Thomas L. Cardella & Associates

Tom Cardella

Positive growth opportunity.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is very flexible in so many aspects. Ive made sure that at least on my particular program, and i know this also to be true on others, that if you have life events going on such as having a child, going to school, daycare issues, we work with you. Its not a simple, this is your schedule, work it or your fired. Having this kind of flexibility is one of this companies greatest attributes. Does every program offer this? No. But the vast majority will work with every employee to maintain a working relationship. We want you to work, we want you to get paid, we want to keep you here!
    The people i work with are some of the best ive had the privelege of working with. Its a very friendly environment, lots of smiling, laughing, and making sure we are succeeding individually, as a team, and as a company.
    Ive personally made sure that anytime i see an individual who is punctual, hard working, and a natural leader, that they are promoted into supervisory roles or at least given the opportunity to try. Not one person has failed. Every person can succeed here if they really want to.

Cons

Is the company perfect? Absolutely not. But the benefits of working here far outway the cons.
    There may be negative people in every program. People that look for the negative in everything and will tell you about it at any opportunity. This is not an accurate reflection of the company, but peoples individual unhapiness being taken out on our processes.
    The attendance bonus is a common complaint but you wont lose it if you are here on time, leave when you're supposed to.
    Honestly any complaint I can write in here would not be my own, but complaints I've heard from others. I truly believe that your job is what you make of it and I love working here.
    If you focus on whats wrong with your job, you will never enjoy it.

More company wide activity. I'd be willing to let employees throw pies or eggs or etc at me just for fun!

This is not a place you want to work at long term.

Former Employee - CSSR  in  Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - CSSR in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hourly pay isn't bad and you have the potential to earn bonus as well as work overtime.

Cons

Rude Supervisor, way to much favoritism, never knowing when you will get your bonus and if you do get it is it always right( NO) asking to use the restroom like a 4 year old and being told no you can't when your 7/8 months pregnant

There needs to be a lot more training in certain areas and a little less training about things we never used. There needs to be an unbias Supervisors Supervisor and the regular employees need to feel safe in going to upper management about issues on the floor and it not be spread around to everyone via email and then the sups take it out on that person.

Overall ok place to work.

Former Employee - Agent  in  Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Agent in Coralville, IA

I worked at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good money for entry level job. laid back. Some room for advancement. can make up hours. attendance bonus. ok commision

Cons

Not a lot of training. very gossipy meaning if you're not part of the "in group" you're treated differently. If someone in management dislikes you, your work experience can be made miserable.

Give more women opportunity for advancement. if someone is having trouble in a certain area, help them don't reprimand them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wasn't allowed to get the hang of things before being swapped

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative  in  Marshalltown, IA
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Marshalltown, IA

I worked at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some good people while working here. Dress code was easily obtainable. Not too many irate clients as we didn't "cold call" anyone.

Cons

No flexibility in scheduling, poor training for brand new telemarketers (mostly focused on updating "lifers" to current standards). Base pay rate was awful. I was constantly moved to different products. I worked there for 2 months and worked on 3 different products (each with it's own 1-2 weeks of training).

Don't hire people who admit to not knowing sales tactics. They're gonna have a bad time.

Is this how a career is suppose to be?

Former Employee - Agent  in  Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Agent in Coralville, IA

I worked at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hire anyone just to fill positions. Unless severe felonies. Are felonies ok for management?

Cons

Bonus plans and hours can change quickly. Center Managers can yell the f-bomb at you down the halls. Facility is dirty and chairs are broke down.

Be professional. Don't date your staff.

Really Bad - Same Experiences as Others

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean, newer building
    Friendly co-workers
    Plenty of room for upward growth (meaning enormous turnover rate!)
    You can wear jeans to work
    No drug tests for certain contracts!

