Thomas Jefferson University

Add Photos

Thomas Jefferson University President Bob Barchi

Bob Barchi

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work once you get set in the system

Associate Professor (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCutting edge of biomedical and clinical research, visionary top management, lot of great colleagues, highly reputed institution, opportunities to work on key clinical problems

ConsBurdensome administrative procedures, things move slowly and hence takes too much time to effect big changes, information technology services is not up to the latest capabilities, conventional mentality in evaluation for promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get the middle management to make decisions quickly and transparently. Let the competitive zeal of young faculty and students flow unfettered rather than burdening them with a long list of procedures and conventions to get even basic things done.

It was a good ride part of the way

Senior Member (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsA lot of fantastic and caring colleagues, especially among clinicians and staff. Fantastic medical school. Great NCI-designated cancer center.

ConsDeep problems at leadership level for the past decade (and possibly before) with power silos at constant war. New President is inspirational but will have his hands full with ingrained leadership dysfunctions that hamper real progress. Top-down salary-reduction plan based on retroactive performance metrics is demoralizing and will hinder recruitment and retention of faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a careful analysis of the leadership qualities and personality analysis of senior leadership - there must be a way to identify the dysfunctional elements - and then move those individuals gracefully on. Focus on hiring leaders who serve themselves by making Jefferson a winning institution, not leaders who just serve themselves and operate by yester-centennial principles.

Generally OK

Clinical Coordinator for MRI Program Jchp (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsI love the department I work in

ConsUpper university management isn't clear about what's happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear about what's coming up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to learn, but with considerable space for improvement.

Post Doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsAn exciting clinical environment, a lot to learn and to do.

ConsLow salary, less than perfect organization. Some postdocs are treated like animal feeders, the supervisor make them stay in the lab for 15 hours. There is also other people that are rude and arrogant. Yet they are precious to the bosses for their loyalty.

A great place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe pros are the people. Yes, there are some crazies as anywhere else, but the good ones are some of the nicest I've ever worked with. If you don't have a degree yet, the tuition benefits are fantastic! The medical benefits and paid time off are also hard to beat.

ConsAnyone I've known who has left Jefferson is making more money doing the same job somewhere else. The Boy's Club is also rampant here with white men over 55 running the show.

Graduate School is not an easy place

Student (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFlexible hours, independent work, many people to approach if you have a problem.

ConsAcademia is a cut throat place. Hard work is not necessarily rewarded, but laziness gets you ignored.

expected more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe greatest pro is being on a university/hospital campus surrounded by the various team members that contribute to the flow of the company. As a research assistant, this is a great place to work.

ConsThere seems to be a lot of "politics." Jefferson is no exception, MDs are difficult people to work under. Also, I question the money-related research procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should not be so many barriers to proper payment for research grants.

Friendly environment but underpaid

Research Technician (Current Employee) Phila, PA

Prosgood health benefits, normal work hours

Conslow pay for technicians, low raise percentage

Top down approach, doesn't work well.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere are some decent faculty members for research, however current policy changes are quickly driving away faculty.

ConsPoor management. Top down approach, with little consideration of how policies affect individuals. Science facilities are in a mediocre condition.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to your employees with advanced degrees. Time sheets for PhD level scientists shows a lack of respect and trust. This type of policy will drive away good postdocs, which will in turn hurt the prestige of University faculty, who rely on postdoctoral research to fund grants and publish papers.

Great people and great learning experience

Clinical Research Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLots of exposure to healthcare professionals. Great place to learn and gain relevant health care experience. Small department sizes means you are constantly busy and taking on new responsibilities. People are wonderful and very helpful. Easily accessible through public transportation. Good benefits.

ConsThe department I work in is a bit of a mess at the moment. Many people have looked for new opportunities outside Jefferson because of management issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who report to you. We are directly affected by the people who are in charge of us. If they are not doing their jobs well, than it makes it difficult for us to succeed.

Worked for Thomas Jefferson University? Contribute to the Community!