their motto, even after its been pointed out that their way isn't working. Meetings upon meetings of nonsense, absolutely no work/life balance, and nobody in charge brave enough to make impact changes. Sales were dismal when I was there and have continued to decline. Things Remembered will soon be going the way of other out of business retailers. They don't have a sustainable business model and are unable or unwilling to address their fierce internet competition.

Great place to work if you like to sell!

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement to Training Manager, Asst. District Manager & District Manager!
    Get to help customers create great messages for important occasions in their lives and gift recipients. Very creative job! Every day is different!
    Work with great people who truly value me.

Cons

Because we engrave everything we sell, you need to be good at multi tasking.
    Payroll is lean but it's manageable.

Keep it simple by improving communication and workload. Don't cut anymore payroll!

Challenging but love it

I have been working at Things Remembered

Pros

If you work hard it pays off. Everyday is different and new. Expectations are very realistic. Prep is key to being successful

Cons

Payroll, hiring people who have time management, having the same experience from store to store

All managers should be accountable to the same set of expectations