Third Horizon Consulting Partners

Third Horizon Consulting Partners Reviews

Updated May 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great experience in this established and growing management consultancy in Australia

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsFriendly and supportive people willing to help each other out
    Good work / life balance
    Flexibility to promote based on effort and ambition

ConsNot as much structured training as a very large consultancy however this is offset by more one-to-one support and agility of a smaller setup

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going and keep growing

Wasted time I wont get back

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsIf you are looking for work then they'll probably take you

ConsInability to recruit high performing people. Increasingly getting the rejects from IBM and other places that are letting people go from their own organisations
    Uninspiring and boring work
    Completely out of touch, overly harsh management team that micro-manages every word
    Way past the normal point of integrity and ethical consulting behaviours
    Completely fearful and soul destroying culture. Scared of what to say, scared of back-lash, scared about what is being said about you
    So bad a place to work that it causes stress each working day
    Unable to grow past 70 people despite all the talk of growing to be a global consulting firm. What a sham

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the sham behaviours

Work is uninteresting, Management attitude is immature. Quality of work is poor

Manager (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsA feeling of 'able to do anything' by responding to tenders or saying 'yes' to almost anything and then working out how to do it after the fact

ConsI find the leadership team capabilities and maturity quite diverse. From highly experienced through to immature and competitive.
    The ability to create, develop and nurture client stakeholder relationships is generally poor. At some point in time, when you say 'yes' to everything - the quality of the deliverables and the consistency suffers - this is now occurring. The need for revenue outweighs the alignment of the work or the capability within the firm.
    The portion of strategy work is low compared to PMO; staff augmentation; and the worst - creating deliverables for Government stakeholders that you know wont lead to any change.
    Whilst I enjoy the company of my peers and find many (not all) of them easy to work with -- it cant be said that this firm attracts the best & brightest. Most of my peers do not have Big 4 experience or consulting experience at all. The learning curve for most of them is exponential, the attrition is therefore high (either pushed or voluntarily), and the burden on the Manager level is high to train these inexperienced people quickly. Frustration levels are high and average longevity in this firm is only a year.
    There have been problems with quality and client satisfaction - unfortunately the reaction of the firm leadership is draconian -- more micro management and a very 'direct' culture. Some people can work with this and others can't. Im beginning to have enough of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGain consistency of Director level experience and maturity

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High performance with a human side

Sydney (Australia)

ProsThis is a company that thrives on being good at what they do. The consultants, in the most part, are quite hands on and have a real interest in performing for clients. The general mood floats from a 'team work lets get the job done' attitude through to sitting back and having a joke in the monthly meetings. I've never felt excluded from anything - either to share my opinion, offer my skills where they may be used or casual social get togethers. Being part of a growing company is all part of the appeal for this business.

ConsIt's currently a domestic only business. In the past there has been more international activity. I'd like to see this business go global again.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving and rolling, changing and growing.

Always interesting, varied engagements, working with senior client execs developing and implementing strategy

ProsSome very smart people, from a range of backgrounds. TH has extensive experience in government, utilities and industrial/consumer areas. Junior staff get a level of client contact which they don't often get in a bigger firm.

ConsAs a smaller firm some support Infrastructure (eg. training) less well developed and formalised than elsewhere

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep articulating the goal, and keep building TH as a team.

A short term gig until the better offer

Associate (Current Employee)
    North Sydney (Australia)

ProsAble to do some consulting work for a short period of time until the Big 4 or better offer comes along
    Amiable enough peers but a strong sense that people are always looking to get out of here

ConsA little bit painful having to 'tow the line' from the opinionated Directors and SMs all the time - no time for listening to your opinion or contribution
    Little to no brand recognition outside of the NSW government which is hard if you choose to stay for more than a year (which most people dont do)
    Those with their own brain, their own thoughts and their own integrity do no last long here at all - just too debilitating

Manager

ProsDecent people plugging away. Not for everyone but not too bad.

ConsLack of any significant internal BI/support services

Disappointing start to consulting

ProsLearning about the proposal process, tender response process, building deliverables and other core requirements of consulting

ConsNot a great start to a consulting career - the work is primarily project management office and pretty tedious work for the nsw and federal government. Hardly the strategy engagements that were promised during interviews.
    The culture here is hard to describe but its not positive. There is no common unity here - more watching over your back or finding out that the way to get ahead is to discredit your peers. I hope that dog-eat-dog culture is not common across consulting firms.
    Am very disappointed about broken promises, unexciting work and projects, poor ethical practices, average ability to learn off senior people (they are not that good!)

I am not HR and I can tell you that this place is worth joining

North Sydney (Australia)

ProsBefore I joined Third Horizon I had many discussions with HR, Directors and the MD. All expectations have been met. Very up front and supportive. I quickly felt like part of the team. The people are smart, enthusiastic and collaborative. I have worked in 3 other consultancies in two continents, so have good comparison. Third Horizon is a place where careers can grow & is only limited by the effort and personality of the person. My real test before I started was to check out the views of former clients. These were all favourable.

ConsThis is a small consultancy that is growing. It still has some infrastructure to put in place. The advantage is that people can be part of the development of the business, IP and success stories.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to staff and sharing your plans.

Surprisingly positive experience with a leadership team that really cares

Sydney (Australia)

ProsStrong focus on trying to get things right. A focus on growing the company, and client delivery excellence. They were clear in what to expect when I joined. The expectations have all been met. Nothing was hidden. There were many 'outside' nay-sayers before I joined. I am so pleased that I ignored them and read my own gut. Really great and thoroughly happy.

ConsMore opportunities for formal learning and conferences would be great. The social functions are better than I expected, so I recommend doing more. I am ex Big 4 consulting and see no more cons than during my many years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Third Horizon Consulting Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Third Horizon Consulting Partners reviews and ratings. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Third Horizon Consulting Partners employees.