Thomas Cook Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
3.4
Peter Fankhauser

Pros
  • The working environment at Thomas Cook is very friendly and the general reputation of the company is quite good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lack of recognition, jobs for boys (in 3 reviews)

• Mid and Senior Management is Disaster (in 3 reviews)

1. Very good company

Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who show a passion. Dynamic organization that promotes from within where it makes sense. Great external development plan.

Cons

Checks and balances were weak. Subsidiaries not aligned to parent strategy. Salaries were below market averages.

Leverage your core assets and look for partnerships to get you to the next level.

2. Thomas Cook Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook part-time (more than a year)

Pros

At present the company are going through transformation and I would describe this transformation as almost complete and very successful. For my current stage in life the company pays me a fair wage and as sales consultants and we have high earning potential in regard to commission. The main pro of the commission structure is that it creates a fun, competitive although team working sales environment in which all of us work together to deliver excellent customer service as well as outstanding sales on all of our products. This is another advantage of working for TC in comparison to other travel company's, the products we sell. We have an ostentatious range of products and this makes every day different.

Cons

There are very few cons with working for this Thomas Cook. I feel that sometimes there can be worry at work with individual stores futures. I also feel that there should be more opportunities to travel with the company to experience some of our great products.

My advice to management would be to increase the amount of educational trips and training courses available to us as Sales Consultants. So far the change of senior management has been good for the company and I think we are heading in the right direction as one big Thomas Cook family. I would like to progress within the company also, so perhaps I would advise management to make more opportunities to me and others wanting to work our way up available to work our way up.

3. Not just a job but a way of life, within a big family

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

A great place to work, fun, but hard work, laid back but professional, good salary benefits but you work for your money and a very interesting and dynamic environment where everyday really is different and everyone is an individual with their own character and personality where you can be yourself.

Cons

Often longs days and tiring, but with a good team you pull through and find solutions. Peak season can be very busy, and off peak season often no work therefore most positions are seasonal and only downside to position, therefore no year-round stability or permanent contracts.

A bit more stability in the sense employees know where they stand even if no permanent job offers, would be good to know return dates and future prospects quite early on, therefore prior planning for both employers and employees, making it a little more stable.

5. Life changing experience that I would gladly do again.

Former Contractor - Overseas Villa Customer Service Manager in Kefalonia (Greece)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

every day is different, you live in lovely hot places, the team working environment is hugely satisfying and rewarding. You have a great social life meeting all kinds of people with different ages, race, opinions, and all get along like a family as you are all working towards the same objective of delivery outstanding customer service and delivering an unrivalled holiday experience.

Cons

The days are long some times very long ! hours can be unsociable working through the night if on a shift with a delayed flight. Managing customers expectations can sometimes be very difficult especially when they are dissatisfied with their booking.The salary is poor, commission is continually re structured so you earn less and less and have to sell more and more to earn a basic living.

Consider better pay scales for night shifts, increase commissions for high priced trips, incentives for high achievers or for non lateness and no sickness. Full attendance for a whole season with high customer service scores and good sales should be recognised as well as a financial incentive or maybe a free holiday for the outstanding colleague.

6. Fantastic, Admin support within GDM is great, although when employees leave, they are rarely replaced.

Current Employee - Overseas Destination Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Organisation, Company clear hierarchy, training, development, induction schemes

Cons

Managers, Work-life Balance, Poor perks, Employees not replaced when they leave, stretching existing employees beyond their roles

More Development and coaching for managers, more coherency and support from managers (undermine each other) and More rigorous management selection programmes.

7. satisfying employer, but with lower than average team morale

Former Employee - Senior Nodejs Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Nodejs Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook

Pros

google email and github being used for company mail and versioning system

Cons

tight open space with lots of distractions, not enough toilets

put programmers into a different office-one which is not as distracting and preferably with good computers. The current laptops developers get are very bad for developers.

8. A great place to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming atmosphere, a lot of honesty, few pointless meetings, no 'old boys club' feel, a good feeling of optimism.

Cons

Huge company-wide transformation which makes things a little confusing at times, some out-dated, out-sourced approaches to things like IT but credit where it's due, that's all changed and there are actual English people working for us.

Try to move more things back to the UK, overseas is good but you can create more opportunity at home if you open up more. Also do something about the sheds we work in!!!

9. Very pleasant, hard work, long hours

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Gatwick, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, meet new people, most other crew friendly, good working conditions

Cons

Long hours, standbys, delays, tough senior crew members,

10. Not the easiest environment to work in

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook

Pros

The company is in a transformation stage and definitely on the right track. New senior management have defined a vision for the future and are committed to delivering it.

Cons

Business units tend to work in silos and frequently display "sibling rivalry' traits. There is a constant power battle at middle and senior management levels.

Listen to the concerns of your people. They genuinely want to embark on this journey with you but need to feel they are part of the team.

11. Co workers great; Manager a buffoon

Former Employee - Customer Legal Department in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers all worked hard with limited systems and high caseloads

Cons

Manager at the time was awful, belittled people and divulged supposedly confidential discussions

Trust your grass roots staff; you hired them to do a job; let them do it.

Lose the ridiculous PROUD mantra