Thomas Cook Reviews

1. Very good company

Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Market Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who show a passion. Dynamic organization that promotes from within where it makes sense. Great external development plan.

Cons

Checks and balances were weak. Subsidiaries not aligned to parent strategy. Salaries were below market averages.

Advice to Management

Leverage your core assets and look for partnerships to get you to the next level.

Destination Rep

Current Employee - Business Owner/Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Owner/Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free Accommodation. Working in the sun . You gain experience working within a demanding market and customer care in extreme situations.

Cons

Poor pay for the responsibility. Resulting in not being able to keep good members of staff. The commission rates are not transparent therefore the employees are demotivated.

Advice to Management

Carrot and the stick policy does not work when you have nothing to lose when the pay is so poor. Sometimes the experience provided of working abroad is not worth the hassle you get on the job.

3. Marketing Manager Egypt

Former Employee - Marketing Manager Egypt in Cairo (Egypt)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager Egypt in Cairo (Egypt)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Aggressive sales targets, which lead to dynamic work environment, however staff are very friendly. Management has an open door policy, always available and accessible during their personal time.

Cons

Staff incentive is not satisfying and not fairly distributed. No clear career path and succession plan. Motivation curve started to decline during the past 5-7 years, since social activities for staff are reduced for budget reasons. No strong corporate culture specially with new staff

Advice to Management

Although managers have an open door policy in general, but employees sometimes feel unfairness and lack of transparency dealing with staff benefits and compensations

5. This company destroyed my life

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

conference time was fantastic and Thomas Cook pulled off excellent managers conference every year ....all managers and csms were really looked after and taken abroad every year

Cons

Thomas Cook need a whole new HR department . I worked as a Customer Service manager for 13 years , I put everything I had in to my job and was a loyal and hard working employee . After having suffered a stroke which was stress related I was bullied by my store manager and regional manager to the point of no return ...having proven this to H R with malicious text messages and a lot of other proof , I was then bullied by H R and eventually had to leave . I have since become very ill and blame Thomas Cook for my illness . I would never recommend anybody to work for Thomas Cook

Advice to Management

Senior Management should take notice of Thomas Cook anti bullying policy as it is definitely not put in to place by the H R team , I was going to seek legal advice but was far too poorly but I may still pursue or publish the book I am writing at present ......no human being should be treated as I was by Thomas Cook

6. Good people, disjointed management

Current Employee - Works In Head Office in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Works In Head Office in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the company clearly takes time to get people that are the right fit. There are few troublemakers or work shy members of my team. Pay for the area is good, although salaries run on a scale which causes some upset.

Cons

Very much a "them and us" approach to management with everything either outsourced (IT, HR, payroll etc) and a lot of kneejerk reactions to getting things done. The pay scales for some jobs mean that less experienced or less able people who look good on paper earn more than people with the right abilities which is annoying.

Advice to Management

Spend more time looking at the people you've got to make positive change, get rid of the crazy management structure and stop outsourcing everything like it's the early 2000s!

7. Great people...but highly reactive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people, very social - Fantastic experience in travel/online

Cons

- Not many opportunities for career advancement - Lacking in long term strategy

8. Good company to work , lots of politics

Pros

Flexible working hours, friendly work life

Cons

lots of politics, no chance of career opportunity

Average pay for very demanding role

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best perks of Thomas Cook the longer you work there the better the discount off of holidays and the people are lovely

Cons

Strange hierarchy system very hard to progress vertically but easy to move departments unrealistic targets and rare to non existent pay rises yet targets increase regularly

Advice to Management

Be more positive to staff a happy worker = happy customer

10. A happy employee!

Current Employee - Kids Representative in Larnaca (Cyprus)
    Current Employee - Kids Representative in Larnaca (Cyprus)

I have been working at Thomas Cook (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Thomas Cook is brilliant. It's like being part of a big family. I always feel that there is loads of people I can go to for help, advice or aid. And thats a big factor as to why I have stuck with Thomas Cook as opposed to other companies. TC also provides training etc which is thourough and highly helpful. They pay for flights and pay a regular fixed salary which is also a big plus!

Cons

Homesickness. But that is nothing to do with Thomas Cook. Purely the job itself. And perhaps that there is occasionally a member on the team who isnt someone you get on with. But you can't blame the company for that and in my experience they deal with it very well.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!! I really am happy and proud to be part of the Thomas Cook family. I just am scared of stuff like government cuts or financial issues impacting us. But I have full confidence that it wont!

11. Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance

Cons

too many changes in direction

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan

RSS Feed </> Embed