Think Finance

Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCasual dress code
    Good benefits
    Awesome culture

ConsRapid growth then layoffs happen

Undecided...

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI've come to grow to love the company that I work for... certain coworkers of which have now become friends..
    Pay is great! benefits are awesome, we have the ability to work from home, take off whenever needed...
    Think Finance is like family... but a dysfunctional family... Let me elaborate

Cons1. Management and processes fly by the seats of their pants
    2. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes
    3. Some of management take their employees for granted, treating them like their efforts are a waste of time, making them feel like their are idiots.... Some of them persecute without even extending you a trial to defend yourself.
    4. Management and processes deflate employee moral... As we don't know if we are suppose to be going are coming...
    5. Lack of direction because management seems to be busy doing everyone else job
    6. Huge silo's
    7. Ego's keep us from moving forward
    8. Good old boy system
    9. We work harder not smarter
    10. No defined processes, tools or workflows to establish standards
    11. On-boarding process basically leaves one to drown, if no one else try to jump in and save you
    12. They over look hard working employees capping them from growing in the organization and will hire a complete stranger to do the exact job that the faithful employee has been doing
    13. Development projects operate with an open checkbook... no commitment to an approved end set of requirements
    14. We have seen and experienced mass exodus.... of key employees {That should be an eye opener}
    15. Very stressful, chaotic, high-paced environment and if the company is going to require us to perform so many evasive maneuvers then they need to equipped us with the right tools
    16. Company needs to set down with lower level employees and understand our pain points, issues, concerns and problems
    17. One and done concept forces us to satisfy so many different audiences, causing extensive rework to gain approval from the mindset of various stakeholders and even ppl that are not approves of the projects
    18. Task seem to be more of a throw away and don't actually come to life
    19. Creativity seems capped now
    20. Employees are drained and the passion that we once had is dying and their are management members that are watching us dye off...

Advice to Senior ManagementFIXED US BEFORE YOU LOSE US!
    I LOVE THIS COMPANY BUT I HATE THE DIRECTION THAT WE ARE GOING IN...
    TAKE THE TIME OUT TO SPEND A DAY IN THE LIFE OF THE LOWER LEVEL EMPLOYEES AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE CONs THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REPORTING ON THIS SITE.
    WE ARE BROKEN, CAN YOU PLEASE HELP TO FIX US?

Signed I love the company, but I'm not in love with it anymore....

Great place to work.. horrible products.

ProsHappy hours.. keg in the office every other friday. Super casual - no dress code.

ConsManagement changes directions faster than a super ball.. be prepared for sudden stops.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time gathering information from lower level employees.. you don't know what is going on soon enough and it causes sudden "revelations" and much wasted effort and resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am very happy working at Think Finance

ProsThis is a fantastic place to work. Just about everything is a Pro and I hate to list them as one may seem to have priority over the other.

Location (Fort Worth my favorite - or Addison if you prefer)
    Competitive pay.
    Dress Code
    Frequent and Honest communication from management
    Opportunities

ConsIt is hard to understand the mindset of our customers. They want/need our products, but they accept great cost in order to have access to quick money. One has to wonder what is so important they are willing to pay these high interest rates. I think the company responsibly lends money. There is no secret to what you are getting in to. Many of our customers are repeat customers.

The velocity of change at Think Finance is difficult for some. I like it.

Excellent Organization From Top to Bottom

Programmer (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThink has a laid back environment with decent benefits, time off and competent management. My managers really listen to my feedback and implement improvements. They also check in regularly to ensure I feel my career growth is being maximized.. They recognize well.

ConsRegulatory uncertainty has lead to layoffs that were very disheartening. The pace of change is breakneck with the common office phrase a month is like a year elsewhere holding true. Despite the emphasis on health the job itself doesn't always promote good practices for long term health. At times it seems like the company is so short term focused the long term suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to plan for breakneck times before they are upon us. Try to maintain work-life balance better for employees down the line. Look at ways to reduce the overall stress caused by the fast pace.

Running Too Hot

IT Manager (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsInnovative products, some good people, compensation pretty good, but be prepared for long hours and constant redirection.

ConsMost often there are unrealistic timeframes to accomplish work. Work/life balance is out of whack. There are high walls built between groups which does not facilitate deep collaboration. The result is mistrust and too much politics being played. Reorganization occurs every other month. Middle mgmt. more worried about keeping their jobs than building great products.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some root cause analysis and fix some of the reoccurring problems! Cycles of rapid expansion and then dramatic downsizing and collapse makes for unstable workforce.

Smoke & Mirrors - Don't waste your time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is pretty good, but you'll get sucked into the ThinkFinance vortex and before you know it, you'll have wasted a couple years of your career with nothing to show for it.

ConsWhere do I start? Anyone saying this is a great place to work is delusional. All you need to know about this company is that they've had a least two huge riffs in the last five years (at least 40% of their work force both times). Clearly, upper management didn't learn from the first massive layoff, again expanded too quickly and had to hit the breaks and reset again. Combine that with the highly volatile regulatory environment and you've got a recipe for disaster. They'll attempt to woo you with stories about how they'll be trying to go public soon, but trust me - its not happening. They've said it every year for the last 7 years. Particularly unimpressive also is the VP of Marketing, who was the worst manager I've worked for in my career. It's not surprising his entrepreneurial venture prior to joining ThinkFinance was a failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat kind of message does it send when you layoff nearly 40% of your staff and keep sponsoring the ridiculous cycling team? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars does it take to keep up that charade? Is there any possible PR/Marketing/Advertising benefit to it? It's highly unlikely that you reach any of your customer demographic with those activities....NASCAR would be a better fit. Seriously, let go of the cycling and figure out how to grow the company without having to lay off the half the staff every couple of years.

Don't work here if you want to develop your career in your field!

Manager (Former Employee) Addison, TX

Pros- Casual dress code
    - 2 monitors (?)
    - Competitive salary

Cons- Politic
    - Power game between teams
    - No roadmap for the product as well as marketing plan
    - No professional people in their area
    - Based on the employee survey, about 80% internal employees are not trust the company
    - No HR privacy. Complaints are not taking seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making politics obvious be inclusive and communicate and do not tell a lie to your employees!

Good Developers and use of technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUse of common Dev and QA Tools
    Communication
    Teamwork and promotion of the Team
    Excellent Project Managers

ConsInconsistent project prioritization
    Reluctance to alter project work as needed

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a project's requirements are reduced, offer IT team work on other ongoing projects with continual requirement growth.

Really enjoy the people I work with

ProsGreat people. Ethical company. World of opportunities for someone who is willing to work for and towards them.

ConsIT Management a bit unstable, Products are politically silo'ed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of the decisions of middle management based on politics and not necessarily what is best for the company. Check the facts from the VP's

Worked for Think Finance? Contribute to the Community!