Thomas Nelson

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Hyatt

It could be better, it could be worse.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsRelaxed work environment, paid time off, slightly above average pay

ConsLack of training, little to no accountability, hard to get promotions/raises even when going above and beyond the call of duty

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where credit is due and engage more in the development of your people

Great place to work due to great people and mission.

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat mission, great people, great product

ConsHigh stress level due to financial metrics being focused on at expense of mission and people

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor and respect those that are responsible for the success of the company. Stop gossip at executive level. Counter productive.

Best team ever; not the same since HarperCollins buyout

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFriendly, family-like atmosphere; above-average benefits; flexible schedule; value of longevity at the company

ConsLack of cohesion since HarperCollins purchased Thomas Nelson; lack of communication; poor decisions from management that affect people "in the trenches" that were never vetted through middle management (or lower)

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk questions, seek advice; don't assume you have all the answers; be more mindful of the way your people are feeling, because right now you don't seem to care

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working at Thomas Nelson until the sell to Harper Collins

Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Credit Services (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat until the sell to Harper Collins. Loved the people and executives. Loved my job in credit department, enjoyed collecting, reconciliations, etc.

ConsCompany sold to Harper Collins, we were the largest Christian Publisher. Harper Collins is not a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementFriendly workplace.

Fantastic Company to Work For

Editor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGrowth opportunities, friendly staff, supervisors who realize that family is the most important thing in the world, supervisors make employees feel appreciated, bonus plan.

ConsSalary is good but not fantastic, very heavy workload, there is a cafeteria but there are only frozen foods or snack options (which only something I'm saying to hit the word count I need).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You do a GREAT job.

Great Company

Editor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood culture. Great mission. The people who work here are top-notch.

ConsSometimes unstable. I've been laid off from here twice. It's a great place to work, but they are constantly contracting and then reexpanding.

Loved my job, loathed the environment

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Management communicates clearly with employees, makes them feel valuable
    Ample opportunities for advancement
    Strong sense of community
    Employee efforts are noticed and rewarded

ConsEnvironment can be very exclusive if you're not a) homogenous or b) a Christian
    Loads of seemingly irrelevant meetings
    Family-oriented to a fault

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. it's obvious that you know your demographic incredibly well and you're inarguably brilliant at reaching it.

A decent employer in Nashville.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood place to get publishing experience.

ConsLayoffs seemed to happen every few years. Diversity is mainly lip service.

The best place I have ever worked.

Senior Editor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe company is very mission-driven. It has clear values that it tries to implement at every level. I love the products and feel proud of what we produce. The people are honestly the best I've ever been around.

ConsLike many jobs today, there is more work than we can possibly get done. The publishing industry is also struggling in the current economy, though (I think) we are doing pretty well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep holding the torch high. Walk the talk. Be the inspiration you want us to be. Listen to your employees and to the market.

A Wonderful Place to Work

Director of Corporate Communications (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsCommitment to Values - Honoring God, Serving Others, Collaboration, Focus & Discipline and World-Class Talent

ConsCurrently offices are on two campuses and it makes collaboration challenging at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job.

Worked for Thomas Nelson? Contribute to the Community!