Thirty-One Gifts Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
107 reviews filtered by
3.8
Cindy Monroe

Pros
  • HOme office support extremely helpful, work when you want, 25% commission (in 7 reviews)

• great network of like minded women, great products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • With all Direct Sales some people will think you are trying to "sell" them something (in 5 reviews)

• No cons I can think of at the moment (in 5 reviews)

1. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, very laid back culture. Casual working environment.
    Lots of opportunity to impact the business
    Lots of recognition by senior leadership

Cons

Lots of new executives every year waste a lot of time trying to figure out where the business has been rather than where it could go. This creates a lot of re-work and hindsight looks.

Advice to Management

Better and more frequent communication of responsibilities

Micromanagement and frequent layoffs

Current Employee - Consultant Support Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They try to make you feel appreciated, but they often forget about everyone in the contact center.

Cons

Salaried/office folks tend to look down on the contact center employees. Virtually impossible to promote out of the Contact Center (even though they hire you in telling you how much room for growth there is). Turn over is incredibly high, and they find silly reasons to fire people who have been there for a certain length of time/reach a certain pay rate. Mandatory month-end shifts (even on weekends) and many times it is not OT since it conveniently falls on a holiday week.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with your staff and they will work harder for you.

Some of the best working years and some of the worst

Current Employee - Consultant Support Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING WORK ENVIRONMENT!!! I currently work in the call center and enjoy speaking to HER* (Independent Consultants). Overall leadership truly appreciates the majority of the employees (salary employees mostly). We have amazing incentives such as huge Thanksgiving meals with all of the employees and they give away free flat screen TVs 100.00 gift cards, treadmills etc. Plus a lot more fun and unrelated work activities and your getting paid! One Consultant asked me on the phone if working for Thirty-One is like working for Google (supposedly the best place to work).

Cons

I can only speak for the call center and as a CSR (Consultant/Customer Support Representative) the job can leave you feeling unappreciated by direct call center management. The expectations of the job can feel impossible to achieve at times.

Advice to Management

Any leadership, I.T., etc making decisions that impact the employees who speak directly to the Consultants on a daily basis need to take and accept the call center rep.s feedback before making huge changes that tend to cause more chaos than help instead of treating us like we are unintelligent, easily replaced robots.

Challenging due to lack of infrastructure, process and systems

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Led by very hard working, down to earth, faith minded good people.

Cons

Continual layoffs due to erratic nature of direct selling business.

Advice to Management

Need for future forecasting to evaluate overhead commensurate to sales to ensure stability for employees.

6. Company is selling-out and began producing lower and lower quality products.

Former Freelancer - Independent Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Freelancer - Independent Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and fun patterns, personal growth, public speaking experience, Christian values.

Cons

Cost to deliver all of the products to customers, increasing returns due to poor quality workmanship or errors in stitching. Became a situation where the income was no longer worth the time commitment.

Advice to Management

Management should consider manufacturing the products in the United States. Buy nice or buy twice - better quality will result in less returns.

Great intention poor execution

Current Employee - Team Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

My coworkers are amazing, the people I speak with on the phone were a blessing and their hearts are in the right place but...

Cons

unrealistic goal expectations, they turn the heat off at night when corporate staff goes home leaving the call center to freeze, preferential treatment given to salaried employee versus hourly employees, no work/home balance, no way to recognize the male employees

Advice to Management

be certain to CER ALL of the people that make you rich

8. Oversaturated number of consultants

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hampton, VA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hampton, VA

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, good % commission offered

Cons

In my area there are just too many consultants. The market is flooded and I found it difficult to get enough of the pie I may try again if I relocate.

Flexibility is key

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Lots of great coworkers. Opportunity to learn and grow within the company. Feel like you have a voice on projects.

Cons

Constant change so you have to be flexible and able to work in a fast paced environment. Heavy workload so it's hard to find work-life balance at times.

Advice to Management

Better communication internally for consistency and alignment purposes. Need better future planning to help alleviate workload

Volatile, unprofessional company does not reflect its mission or culture. Leadership is poor at best.

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most associates (excluding senior managers and executives) are extremely hard working, thoughtful, kind, and intelligent contributors. Compensation was fair.

Cons

The culture has gone from an ideal and positive one to a truly negative, volatile and political one. The associate or sales consultant no longer matters--it's the almighty dollar that rules. The company experienced hypergrowth over three to five years, and when growth leveled off to an acceptable industry average, executives could not deal with the change. Four major layoffs and four reorganizations were held within three years. Associates were hired without any long term strategy or direction and then were laid off months later. Senior managers have no handle on a strategy or direction, and critical decisions are literally made on a whim. Those associates that worked hard to build the company to its current success were thrown out like garbage as newer "flash in the plan" companies and vendors make promises that never come to fruition, and have a life span of about a year. The cycle then is repeated when a new crop of vendors are hired.

If you are a creative professional, avoid this place at all costs. It is a production "sweat shop." No one wants to hear your thoughts--just keep your mouth shut, put your head down and get it done.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the people that got you to where you are--stepping on others to get to a higher position or to curry favor with the CEO . Treat your associates with respect and kindness. Develop a actual strategy and plan and stick to it. Get back to your roots. Hire an executive team that will not just tell the CEO what she wants to hear, but what will actually benefit the organization. Be leaders, not just advisors.

Trainer

Former Employee - Monogrammer in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Monogrammer in Springfield, OH

I worked at Thirty-One Gifts

Pros

Fun Environment, Free food, Get to listen to music as you work

Cons

Cuts hours, Lays people off

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, they can handle the truth