Think Surgical Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Dr. In Mun

1. A great place for the self motivated.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can literally write your own ticket at this company. I have to say my experiences have been much better than most people report on this site. I have been given unfettered freedom to follow any avenue I wanted within the company and have had a lot of fun doing so. I can walk into the Dr. Muns office at any time and declare "I have a crazy idea..." . I have found my thoughts did not fall on deaf ears. I have been allowed to pursue my ideas and have had great experiences creating new things for the company. The benefits are good, the atmosphere is stimulating, pay raises are dependent on making serious contributions. That is why I am still hanging in here, besides, I really like my boss and the CEO. A couple of great guys to work with.

Cons

If you are a 9-5er, and want to sit in a cube just doing your job climbing the ladder, you're probably not going to be happy here. I think it's why I see so many office politics fails. Some people keep trying to play those games, but in the end, it always seems to backfire on them. This is a place for those who are bold, who take initiative, and are not afraid to admit their mistakes, learn their lessons and move on. It's a small company, and so this is not a place for those used to the typical corporate environment. If you're from that kind of environment, then a fast paced, "you're going to wear many hats" kind of place may not be for you. If you need constant direction, you're likely not going to be happy.

Advice to Management

In truth, I am not management or a CEO. I have seen what management is up against, and in all honesty, I don't think I could do a better job. I see lots of comments coming from those who find it easier to criticize than contribute to solutions. My motto - solutions, not problems.

ABANDON SHIP!

Pros

Some nice people, company provides free lunch on Friday's. Well funded with large facility. You can get medical experience before moving on to another company.

Cons

Non-existent sales team, up against deadlines with zero sales to date. Unusable product for the U.S market. Incompetent managers at every turn. Like the sinking Titanic people leave every day. Low morale.

Advice to Management

Close the doors.

Not the Best

Pros

Well funded. It does not make sense given the track record. This company was a leader in its field decades ago but declined. Now the technology is obsolete but I guess good enough for some people. Good place to be if you want to collect a paycheck without much effort. However, a few managers are demanding and some engineers have to work long hours. Try to find out what the schedules are like in the group you are considering joining.

Cons

Incompetence reigns supreme! The whole company is based on CYA, blame others, who cares if anything gets done. No product to demo? No problem, pretend. For employees with personal integrity, this place is a very poor fit. CEO has no leadership abilities and that carries down the management chain.

Advice to Management

None.

Toxic management

I worked at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of very nice employees, pressure is low at times. This is good opportunity if you want to learn and go to another company.

Cons

A lot of low or non-performers dragging down morale. Just about everyone in management is incompetent or a big personality. Managers actively gets in the way of doing things. CEO doesn't like being challenged and does not remove toxic managers, which is everywhere. To sum it off, this company heavily rewards big talkers and yes-men, but hard-working employees are all kicked aside, or leaves.

Advice to Management

No advise will help - completely new leadership is required.

Company with potential

Pros

The Robot is cool and exciting to work on. Employees are good to work with nice and smart, and managers are easy to work with. They feed us well with donuts, Friday lunches, snacks, and occasional team activities like the recent bowling event are awesome! PTO is pretty good and medical benefits are paid for. What else can you ask for?

Cons

Mixed bag. Executive team does not seem to be on the same page which creates some frustration. The managers seems like they are doing their best, so I hope they get their act together sooner then later.

Advice to Management

Clean house on non-performers, reward the hard working employees and provide competitive benefits like performance bonuses and 401k.

7. Learned a lot! Great internship experience!

Pros

Was not babied and was treated as a member of the team from the get go. Handed an independent project to finish over the course of the summer.

Cons

At times, things were lax and could have used a little more energy. Still, there were pros to being laidback.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow talent development and really promote as many young and talented employees to reinvigorate company!

Don't be fooled.

Pros

Robot, location, industry, robot, robot.

Cons

No one communicates effectively at any level. No one knows what is really going on but lots of puffery can be counted on. Lot of turnover resulting in delayed and misaligned programs. Burnout is high. Expectations are unclear. Chaotic.

Not a great company to work for- you've been warned

Pros

Technology is standard. Just show up at work makes you a good employee. I worked here for 3 years, it use to be an Indian owned company then bought off by an Asian company.

Cons

They need to replace all the managers and start fresh. Incompetence breeds incompetence.

Advice to Management

You need to close some doors to open new doors to bring you success.

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical (More than a year)

Pros

They pay salaries on time.

Cons

This is an organization that hires/promotes/retains highly political managers. Competent managers who try to do the right way are pushed out. Technical ability does not seems to be a necessary qualification to be promoted into management. The product quality suffers. Worker bee morale is low. Upper management does not like to hear that there are problems. He loves people who tells him what he wants to hear, true or not.

Advice to Management

To the CEO: hire managers with experience in product development. A fancy prior title is no substitution for experience gained from someone who built things by themselves. Managing mature software product is very different from building new product. You are building a challenging technical product you want people who have built same type of product before at the helm. A PhD is no substitute for real world experience. Open up communications with your worker bees so you know what is going on. Your current upper and mid-level managers will not tell you the truth. This is a complicated product and the engineering management, at all levels, is not up to the task. You still have qualified worker bees in the organization, empower them to do the right thing.

Worst job experience ever

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch is privided on Friday's

Cons

Where do I start? Managers are trained to play politics and hold a knife on one hand. Office environment has low moral. Huge communication gap between teams. It's a start up so everyone wants to be a hero disregarding process at hand.

Advice to Management

Your actions are transparent. Do the right thing bring in real leaders and stop recruiting inexperienced fresh college grads that thinks they know everything.

RSS Feed </> Embed