Thirty-One Gifts

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
3.8

Cindy Monroe

Pros
  • HOme office support extremely helpful, work when you want, 25% commission (in 7 reviews)

• great network of like minded women, great products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • With all Direct Sales some people will think you are trying to "sell" them something (in 5 reviews)

• No cons I can think of at the moment (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging due to lack of infrastructure, process and systems

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Led by very hard working, down to earth, faith minded good people.

Cons

Continual layoffs due to erratic nature of direct selling business.

Need for future forecasting to evaluate overhead commensurate to sales to ensure stability for employees.

Great intention poor execution

Current Employee - Team Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

My coworkers are amazing, the people I speak with on the phone were a blessing and their hearts are in the right place but...

Cons

unrealistic goal expectations, they turn the heat off at night when corporate staff goes home leaving the call center to freeze, preferential treatment given to salaried employee versus hourly employees, no work/home balance, no way to recognize the male employees

be certain to CER ALL of the people that make you rich

Generally a good place to work

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

The executive team make an effort to show the employees that they are appreciated on a regular basis.

Cons

Unfortunately the hourly folks do not necessarily receive the same amount of perks as the salaried office workers. It is difficult for these employees to find a decent work-life balance with a strict attendance policy for hourly employees.

Oversaturated number of consultants

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hampton, VA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hampton, VA

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, good % commission offered

Cons

In my area there are just too many consultants. The market is flooded and I found it difficult to get enough of the pie I may try again if I relocate.

Volatile, unprofessional company does not reflect its mission or culture. Leadership is poor at best.

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most associates (excluding senior managers and executives) are extremely hard working, thoughtful, kind, and intelligent contributors. Compensation was fair.

Cons

The culture has gone from an ideal and positive one to a truly negative, volatile and political one. The associate or sales consultant no longer matters--it's the almighty dollar that rules. The company experienced hypergrowth over three to five years, and when growth leveled off to an acceptable industry average, executives could not deal with the change. Four major layoffs and four reorganizations were held within three years. Associates were hired without any long term strategy or direction and then were laid off months later. Senior managers have no handle on a strategy or direction, and critical decisions are literally made on a whim. Those associates that worked hard to build the company to its current success were thrown out like garbage as newer "flash in the plan" companies and vendors make promises that never come to fruition, and have a life span of about a year. The cycle then is repeated when a new crop of vendors are hired.

If you are a creative professional, avoid this place at all costs. It is a production "sweat shop." No one wants to hear your thoughts--just keep your mouth shut, put your head down and get it done.

Don't forget the people that got you to where you are--stepping on others to get to a higher position or to curry favor with the CEO . Treat your associates with respect and kindness. Develop a actual strategy and plan and stick to it. Get back to your roots. Hire an executive team that will not just tell the CEO what she wants to hear, but what will actually benefit the organization. Be leaders, not just advisors.

Flexibility is key

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Lots of great coworkers. Opportunity to learn and grow within the company. Feel like you have a voice on projects.

Cons

Constant change so you have to be flexible and able to work in a fast paced environment. Heavy workload so it's hard to find work-life balance at times.

Better communication internally for consistency and alignment purposes. Need better future planning to help alleviate workload

Trainer

Former Employee - Monogrammer in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Monogrammer in Springfield, OH

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Fun Environment, Free food, Get to listen to music as you work

Cons

Cuts hours, Lays people off

Don't lie to your employees, they can handle the truth

Cluster F

Current Contractor - Independent Consultant in Dothan, AL
    Current Contractor - Independent Consultant in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I really do not have anything positive to say about Thirty-One. At first I was very excited to be part of this company, but the whole thing is a joke. I have sold Mary Kay and Scentsy and was very disappointed by this company.

Cons

The web layout for consultants and customers is terrible. It is not user friendly and the shopping cart will delete products before customer is done shopping. No dimensions on any of the website products so I have to order catalogs to verify sizes of bags. Product shipment takes forever and there is always a huge list of backorders and products out of stock. I had a huge party order the first part of December and my customers haven't received their products yet (It's January 18th). Needless to say, I have a lot of pissed off people who spent A LOT of money on Christmas Gifts.

You could all learn a lot from the Scentsy webpage.

Amazing very personal company

Current Contractor - Independent Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Contractor - Independent Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewards ands recognizes reps constantly, Good commission, very personal family run company that has grown in leaps and bounds

Cons

There is nothing I could say negative about this company

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours are great. Great location by Easton. Great Atmosphere. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.

Cons

The pay is decent. Other than that I have no other complaints. Come experience this life for yourself.