Cons

Terrible pay. Base + Attendance bonus is less than most companies pay!
    Ex employees say frequent verbal and physical fighting on the call center floor.
    If you are a few minutes late, you lose $100 for the week in lost attendance bonus
    There is NO MEDICAL coverage for full-time people. You are told to buy it from exchanges
    If you swear once on the call center floor, you are fired.
    Attendance policy is very confusing and "blurry"
    Employees are cautioned to be careful not to talk to clients about sensitive things (seriously, do you think clients don't read these reviews?)
    Clock in break room is way off all the time - could cause you to miss attendance bonus!

Why? It's obvious there is no regard for employees so offering advice means nothing. It is the employees who earn TLC money. They way employees are treated, I wonder if it is going to cause TLC to fail at some point. No medical insurance coverage but TLC says "comprehensive benefits"? Employees will LOSE their subsidized insurance working here! That perpeturates swift turnovers. Word of mouth has to be hurting recruiting.

They are very professional; however they aren't very clear about the products they are selling.

Current Employee - Inbound Telephone Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inbound Telephone Sales Representative

I have been working at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well ($7.25 base, but if you show up to work on-time every week you can earn $10.75 an hour and $11.25 an hour if you work until midnight or later.)

Cons

Some of the services they sell seem a little sketchy. Also, the work is very routine and your voice can become sore from talking so much.

Be more accessible and honest about what the function of the company is and what exactly they are selling, and make sure there are plenty of breaks to keep employees motivated.

If you get fired, it's because of something you did, stop blaming everything else.

Current Employee - Agent  in  Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Agent in Coralville, IA

Pros

I'm going to state some of the pro's of working for Thomas L. Cardella & Associates in Coralville, IA. Just so you have it straight out.

-Great pay. (Base is $7.50 per hour + $3.25 per hour Attendance Bonus just for showing up and being on time! Its $3.75 AB for shifts starting after 3 pm.
    -Great bonus structure for the Affinion Group Campaign. You have the potential to double your paychecks!
    -Management is extremely helpful. All you have to do is ask. If you don't ask, how do they know what you need?
    -Overtime is encouraged and occasionally it's mandatory, but you get paid 1.5x your normal wage.
    -Excellent training program.
    -Friendly co-workers. You will never feel left out unless you intentionally exclude yourself.
    -Daily and nightly games and competitions to win extra breaks by getting sales and upsells.
    -Fun, fast paced environment.
    -Bonuses for referring friends to work there.
    -PTA starts accruing the day you start. You get 5 days in your first year, 8 days you second, etc.
    -PTA rolls over! If you don't use all of your PTA from one year, it rolls over into the next year until you hit 120 hours(two weeks) at which point it is use it or lose it.
    -You have 4 days a year that you can miss work as long as you bring in documented proof that the reason you stated you missed work was the actual reason you didn't come in. SO, with that being said, if you get in a car accident, take a picture to show your boss. You get 1 day every three months that you can do this.
    -You can take unpaid time off as well as long as you request it ahead of time.
    -Fantastic open door policy.

TLC&A really does provide you with all the tools you need to succeed in a call center. They give you wonderful training, provide you with top notch supervisors who actually take calls and know how to guide you in the right direction. They expect you to be the best in customer service. Many would put this as a con, but I feel that a company that expects more out of it's employees will last longer than a company that expects very little. It's the expectation that Tom has that makes the customer service TLC&A provides top notch.

The company is expanding. It is opening up a call center in Cedar Rapids that will hold 600 seats. It will be consolidating programs under one roof. It will be more organized. This company is growing, constantly adding new clients. The most recent account that TLC&A has picked up is Verizon. The Center Manager is constantly walking through potential clients, at least 2-3 times per month.

I'm confident that if you apply yourself, take constructive criticism to heart, and grow and learn quickly, you will succeed with this company. There is opportunity to move up quickly, you just have to be willing to apply yourself.

