Think Big Analytics

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
4.8

Ron Bodkin

Good Place to learn and apply big data technologies

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to play with big data technologies. Have lots of good senior architects from whom one can learn a lot. Teams are very closely knit.

Cons

There is no annual bonus compensation for engineers which is a big downer. Think Big is a great place to learn but no opportunities to grow here. The middle management hardly listens and understands the engineers career aspirations. Good place for couple of years to learn but no growth opportunities.

Consider bringing in annual bonus for engineers. Give opportunities for engineers to grow in the company.

Great Company to learn and grow with

Current Employee - Staff Data Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Think Big for almost a year. The experience has been very rewarding - there hasn't been a single day when I didn't learn something new, very steep learning curve (I like to say almost a straight line), great mentors who care about you and your career, chance to work with some of the most innovative companies in the world, get hands-on experience with latest big data technologies, participate in seminars, big data conferences, limited travel (YES, we only travel when needed, not every mon-thu like a typical consulting firm) and the list goes on....

Think Big cares about its employees, committed to building a great company culture. The company is growing at a very fast pace and recently got new office spaces in New York and Boston.

In all, if you want to work with the leaders in big data space, not scared of being on your toes and learning new technologies every day, Think Big is the place to be !!!

Cons

Development and Training Programs are not yet properly defined which makes it hard to get approval/sponsored for professional development courses/certifications. The management is trying to solve this problem and will hopefully have well-defined policies for career enhancement opportunities soon.

Glad to be part of the journey!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team is comprised of industry leaders working on cutting edge projects at fantastic clients. The client list is truly amazing for the size of the company. It is not often in technology that you get opportunities to help large corporations transform their business.

Internally the company is comprised of top notch employees. Hiring is focused on great people first then technical skills - not often repeated in tech. The culture, while young, is very strong - the focus is on "work hard play hard".

Cons

Think Big Analytics is a startup consulting firm which is not for everyone, as others have mentioned there are stressful times but that is the nature of the business. Growing pains are guaranteed over the next several years and process is still being ironed out. Management is committed to solving these problems.

While this is in the "Cons" section, i would say it's really more of a guide for people considering employment, Think Big is Awesome, you just have to know what you are signing up for.

Keep up the good work!

Think Big Analytics Response

May 23, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback. The management team here at Think Big Analytics is committed to making this company a great place to work. We are growing fast, but appreciate the insights on getting ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with the industry leader.

Current Employee - Principal Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

My colleagues are tremendous. Think Big has assembled the best minds in the industry that are fully dedicated to building a successful company.

Executive leadership has a lot of trust in their employees. This leads to a natural freedom in how we achieve results at clients.

Travel is "when needed". Unlike my previous employer, where the travel model was M-Th at all times, Think Big employees only travel to support a business or project requirement. Typical travel is between 15% and 25%.

Cons

I would like to see an accelerated plan for East coast office space. This would help support an even better culture within the company.

Great Place to be a Team Member - Jump on the Rocketship!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

This place is filled with smart and motivated people where you get to work with bleeding edge technology. Overall I love coming to work, I love the people, feels like a big collaborative family. We have Fun Friday where we atleast have a company sponsored lunch and try to go do something fun as a team. The leadership does a great job make you feel like you are and integral part of the growth of the Company.

Cons

A little top heavy with upper level execs leading to too many cooks in the kitchen. But as we have grown this seems to be improving

delegate decision making to practice managers, and keep this place growing. It is a great opportunity to be apart of the team! Thank you!

Great place, smart people

Current Employee - Data Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The first thing I noticed after I started to work here was that I was surrounded by smart people. Everyone here knows what they are doing and are passionate about BIG DATA. For me, travel is less than 20% because we only travel when it is necessary. Also, the executive team try hard to make Think Big a good place to work at and plan interesting activities on Friday. It is definitely a joy to work here.

Cons

The Chicago office is still kinda small comparing to the other two offices so it is hard to plan activities here.

Incredible Place of Great Minds Helping Each Other Grow in a Hot Space

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-A company that when you talk about it to your friends, family, strangers, whoever literally wows people
    -Cutting edge technologies and Incredibly intelligent people to grow from
    -Interesting projects that are fact paced and involve Big Data technologies
    -Fun Fridays where the company does something fun and usually memorable every Friday
    -Nice work-life balance
    -Networking potential both on the technology and business side
    -Good benefits and salary

Cons

-If you are someone that likes a large amount of structure this may not be the best place for you. Get ready to adapt to change in a fact growing start up

-Quite top heavy with leadership and seniority for our size which allows for growth and experience building, but makes it difficult some times with too many chefs in the kitchen concept

A technology rocket ship ride.

Current Employee - Principal Data Architect  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Data Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get constant exposure to new technologies (4 Hadoop distributions, numerous NoSQL services, search, distributed services, admin clients, queues, file formats, algorithms, monitoring services,...) and many new business models, and working with new people (executives, engineers & architects) all the time. We're hiring brilliant people all the time. Never a dull day.

Cons

Still growing the Boston area and the company is fiscally responsible so still looking forward to getting a local area office. Being spread out also means we have to work a lot harder to build relationships with colleagues. On average, I travel a couple times a month. This can be inconvenient and usually my personal circle can pickup the slack, there's some juggling but there's usually some flexibility and it works out. The trade off is starting new projects and the next new thing vs. constancy.

Boston Office

Very positive

Current Employee - Consultant - Data Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant - Data Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is interesting. You get to use cool cutting-edge technologies, work on challenging problems, and learn a lot. Also, since it's a consulting company, you get to switch to a totally new project every couple months to a year, instead of working on the same exact product for years. Travel is minimal enough to be exciting without generally being a burden. Executive leadership is great and very approachable. Company culture is reasonably fun and relaxed. Everyone is friendly.

Cons

Engineering practice, e.g. QA, code reviews, best practices, etc., are currently a little bit lacking but improving very quickly.

Think Big Analytics Response

May 23, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback. We just recently had a methodology summit that helped solidify and codify many of our engineering, data science and project management practices! Stay tuned for more ... More

A Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Think Big Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full of exciting new technologies to learn and to work with;
    A dynamic and growing list of clients, including some industry leaders;
    Great management style; Open environment; Open communication.

Cons

Can't think of one at this time.

Keep the current style and momentum.

Think Big Analytics Photos

Worked for Think Big Analytics? Contribute to the Community!