Thomas Cook Reviews

Peter Fankhauser

1. Very good company

Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who show a passion. Dynamic organization that promotes from within where it makes sense. Great external development plan.

Cons

Checks and balances were weak. Subsidiaries not aligned to parent strategy. Salaries were below market averages.

Advice to Management

Leverage your core assets and look for partnerships to get you to the next level.

2. Destination Rep

Current Employee - Business Owner/Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Owner/Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free Accommodation.
    Working in the sun .
    You gain experience working within a demanding market and customer care in extreme situations.

Cons

Poor pay for the responsibility.
    Resulting in not being able to keep good members of staff.
    The commission rates are not transparent therefore the employees are demotivated.

Advice to Management

Carrot and the stick policy does not work when you have nothing to lose when the pay is so poor.
    Sometimes the experience provided of working abroad is not worth the hassle you get on the job.

3. Great people...but highly reactive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people, very social
    - Fantastic experience in travel/online

Cons

- Not many opportunities for career advancement
    - Lacking in long term strategy

5. Average pay for very demanding role

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best perks of Thomas Cook the longer you work there the better the discount off of holidays and the people are lovely

Cons

Strange hierarchy system very hard to progress vertically but easy to move departments unrealistic targets and rare to non existent pay rises yet targets increase regularly

Advice to Management

Be more positive to staff a happy worker = happy customer

6. A happy employee!

Current Employee - Kids Representative in Larnaca (Cyprus)
    Current Employee - Kids Representative in Larnaca (Cyprus)

I have been working at Thomas Cook (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Thomas Cook is brilliant. It's like being part of a big family. I always feel that there is loads of people I can go to for help, advice or aid. And thats a big factor as to why I have stuck with Thomas Cook as opposed to other companies. TC also provides training etc which is thourough and highly helpful. They pay for flights and pay a regular fixed salary which is also a big plus!

Cons

Homesickness. But that is nothing to do with Thomas Cook. Purely the job itself. And perhaps that there is occasionally a member on the team who isnt someone you get on with. But you can't blame the company for that and in my experience they deal with it very well.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!! I really am happy and proud to be part of the Thomas Cook family. I just am scared of stuff like government cuts or financial issues impacting us. But I have full confidence that it wont!

7. Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook

Pros

people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance

Cons

too many changes in direction

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan

8. Thomas Cook is a truly wonderful and local company to work for

Current Employee - Overseas Kid's Representative in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Overseas Kid's Representative in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Only chooses the best staff based on experience, qualifications, and ability to work in a team.
    They also offer opportunities for promotions through their 'step up' schemes.
    They're also loyal. Their values are precise, and they stick by them

Cons

i have yet to experience any cons for working for Thomas Cook

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

9. A global business with a Mom 'n' Pop feel

Current Employee - Team Leader in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people; everyone I have dealings with is supportive, upbeat, open and honest. I have worked in businesses where things are cloak and dagger, but there's not a lot of that at Thomas Cook. Pay and benefits are really good, especially for the region. There are perks that I haven't even uncovered yet, but for me it has to be the part subsidised Costa outlets.

A company wide code of conduct reinforces all the good things about working for a business whose who reason for existing is to make people happy.

Cons

It's a huge organisation made up of different business units and that takes some time to get your head round. There's a huge transformation going on at the moment, which is bringing a lot of change, that can take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Keep your people and your customers at the heart of your business and both will remain loyal and optimistic in years to come.

10. Amazing experience

Former Employee - F E and Travel Consultant in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - F E and Travel Consultant in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

you gain a great experience working in travel, you meet some great people whether they be colleagues or customers, working as a team you have all the training, help and resources you need whether that be in your immediate team another branch or head office, you get to travel to some amazing places either at a discounted price or educational trip which is covered by the operators or the company, holiday entitlement and pension is great overall a great company to work for.

Cons

its retail so most branches are seven day trading you mainly only get one Saturday off a month have to work some Sundays and bank holidays, the salary is not great you do it for the love of the job though not the money.

Advice to Management

look after you staff they are hard working and mostly bend over backwards to meet there targets and to meet customers needs. Don't let your experienced staff walk they know how to get things done, seal the deals and run the shop in your absence,just to save a penny as new starters need training they also can cause errors sometimes write-off which in the long run may cost you more in the long run

11. I work in the Customer relations complaint department and love every minute of it. Couldn't have asked for a better job.

Current Employee - Customer Realtions Advisor in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Realtions Advisor in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Some of the complaints we receive are brilliant, like people looking for compensation because the weather was not always sunny.

Cons

the only downside i would have is that the pay is not that great for a complaints department. If they put it up it would be so much better.

Advice to Management

Thomas Cook is a great company to work for but we need a pay rise soon or every1 will leave for better paid jobs,

RSS Feed </> Embed