Cons

Some cons of working at TLC&A:

-The benefit package is a joke. For a single person it is a $5,000 deductible for approximately $160 per month. For a family, it is a $10,000 deductible for approximately $190 per month. There are no employer kickbacks for insurance through this company.
    -Management can be flirtatious at times.
    -Gossip is rampant.
    -The same cons as any other call center:
         -Negative customers.
         -High volume calls.
         -Long, exhausting hours.
         -Sore voice after a long day.
    -Only allowed to ask for one holiday off per year.
    -Must know approximately 2 weeks in advance when you want to take your paid time off.
    -Only get .5 hour lunch break. It's not long enough to de-stress before heading back up to take more calls.

I feel I also need to state the reasons most people are let go from TLC&A:

-Swearing on the call floor at any time. (Immediate dismissal.)
    -Having your cell phone out on the call floor at any time.
    -Being late 6 times in a ROLLING 90 day period.
    -Being rude to a customer. (Immediate dismissal.)
    -Intentionally hanging up on a customer. (Immediate dismissal.)
    -Failing calls for the same reason for 6 days in a rolling 90 period. (You can fail multiple calls a night for the same reason and have it count against you only once, but if you fail multiple times for different reasons, each reason has it's own 6 times against you.)
    -Not meeting or exceeding the conversion goal for two months running. (Let's be honest, at this point you are costing the company more money than you are making them.)
    -No call/No show. (Immediate dismissal.)
    -Failing a drug screen. (These are random, and yes, it is an immediate dismissal.)
    -Putting through a sale that a customer previously agreed to and then decided they didn't want.

I'm going to put it this way, if you aren't motivated to keep your job, you won't be here long. This job takes focus, energy and persuasion. You are selling products. And if you are addicted to your phone, this is not the place for you. You are dealing with people's confidential information. Would you want someone who has your name, address, date of birth, and credit card information to have a means to steal your data? I know I wouldn't. People are trusting you with their information, at least act like you are responsible for the 8 hours a day you spend at work.

Please keep in mind, management is not the one who fails calls. These calls are screened by a separate company that is contracted by the client (if you work the Affinion Campaign). If you fail it, or the sale is cancelled, it's because they listened to the call and found an area where you omitted or changed the verbiage of the script that then changed the context. They cover TLC&A and Affinion's hind ends legally so they don't get the pants sued off of them if a sale is put through that shouldn't have been.

I cannot stress enough how important professionalism is in this call center. Tom expects to have the best customer service around. His goal is to knock out the competition and be the best. He is ruthless when it comes to bad customer service and unprofessional behavior and language on the call floor. You only get one chance one this. Every great business has high standards for their employees. You are held accountable for your own actions. Everyone is fired for a reason, you aren't let go just because the supervisor doesn't like you. If you get fired, you screwed up.

Don't be so flirtatious. Keep that out of the work environment. It tends to breed favoritism.

Horrible place

Former Employee - Sales  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Sales in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Thomas L. Cardella & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

those working for Office Depot, need to know that if you currently work for Office Depot, you might not be much longer because they are hiring your replacement.....there's the pro

Cons

They don't care what avoided you from coming to work (car crash, etc.,), you will be fired....management fired groups of people and then was himself walked out by the Owner Tom Cardella himself

Take management classes......

Dehumanizing employment jail

Current Employee - Agent  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Agent in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

some of the co workers are supportive and friendly

Cons

lack of values, favoritism, lack of respect towards employees, attendance bonus,rate of pay,lack of investment in good employees,tunnel vision, claustrophobic oppressive work enviroment.

Invest in the good employees instead of letting quality people go like I have seen over the last 6 months, that you have recently lost. strict attendance bonus policies make this place prohibitive to work for and I have seen at least 3 great employees slip out with better pay and these people are missed. A supervisor who had great talent a young man who was probaly one of the most intuitive and insightful on the floor is gone. You get what you pay for. I know eventually that as long as you do not compensate people adequatley they will go to someone who will.The ccc is collapsing because of harsh policies and low respect and pay for those who deserve better.

Worked for Thomas L. Cardella & Associates? Contribute to the Community!