Third Horizon Consulting

Third Horizon Consulting Reviews

Updated January 18, 2015
Updated January 18, 2015

Neville Bagot

Has been a worthwhile experience thus far

Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great bunch of people to have around the office.
    - Have been able to work closely with senior clients.
    - Decent exposure to the proposal / tendering process.

Cons

- Quite a bit of office politics.
    - Dog-eat-dog mentality amongst senior management.
    - Minimal training.
    - Lack of information sharing systems.

Continue to look for ways to improve the proposal process and information sharing throughout all offices and employees.

Company culture needs to improve. It's the sort of place that sucks the life out of its staff.

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time

Pros

The people, excluding Directors, are good to work with.
    The learning opportunities are quite good, most people are willing to share their knowledge.

Cons

The management team doesn't understand how company culture works. They are smothering the culture causing an unusually high staff turnover rate and making the company a cesspool of dissatisfaction.
    Ineffective performance management system. What is the point of giving suggestions for improvement if you aren't willing to help the person improve? Also, if an employee has no (or very few) improvement areas, reward them!
    No bonuses are given out despite the recruitment campaigns claiming bonuses are part of the remuneration package.

Be open and honest with your staff. Let the company develop a culture that is supportive, not destructive.

Genuine disconnect between what the firm is and what a small, innovate boutique firm should be.

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The responsibilities junior people are able to pick up. There are some great middle managers who are very bright and there is good camaraderie in these circles.

Cons

The firm has a terrible top down culture. There is immense frustration at the lack of communication and clarity around job security. Over 30% of the firm had left last year, which HR and the Directors seem to ignore. Regardless of what people say, if ~1/3 of the firm decided to leave (or were pushed out) then there must be something wrong.

Invest in the systems, technology and training for all layers of the firm. Hire expert help to develop HR policies and please stop underestimating how much your employees know. We see through all the platitudes and will continue to leave if those at the top keep their head in the sand.

Had good exposure and learnings

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting

Pros

I got to work on some good/ interesting projects with senior/ GMs. In my previous job we were just doing small projects, whereas here I was doing much more strategic work for senior clients.
    Overall, had a good time while I was at 3H.

Cons

Plenty in the pipeline, but wasn't always sure what I'd be on next.

Make sure 3H stays ahead of the curve (customer, digital, etc)

A good couple of years

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time

Pros

Overall, I was happy with the place. I got to work on interesting projects and it was a good bunch (mostly!) of smart people.
    I had good access to the Directors and to senior clients, and got to run my own streams of work - so learned quickly - which was important... as I wasn't planning to stay in consulting forever.
    It's a growing and interesting company, so would have been happy to stay if I planned to be a consultant for longer.

Cons

I think clearer pathways for progression should be discussed.
    More interaction and knowledge sharing between the offices and industries would be good.

Keep up the comms, which are generally good.

Been here a few years and liking it

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting

Pros

I have been here over a couple of years now and are enjoying it. I get to work directly with senior clients and do the thinking part... Not just the excel and PowerPoint!
    A good and friendly vibe about the place.

Cons

Lots going on and the company is growing, so I get a bit lost at times knowing what's happening.

Keep the more junior people informed.

Build the brand and presence of Third Horizon ... Bigger and bolder.

Improving but still fundamental issues at this consulting firm

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Efforts have been made in training and onboarding new staff to assimilate them into expected work products, work style, etc
    The Sydney office is the epi-centre of this firm. Canberra doesnt really exist and Melbourne is still not firing. So, if you are considering Sydney then you'll be OK

Cons

Fundamental issue is the lack of project diversity with NSW Government still being the number one source of work. Its boring and not furthering a consultants long term career. In fact, consulting isnt the term for these projects, its barely about project management - project coordinator is probably the right term for the type of projects being won by this firm
    Work life balance is OK and typical of 'consulting' firms, up & down with no consistency
    The second fundamental issue is the quality of the management team, the inconsistency in direction; and how this drives the turnover from the leadership down to the associate level. Very transient workforce where 40-50% of the staff can turnover in one year.

Wasted time I wont get back

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for work then they'll probably take you

Cons

Inability to recruit high performing people. Increasingly getting the rejects from IBM and other places that are letting people go from their own organisations
    Uninspiring and boring work
    Completely out of touch, overly harsh management team that micro-manages every word
    Way past the normal point of integrity and ethical consulting behaviours
    Completely fearful and soul destroying culture. Scared of what to say, scared of back-lash, scared about what is being said about you
    So bad a place to work that it causes stress each working day
    Unable to grow past 70 people despite all the talk of growing to be a global consulting firm. What a sham

Stop the sham behaviours

Work is uninteresting, Management attitude is immature. Quality of work is poor

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A feeling of 'able to do anything' by responding to tenders or saying 'yes' to almost anything and then working out how to do it after the fact

Cons

I find the leadership team capabilities and maturity quite diverse. From highly experienced through to immature and competitive.
    The ability to create, develop and nurture client stakeholder relationships is generally poor. At some point in time, when you say 'yes' to everything - the quality of the deliverables and the consistency suffers - this is now occurring. The need for revenue outweighs the alignment of the work or the capability within the firm.
    The portion of strategy work is low compared to PMO; staff augmentation; and the worst - creating deliverables for Government stakeholders that you know wont lead to any change.
    Whilst I enjoy the company of my peers and find many (not all) of them easy to work with -- it cant be said that this firm attracts the best & brightest. Most of my peers do not have Big 4 experience or consulting experience at all. The learning curve for most of them is exponential, the attrition is therefore high (either pushed or voluntarily), and the burden on the Manager level is high to train these inexperienced people quickly. Frustration levels are high and average longevity in this firm is only a year.
    There have been problems with quality and client satisfaction - unfortunately the reaction of the firm leadership is draconian -- more micro management and a very 'direct' culture. Some people can work with this and others can't. Im beginning to have enough of it.

Gain consistency of Director level experience and maturity

Manager

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting

Pros

Decent people plugging away. Not for everyone but not too bad.

Cons

Lack of any significant internal BI/support services