Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Carl T. Holst-Knudsen

Pros
  • The office is in a great location in NYC (in 3 reviews)

• The Horsham area suburb is a nice area (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor leadership, lack of promotions and advancements, not much job growth, offered training but not particularly focused on job functions (in 3 reviews)

• There is no room at all for growth (in 3 reviews)

Content Analyst

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Pros

Good Team, frequent pizza parties

Cons

Micromanagement, every day you have to log your time and the managers will review/comment on how long it took you to complete each project

Advice to Management

Trust the team

My Review

Former Employee - Content Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Pros

Hours
    easy access to penn station
    midtown manhattan

Cons

Boring work
    poor quality of life
    High levels of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Increase energy in the work space

What it was - it will never be again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Great workers who really try to make a difference. Most people do more than what seems humanly possible in very little time.

Being outside Penn Station is a convenience.

Still some gems on staff, despite ongoing turnover and uncertainty. Work with them, glean all you can.

Cons

This company has been a leaking ship that just hasn't realized it ripped its hull on an iceberg years ago. They keep amazingly pumping out the water, but spinning in circles until it finally slips under the surface to certain doom. But I have to applaud that the band is still playing. BRAVO! BRAVO THOMAS!!!!

Management has too many cooks. Then when they finally get wiser, they decimate the staff, losing valuable job knowledge by dumping the wrong people. They have done this habitually for over a decade, losing key people and keeping terrible ones whose only lone useful attribute is how to survive like a rat.

Leaving computers and equipment of fired personnel in a giant pile in a cube in the workplace is like having a graveyard on-site. Macabre and just plain dumb. And shows the lack of staff to even deal with it, or the space to put it. Very depressing. Probably should be the new Thomas logo, come to think of it.

HR has gone from an understanding and flexible entity to a vindictive and stubborn system that provides ZERO support to regular staff. By making the head of HR a VP, it has sucked out any independence and support and become a management apparatus to remove staff conveniently when it's cutting time. Not only does she sweep out staff with a broom, I've heard she also rides it.

Meeting heavy company because the departments and managers don't work with any synergy. This is offset by time-wasting meetings that suck the soul dry.

The company used to promote independent thinking, but now just wants cogs in a wheel. Unfortunately, that wheel spins like a gas-guzzling Hummer on its back.

Advice to Management

Advice is a funny thing. You share with them for years, warning them what is at stake...but they never listen. They have heard all the advice they can. They let the bad people thrive, cause havoc, and hold on. They let the good people go, losing the workerbees that are necessary to function. Instead the company thrives on dysfunction. Those who are still around since the old days are usually the problem, not the solution.

There used to be a list of Thomas Values. Back in brighter days, this used to be important. The fact that in darker days that it has been lost, or just plain ignored... including by the very people who wrote and promote it... is a statement unto itself. In fact, it is the epitaph.

The CEO is retired, and the kids now run the show. Overall, this is a good move. But, what has been lost can never be gained again. Thomas is still in that flux to still become a publishing company for the new age. Until it gets there, the problems are profound and systematic. When it gets there... what will be left? Won't be you or me... or likely the HR staff reading this.

Cheers.

5. Amazing environment, great people!

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism: Unlike other family owned and small sized companies, people at Thomas are very professional and they take their jobs seriously.

Very Helpful People: If you strive to succeed, employees will help you and spend a lot of time to be a great mentor for you. They make you feel not to hesitate to ask any questions to them, they are always ready to help you. Also, if you share your ideas, there's always someone who values your thoughts and if it makes sense, they take the action immediately.

Amazing HR People: From hiring to on-boarding, HR department make sure you are taken care of professionally.

Cons

They can use a better technology for their office equipment (such as computers etc.)

Advice to Management

Although top management is really accessible, I think there can be happy hours to have all employees engage with each other.

Failing business model

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Pros

Relax environment, Friendly coworkers, decent pay, good work/life balance

Cons

Dumb management, failing business model, won't change for the future. old school.

Advice to Management

keep up with the times.

RIF aside, I enjoyed my years there

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Pros

Good people. Nice compensation. OK benefits.

Cons

Many layoffs company appears to be struggling

A lot of people have left recently, and it is only getting worse....

I have been working at Thomas Publishing Company LLC

Pros

PTO, lots of young people at the company

Cons

Medical insurance is a HDHP causing employees to pay for appointments out of pocket, company does not do a lot for employees (i.e no paper plates/forks,etc in kitchen, holiday parties are not company funded, team outings are not company funded, minimal room for advancement, low salaries, low salary increases for promotions.

Advice to Management

Start finding ways to increase company morale or else you will continue to lose great talent. Offer a regular health plan again. Improve the maternity leave benefit.

Feb 27, 2015HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Like many organizations we have been forced to look at costs, and unfortunately, we had to adjust our medical benefits to the realities of increasing costs.

We are a
    ... More

An easy 9-to-5 with nowhere to go but home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas Publishing Company LLC full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, literal 9-to-5 working hours, friendly coworkers. IT is relatively lax. Everybody knows that nobody cares. When it's 5 PM, you leave, and you don't take your work home with you.

Cons

Poor compensation, awful leadership, no possibility of advancement. We don't even have a coffeemaker in the break room. I don't think I've seen anyone but management's pets get promoted in my time here.

Advice to Management

You know that employee engagement survey you did back in August of 2013? Yeah, you might want to try actually implementing the ideas we presented instead of dangling it as lip service.

Feb 27, 2015HR Manager

Thanks for your input. We strive for a work-life balance that works for the company and our employees who work hard to produce great work.

FYI current job postings are listed on the company
    ... More

Over hundred years in working. Popular in the industry but the current growth is unstable. Glory days are long gone.

I worked at Thomas Publishing Company LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Normal to unprofessional level of interaction in workplace. Upper management is understanding if you have family commitments.

Cons

Used to be a nice nurturing environment. Recent change in company structure has led to a more cut throat competitive environment. Laid off more then 40 people last year. The company is going through a transition phase, hence starting a job could pay off or burn you out.

Advice to Management

People in the same position are paid differently , even if they have same education and work experience level. It would be nice if managers didn't play favorites like that.

Feb 27, 2015HR Manager

We take seriously what employees say about working at our company. We've been in business for a long, long time and since the digital explosion, we operate in an environment of constant change ... More

You may want to look elsewhere

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas Publishing Company LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adding skills to your resume.

Cons

Low pay, management does not seem concerned about employees happiness.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are trying to help you build company morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed